Builds Rocklander Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tires mounted and tested my old Foxwing, didn't think the Foxwing would work with the rear door spoiler, but it does. That said next weekend I'll be mounting the RTT.

The RTT has an annex below it, and I'll have to figure out how to make the annex and the awning work together as there are straps that need to pass through canvas walls.
image.jpeg

Took the 200 out back where there is some 3' washouts. I was very impressed by the amount of flex KDSS can allow. I left my camera, but will test again next weekend, I've never seen IFS flex this much.

I'm also raising the passenger side coil-over. Truck is sitting about a 1/2" low on the front right corner.

I was going to use a Goal Zero Yeti 400 as I quick dual battery since I leave for this trip in a few weeks. I tested a friends and don't think it is the right option. So I'll hard wire a plug like on my FJ. It's getting there.

Tires mounted and tested my old Foxwing, didn't think the Foxwing would work with the rear door spoiler, but it does. That said next weekend I'll be mounting the RTT.

The RTT has an annex below it, and I'll have to figure out how to make the annex and the awning work together as there are straps that need to pass through canvas walls.
View attachment 1270686

Took the 200 out back where there is some 3' washouts. I was very impressed by the amount of flex KDSS can allow. I left my camera, but will test again next weekend, I've never seen IFS flex this much.

I'm also raising the passenger side coil-over. Truck is sitting about a 1/2" low on the front right corner.

I was going to use a Goal Zero Yeti 400 as I quick dual battery since I leave for this trip in a few weeks. I tested a friends and don't think it is the right option. So I'll hard wire a plug like on my FJ. It's getting there.

Wow. Looks incredibly different in the sun. Like a metallic paint that sparkles. Surprising. Looks awesome.

if you get the chance, can you take some additional pics of the foxwing. Been looking at them online, but its nice to see how it actually looks on the vehicle.

View attachment 1270686

Any issues with body gaps for hood and doors after linex. Did you instructed shop to maintain the factory gaps?

if you get the chance, can you take some additional pics of the foxwing. Been looking at them online, but its nice to see how it actually looks on the vehicle.

I took the awning off to make it easier for the tent to go on. Next weekend I'll post some detailed pictures of it.

Any issues with body gaps for hood and doors after linex. Did you instructed shop to maintain the factory gaps?
So line-x makes the material, but it isn't bedliner. It's used for spall protection on buildings in Iraq and Afgan. Its actually pretty thin. Toyotas use rubber on rubber weatherstripping so as far as gaps, it's not an issue.

We stripped the truck down to almost nothing and sprayed everything down like it would be painted at the factory. So when I put it all back together, I did adjust things to maintain a proper gap.

Last edited:
image.jpeg

Finishing up, a week to go before moving and a 35 day overland trip. But against all thoughts, the fox wing works with the rear door spoiler and an annex on a RTT. Just need to drill a fridge plug in the back, and have fun with this truck.

When I get to the next place, 4.88s and air lockers are coming.

Great set up.

So, i've moved from El Paso to Savannah and taken a 30 day off road trip through Sequoia and Kings Canyon NP. Got to spend some good time with the 200 and wasn't surprised at what I know I would still need to do, but extremely surprised at how capable the LC is.
IMG_6236.jpg
IMG_6025.jpg
IMG_6201.jpg
IMG_6340.jpg
IMG_0472.jpg

So some thoughts. I knew I would need to re-gear going into it, and, yea I need to re-gear. 6th gear was absolutely incapable while on the highway until I got to flat Georgia/Florida roads. Not a big deal planned for it.

Crawl control is pretty solid, it definitely is a good system and I'm glad it is offered on these modern Toyota 4x4s. Though I am very glad I decided to save $10k on a '11 over a '13 and just will be going to lockers. While crawl control and multi-terrain select on the newer ones is great, and opens up a whole world to newer off roaders (which isn't that the point, taking people, regardless of their background, to amazing places), it will never be as capable as lockers. So as of now, 4.88s and all new bearings are being cryo frozen and sent back to the best gear guys in the business in my opinion, East Coast Gear Supply. Air Lockers front and rear will be installed also.

KDSS is absolutely phenomenal. Had no idea the 200 could flex that much. It flexed as much as my FJ with long travel front and rear. Truly amazing.

Cooper STT pros. Pretty smooth, very good traction in heavy rain on slick roads, rocks of course, and mud. They are however very stiff, I mean real stiff. Stiff at 20 psi stiff. Stiffer than a 14 year old boy in the playboy mansion stiff. Even with the LC loaded to 8,000 pounds, they still were stiff. I really like the tire, but next tire needs to be a load range D or C for me.

BP-51s. So they are good, but compared to my Icon on my FJ, Icons are better. Ride quality is the same, but Icons are incredibly easy to adjust height and dampening compared to BP-51. BP require the coil-over to be removed to adjust preload, Icons just need the tire lifted of the ground. Adjust the compression/dampening to very tough to get to while on the trail unless you want to get pretty dirty, Icons could be done fast by just getting to the resi vs the shock body itself. BPs are however much cheaper.

Ultimately, I love this cruiser, I've driven 40s, 60s, 80s, Tacos, 4runners, FJCs, CJ5/7, XJs, TJs, JKs, and Scouts. Even with the kinda low rear end, the 200 is one of the most capable, but definitely the best at all types of terrain and carrying any combination of stuff you could imagine.

Last edited:
Had a bit of lean of the right sitting a 1/2" low on the BP-51 set up.

It used to be worse then I found that with the rear springs, "A" is on the right and "B" is on the left. That gives you a 10mm increase on gas tank side and that sure helped a lot.

The front coil overs came to me with the passenger set at 20mm and the driver set at 22mm. Prior setups made me think that was not a bad place to start as the steering column, battery, master cylinder, and a few other things are on the left side, but NOPE. The 200 is one balanced truck and it likes coils as even as possible up front. Especially with the rear right having the taller coil (as per how ARB sets up 200 series, and I must agree with them, especially since they make the dang things and aren't just some installer).

So adjusting BPs are just terrible, Icons are such a better design but, oh well. I have these and I'll make them work. There is a attachment that makes compressing the coil easier, but I found that I would need the world longest spring compressors to make them work so I just did it the old fashioned way, and slammed two compressors on it.
image.jpeg

That took enough tension off the preload nut and I adjusted the left side from 22mm to 20mm and bam! 200 sits within 1/16" on all corners.

That said, when I take the front diff out this next weekend to put an air locker in there, I'm going to raise both sides to 22mm to add another 1/4" of ride height. Just sits a little to low compared to the 2722 rear.

Those 2722 are going away soon once I put a rear bumper on. With the plastic bumper, a RTT, and load out to support 4 people, the 2722s were struggling. I feel the 2722s are good with just stuff in the back, not with a RTT or bumper, but I do like a stable firmer ride.

Last edited:
MAN, I just LOVE the look of your truck with the paint replacement you did. Truly a stunner! Wish I could do that to mine.
I saw the top notch job you did...taking it all apart for application. I can't imagine how much that would cost to have someone do...but WOW. Just awesome.

I was sorry that I was not in a group with you in it in Ouray--to have a chance to meet you a bit more. Looks like you took one fantastic 30-day road trip though!! Holy cow! Jealous.

Take care, and take PHOTOS. ;)

Markuson

MAN, I just LOVE the look of your truck with the paint replacement you did. Truly a stunner! Wish I could do that to mine.
I saw the top notch job you did...taking it all apart for application. I can't imagine how much that would cost to have someone do...but WOW. Just awesome.

I was sorry that I was not in a group with you in it in Ouray--to have a chance to meet you a bit more. Looks like you took one fantastic 30-day road trip though!! Holy cow! Jealous.

Take care, and take PHOTOS. ;)

Markuson
Thanks brother, yea I wish my time off was when you guys were out in Ouray, I really wanted to meet everyone. Hoping for a more stable time the next couple years to be able to join in the future.

Cool story bro...;) And that's not sarcasm! Very nice. What size tire did you go with? I saw you went with the Cooper, but I didn't see what size.

Cool story bro...;) And that's not sarcasm! Very nice. What size tire did you go with? I saw you went with the Cooper, but I didn't see what size.
A 295/70r17. I tested the tire without the coil in and it fit, it was tight, but it fit.

Well, real world pushing on the suspension I get enough rub on the sway bar, only on the right side, when the steering is at full lock to the left, and the suspension is under compression, to take the paint off.

I do my own alignments and will play with that.

You should be able to fit it in there. At one time I had 295/70/18s on mine with minimal rubbing.

You should be able to fit it in there. At one time I had 295/70/18s on mine with minimal rubbing.
I thought also, but the proof is on the sway bar. I can play with it though.

Picture of locker or picture of rust?

Too sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom