1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rochester with no Choke

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by residualboulders, Sep 30, 2003.

1. residualboulders

residualboulders

Media:
    I have rochester car dnon my 79 fj40. The PO that installed it changed it from the linkage to an accelerator cable. The carb has been working ok, but the choke was not hooked back up. Can the choke be hooked up on the new carb? I'd liek to replace with aisin eventually, but since its running fine, money goes to restoring the body instead. Its going to start getting cold here soon and the choke sure would help her get going in the morning.

2. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

If the rochester has a manual choke, I would think it would just be as simple as reconnecting the stock cable to the rochester, if its not long enough you may need to graft in some bicycle brake cable.

3. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

If the Rochester has an electric choke, it is just a matter of hooking up an ignition source to the male spade connector.

4. chaka

chaka

what if it is a divorced choke? Could I still rig it so that I can use the exisiting manual choke cable and hook it up somehow to the choke linkage? anyone ever done that?

also could you be more specific about grafting bike cable into the existing cable.... My manual choke cable is a couple inches shorter than I would need it to be....

Chaka

5. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

Divorced choke meaning one of the ones that used exhaust crossover in the intake manifold? Just hook the manual cable to the linkage hole.
    I don't know about a bike cable, but manual choke kits are about $15 at the auto parts store. :rolleyes:

6. offcamber40

offcamber40

If the rochester is the same kit as the one ive got, the factory choke hooks right up. on the side of the carb toward the firewall, there should be a large plate with a hole in it for the choke cable housing to attach to. On the passenger side of the carb, there should be a attachment with a screw in it (similar in looks to the accelerator cable mounting point). This is where the cable attaches. Rochesters are a ridiculously simple carb, and as far as i know, were all manual choke for the fj40 kits sold.

mike

7. chaka

chaka

Hey there... thanks for your responses... I have a question though

For the carb.... the PO put a chevy 250 in my fj. Does what you are saying still apply? It does not have any choke of any sort on it. It does have the linkage, but no choke that I can find. I should be able to feed a cable in and make it manual, right?

have you done it before and do you have any advice?

Chaka

8. ranger

ranger

Post a picture of your carb? Is it a 1 barrel or 2?
    The choke is either going to be a heat element style, heat tube, maunal, or electric. All depends on the carb, and what year engine it came of off. Need more info.

9. chaka

chaka

it is a 1bbl. ID 7040021 so it came off of a 1970. I have been told it is the divorced choke style....

I don't have a camera but will try and find a similar one on-line.

Dave