Rivnut tool (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Saw a post from a member of the Capital City club about using a rivnut tool. I'm interested in getting one- I didn't realize they even existed. Do any of our club members have any experience with this tool? I see there are 13" and 16" handles available. I'd be most interested in using it for new 6MM and 8MM holes, can't imagine needing 10 or 12MM screws in sheet metal. In any event I welcome any comments or information so I can make a smart decision when I buy one. Thanks!!!!!

Saw a post from a member of the Capital City club about using a rivnut tool. I'm interested in getting one- I didn't realize they even existed. Do any of our club members have any experience with this tool? I see there are 13" and 16" handles available. I'd be most interested in using it for new 6MM and 8MM holes, can't imagine needing 10 or 12MM screws in sheet metal. In any event I welcome any comments or information so I can make a smart decision when I buy one. Thanks!!!!!
They are very handy. I have used them on my FJ40 tub, and even on the frame to mount a bracket for rock lights.. There are a bunch on Amazon.

If it's what I think you are talking bout, I believe I may still have one . Had it to install a roof rack on my old 4runner worked good once I got the hang of it. If I can find it you can have it

Mcmaster Carr has cheapie tools that you tighten with wrenches. I used a bunch on my 40 too.

Mcmaster Carr has cheapie tools that you tighten with wrenches. I used a bunch on my 40 too.

Andy thanks for the link. I wouldn't call them cheapies compared to a kit bought on EBay or Amazon with a gun and inserts but I bet the ones from MCMA are a bit more controllable and easier to work with, and take up less room in your toolbox.
Now I assume if I wanted to put a 6MM rivnut in a panel I'd start with a hole somewhat larger than 6MM in order to insert the insert? Is that correct?

Andy thanks for the link. I wouldn't call them cheapies compared to a kit bought on EBay or Amazon with a gun and inserts but I bet the ones from MCMA are a bit more controllable and easier to work with, and take up less room in your toolbox.
Now I assume if I wanted to put a 6MM rivnut in a panel I'd start with a hole somewhat larger than 6MM in order to insert the insert? Is that correct?
Yes... the long handles are helpful. I have a cheapo from HF that looks like a standard rivet tool and it is am M-Fer to squeeze down on some of the larger rivnuts... I also broke 2 mandrels in the process. The instructions or box rivnuts come in will tell you what size drill bit to use for each.

We have some at work from a company called Zipp Tools, but in your case if your looking at occaisional use its hard to justify it's cost.
The reason I chose this type was that you could replace the mandrel with a regular socket screw if it strips out.

The issue is finding one in the fine thread eqyivalent.

Yes, the hole will have to be slightly bigger but not sure on the exact sizing. A 5/16 hole will be only .005 oversized so I think it should work. Would definitely experiment on a piece of plate

@shmukster - I literally just got an Astro 14” version. I’m going to be riveting in some 3/8-16 nuts to the 40 for one blind hole on each side of the tub for the new flares. I’ll probably be getting to It tomorrow or Monday.

3/8-16 is slightly oversized for the tool as advertised but they do sell the arbor for it. I’ll let you know how it goes!

Gary / Andy,
I agree with you on McMaster-Carr. In addition to rivet nuts in light gauge material, M-C has some low profile rivet nuts that appear to be viable options for applications in thicker material. I have not pulled the trigger yet on buying any for my projects yet, but I will check on your experiences here before doing so. Good luck.

Picked up these last spring - post in the Tools section here: Rivet Nut Tools

img_4633edit-jpg.2304695

They do come in handy.

I appreciate all the input! I've been looking through Amazon, EBay, and Northern Tool for pricing. I also looked at a few Youtube videos that were informative. I think I'm gonna go with the 1442 model with 13" handles. The one with the 16" handles would give more leverage but may not be as handy to use in tight spots as the 13" handles. The uses I have in mind for this tool will use M6 or M8 rivnuts and I think the tool will be quite adequate for my intentions. Thanks again for all the comments!!!!!
When I think of all the holes I've drilled in land cruiser firewalls and such to mount items using nuts and bolts, and many times not having arms long enough to reach both sides of the firewall, sure makes me wish I'd have had a tool like this years ago!!!!!

I appreciate all the input! I've been looking through Amazon, EBay, and Northern Tool for pricing. I also looked at a few Youtube videos that were informative. I think I'm gonna go with the 1442 model with 13" handles. The one with the 16" handles would give more leverage but may not be as handy to use in tight spots as the 13" handles. The uses I have in mind for this tool will use M6 or M8 rivnuts and I think the tool will be quite adequate for my intentions. Thanks again for all the comments!!!!!
When I think of all the holes I've drilled in land cruiser firewalls and such to mount items using nuts and bolts, and many times not having arms long enough to reach both sides of the firewall, sure makes me wish I'd have had a tool like this years ago!!!!!

Hey Gary,

I’ll be using the 13” one to install some 3/8-16 rivnuts tonight or tomorrow. That’s bigger than what the tool is rated for but it accepts the arbor so I’m going to give it a shot. I can’t imagine going much bigger than a 3/8 bolt through sheet metal - so I’ll let you know how the smaller tool handles it.

The deciding factor for me was that Astro was the only brand I could easily find replacement arbors for with a quick search though I suspect they all probably use the same ones.

Alright I did the deed.

Here is the tool, already outfitted with the 3/8-16 arbor.

6E924EAF-DDE4-495D-977F-C429F674EC43.jpeg

You deploy the wings, thread on the rivnut:
C4D34BAB-A034-4CC3-A3B8-0FD54392C8FC.jpeg

Drill an appropriately sized hole and insert the arbor and nut. In this case it calls for a 0.51” hole - I think a 17/32 (or 33/64) would bit would have been perfect, but the best I could do was a (too large) 9/16. Just less meat to bite on but it did the trick. Drill the hole, clean the chips, insert the riv-nut.
501DDA70-C4EE-458E-BB27-C7D279D6D838.jpeg

Depress the wings to deploy the rivet, then open the tool back up and use the crank in the middle to back the arbor out.

D41D9338-5BD1-426D-9BD9-16323007FB80.jpeg

Behold! A riv-nut!

DD05DA49-4850-4C9B-97D4-13E7DCD42BCC.jpeg

I definitely had to put my back into the 3/8-16 rivet but it was totally doable with the 13” tool. I think 1/2” would be doable, honestly as long as you’re using a mild steel nut (I imagine stainless would be harder).

All told it took me 10 minutes on both sides to drill the holes and set the riv-nuts, having never done it before I’ll say it was pretty straightforward! The Astro tool is decent quality - definitely some cheap parts (handles, release crank) but the arms and arbor assembly seem heavy duty enough to hold up to the work. We will see how long the arbors last - they seem sturdy enough but I was using a “big” one.

Last edited:
Even over-boring the hole by 0.05” the rivet has plenty of “meat” to grab. I didn’t hog this cap screw in too dramatically but I tightened it down “enough” and the rivet didn’t spin.

D15366B5-506A-48E3-A691-71930BFF1E39.jpeg

Well I ordered the tool today. I have two places where I can put it to good use before installing the top on the 40 and am looking forward to using it. Bought the 1442 kit on EBay, should be here by the time I get back from the fall gathering!!!!!

The one with the 16" handles would give more leverage but may not be as handy to use in tight spots as the 13" handles. The uses I have in mind for this tool will use M6 or M8 rivnuts and I think the tool will be quite adequate for my intentions.

With the combination of the 1443B for the smaller ones, I went for the extra leverage of the 1452. The 1442 would be the one I'd choose if I just got one.

Once you have it, you find all sorts of things to do with it. We had to replace our toaster oven and couldn't find one that mounted under the cabinet like the old one without taking up a lot more room. So we found one that fit and then modified it.

ToasterCollage.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom