Righty moves to San Diego (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Man that sucks, I registered my 91 70 series a year ago in california with no problems. I too had an out of state title, I think what made it easy was I used a third party VIN verification company instead of going to the DMV. I forget what the form is called but it is required with all out of state vehicles, the DMV usually does it, but you can also go to a outside place to have it done. It is about $250, where as the DMV is free but That way you walk in with the form ready to go and it draws less attention at the counter. I did have an oh s*** moment when the person at the counter said after typing in the VIN "I have to have a supervisor look at this" I sweated for about 15min until the supervisor punched some numbers and reached below and pulled a fresh set of CA plates. I've been doing my part in speeding up the climate change with a smile ever since.

Taking care of a few things in prep for the SouthWest 70's Social later this week. Looking forward to getting Righty out on the trails.

Some basics:

Tire rotation, oil change, transmission fluid drain and fill, new fuel filter

Some cargo space improvements:

Strapped a net across the back to create a simple attic for lightweight stuff
attic.jpg

Assembled an overhead shelf for maps, gloves, and whatever else won't hurt too much when it falls on my head
overheadshelf.jpg

I love this truck. Been driving it a bit more than recently and enjoying every minute. Meanwhile, on the tech front...

Replaced the cracked and 30+ year old (and NLA) rubber "air cleaner hoses" with silicone alternatives. Street cred from the tuner crowd coming my way!
streetcred.jpg

If anyone needs to replace these hoses, let me know. They only sell them by the foot at my local auto parts store, so I have a small stash now and am happy to share with 13B-T owners in need.

Following along threads like this one from @1973Guppie got me thinking about improving the ride on Righty with foam cell shocks. Pulled the trigger (many thanks as always to @reevesci for great service) on some Tough Dog shocks.

Nothing wrong with my previous OME shocks, but they were characteristically stiff/harsh, maybe even jarring...although shock preferences for sure are very personal. Haven't gotten these off the pavement yet, but the Tough Dog shocks feel like a solid improvement so far. Reasonably priced, great performance, very simple swap...and their name isn't too far off of "perro bravo"!

Loved that the bushings were installed already
perrosbravos.jpg

Front
tdfront.jpg

Shiny and temporarily clean rear shocks
tdrear.jpg

Should get some trail time in over the next few days and will be able to do more complete testing. Fingers crossed!

Please keep us posted on your impressions of the new shocks.

Got a chance to try the Tough Dog foam cell shocks on some actual dirt today and have to say I'm impressed! Covered ~75km on trails around Lake Arrowhead with a mix of rocky stuff, some flexing frame twisters and even a bit of washboard. All felt smoother, like the edges had been taken off, without any apparent loss stability or control. The improvement was immediately apparent as both passenger and driver and even my son (now 15, who has been driving Righty on trails since he was 12) commented on the improvement when he took the wheel.

@coldtaco , @fireball , if you're thinking of switching to these, you won't be disappointed.

Some pictures just because...

Somewhere north of Lake Arrowhead
toughdogtesting1.jpg

Along the trail
toughdogtesting3.jpg

As a bonus, since we don't get many opportunities to drive through water in California, I got out and filmed this deep water crossing. The shocks did fine here too!

Refresh me. Do you have OME springs? Mine is "harsh" but it may be that way because I also have an 80.:)

I'm also running and additional leaf in the already "heavy" rear springs to accommodate the drawer and the trailer.

Refresh me. Do you have OME springs? Mine is "harsh" but it may be that way because I also have an 80.:)

I'm also running and additional leaf in the already "heavy" rear springs to accommodate the drawer and the trailer.

Righty has OME leaf springs so I've tried to set my expectations correctly for ride improvements. The Tough Dog shocks are a big improvement over OME shocks on the BJ74 (IMO), but you're right, they certainly don't make it feel like an 80! My HDJ81 has Icon springs and shocks which are super-nice, so certainly not a fair comparison.

That said, this thing is a lot of fun to drive!

snowyrighty.jpg

Righty's brakes have always felt a bit mushy. They worked fine, but didn't have a confident pedal feel of brakes on other vehicles. Pads, rotors, drums, etc. are fine. I bled and flushed with new brake fluid, properly adjusted everything, and even put a spacer in the LSPV above the differential when doing the suspension lift.

After all that the brakes were still mushy, so upgrading to an 80 series booster got put on my to do list. I was unsuccessful at finding a confirmed working used booster locally, so I decided on a new booster from City Racer , @Racer65 .

What an amazing transformation! For sure I should have done this years ago. Simple installation, reasonable investment, and completely night and day brake performance improvement.

Installation was very straight forward, although not technically a 100% bolt in solution. Some research here will reveal the need to extend the shaft heading from the booster to the brake pedal. Easy enough after a trip to the hardware store for a coupling nut (M10 1.25). In lieu of the rather expensive Toyota SST to adjust the plunger heading into the master cylinder, I bought this one which worked out very well. Some longer vacuum hose was the last tweak needed and from there it was simple nuts and bolts.

Before
booster1.jpg

Out with the old. Plenty of give in the lines to move the master aside temporarily.
booster2.jpg

Using the $25 SST (which I'm willing to lend out if anyone needs it...drop me a PM).
booster3.jpg

Finished product. Fits like a glove and the original heat shield and other bits went right back where they were.
booster4.jpg

Took the steepest power line trail I could find (unlocked) in the neighborhood and gave the tires an initial test. Pretty impressive how this thing wants to climb and takes steep rocky stuff with ease, even at street pressures!
wheels4.jpg

Nice view... and a good place to test the LC.
I know where that picture was taken...
The building in the center is where I work.

Last edited:
Officially registered in California! Technical procedure:

1. Print and fill out all the right DMV documents
2. Go to AAA to do registration since you pay for a membership and never get much benefit and don't feel like waiting at DMV
3. Have vehicle inspected by AAA representative (who coincidentally happens to be a 100 series owner)
4. Get told AAA can't complete registration because a DMV "manager approval" is needed due to JDM VIN
5. Go to DMV
6. Wait 5 hours (because the next available appointment is 4 weeks away), question sanity
7. Have DMV clerk fetch manager who literally presses one button on clerk's keyboard (note no vehicle or even ID check at all)
8. Write large check for tax and registration fees
9. Take new plates and go home
10. Drill new holes in plates, mount

plates.jpg
I'm hoping to register in CA as well. How did you handle the smog requirement? I know, mine won't pass.

Typically, tax and title in CA are about 10% of purchase price that you list on the transfer papers. Make sure the diesel cruiser you are buying has a current title from CA or another state as you cannot bring them in to CA direct from overseas. Once in CA, if it has out of state title, i would have AAA or a registered VIN verifier fill out the Reg 31 form that you need to take to DMV. Make sure that they note the vehicle is diesel and not gas.

sorry to hijack your thread perrobravo
Typically, tax and title in CA are about 10% of purchase price that you list on the transfer papers. Make sure the diesel cruiser you are buying has a current title from CA or another state as you cannot bring them in to CA direct from overseas. Once in CA, if it has out of state title, i would have AAA or a registered VIN verifier fill out the Reg 31 form that you need to take to DMV. Make sure that they note the vehicle is diesel and not gas.

sorry to hijack your thread perrobravo
Man that sucks, I registered my 91 70 series a year ago in california with no problems. I too had an out of state title, I think what made it easy was I used a third party VIN verification company instead of going to the DMV. I forget what the form is called but it is required with all out of state vehicles, the DMV usually does it, but you can also go to a outside place to have it done. It is about $250, where as the DMV is free but That way you walk in with the form ready to go and it draws less attention at the counter. I did have an oh s*** moment when the person at the counter said after typing in the VIN "I have to have a supervisor look at this" I sweated for about 15min until the supervisor punched some numbers and reached below and pulled a fresh set of CA plates. I've been doing my part in speeding up the climate change with a smile ever since.

Read through the whole thread, but still wondering about the smog cert? Found an independent VIN verification company that will also handle the title transfer and registration. Vehicle is currently registered in AZ. Isn't smog required?

@TAC5 smog test are not required for diesels older than 1997, import diesels fall under that rule, therefore no smog.

I'm hoping to register in CA as well. How did you handle the smog requirement? I know, mine won't pass.

Welcome to the 70 series fun, @TAC5 . That's a great looking truck!

As @Loober mentioned, no smog inspection is required for older diesels in California. I registered my BJ74 a while ago now and more recently Ochenta, my HDJ81 following the steps mentioned above. Pretty straight forward, especially with the HDJ81 which has VIN tags where the DMV wants to see them.

From what I've read elsewhere here on Mud, it seems things have become a little more unpredictable with the California DMV. Unfortunately, I haven't heard of many people getting through the process successfully, at least not within the last year or so. My only recommendation is to do as much research about the details as possible before stepping foot in a DMV. Patience will be required and you don't want to get on the DMV naughty list, so make sure every detail is right on your forms and even those the DMV people complete.

Hope to see you on the road/local trails soon!

Just because, here's Righty hanging out near Striped Butte (up to date California registration not pictured!)
DV183.jpg

Got the windows tinted in order to cut the glare down a bit. Didn't want to go too dark, so went with 50% all around which seems pretty good on first impression. Need to drive around a bit more to see how I like it in different conditions.

tint.jpg
Officially registered in California! Technical procedure:

1. Print and fill out all the right DMV documents
2. Go to AAA to do registration since you pay for a membership and never get much benefit and don't feel like waiting at DMV
3. Have vehicle inspected by AAA representative (who coincidentally happens to be a 100 series owner)
4. Get told AAA can't complete registration because a DMV "manager approval" is needed due to JDM VIN
5. Go to DMV
6. Wait 5 hours (because the next available appointment is 4 weeks away), question sanity
7. Have DMV clerk fetch manager who literally presses one button on clerk's keyboard (note no vehicle or even ID check at all)
8. Write large check for tax and registration fees
9. Take new plates and go home
10. Drill new holes in plates, mount

plates.jpg

Do you think I would have any issues bringing to California a 1993 land cruiser 1hd-t (diesel) already registered and titled in Oregon ?

Do you think I would have any issues bringing to California a 1993 land cruiser 1hd-t (diesel) already registered and titled in Oregon ?

Yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom