1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SouthWest 70's Social - Oct 27-29, 2017

Discussion in '70-Series Tech' started by wardharris, Jun 24, 2017.

I would be interested in attending

1. Yes

29 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. wardharris

wardharris Supporting Vendor GOLD Star SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    WANT TO HAVE A 70s PARTY? :bounce::bounce2:

For the last three years, our Southeastern 70 Brethren have held a 70 Series Round-up in Alabama and Tennessee. The event has been attended by up to 30 or more Land Cruiser owners. Most attendees arrived in 70 Series of some description, but we have welcomed 40, 55, 60 and 200 Series amongst others.

Here is this year's event thread Third Annual Southeast 70 Series Meet & Greet

Lots of stated interest in a Western Edition of the event. Relatively informal (no ARB or ICON semis in the trade show area) but enough vendor support to give away some raffle prizes. Target attendance, big enough to find people to talk to / hang out with you can get along with. Maybe some catered BBQ (think Katemcy Round-Up) and whatever else folks want to plan for.

Hopefully held at an event venue that supports campers and motel adventurers, with support for families, kids, old folks, young folks, etc. Three days (Friday to Sunday) is a place to start.

My partners @orangefj45 and @jebber are both off the grid this weekend, so I cannot commit for Cruiser Brothers, but I can commit my personal resources - time, money and effort - to help make this happen. That said, it has to be a team effort and all are welcome.

To kick it off, please share your thoughts - what are your personal preferences for location and season:

WHERE
    • Utah / Moab
    • Utah / Other
    • Colorado / Ouray
    • Colorado / Other
    • Texas / Katemcy
    • Texas / Other
    • Northern California / Sierras
    • Southern California / Sierras
    • Central California / Coast
    • California / Other
    • Washington / Idaho / Oregon
    • Other Suggestions?
    WHEN
    • Fall
    • Winter
    • Spring
    • Summer
    HOW
    • Stand-alone event
    • Tied into other activity (like Pismo Surf n Turf)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

MODERATOR EDIT - Dates and info:

SouthWest 70's Social - Oct 27-29, 2017 - INFO

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2017
    WanderinWhitlows and jebber like this.
  2. fireball

fireball SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I would love to go to Utah (not Moab) anytime b/w Oct - Jan. Late fall and winter work best for me schedule-wise for a long trip.

There are already lots of events in Moab and Ouray, so I think another destination might draw a better crowd.

wardharris and beno like this.
  3. wardharris

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks, Ben. Other destinations to suggest in Utah/Colorado?

4. coldtaco

coldtaco

5. wardharris

Media:
    Albums:
    May need to extend the hours :)

coldtaco likes this.
  6. LDowney

LDowney

Ward,
    Thanks for opening this discussion. My experience in wheeling west of the Mississippi river is very limited which I hope to correct in time. However, I have been to Katemcy TX, Barnswell ORV TX and Hot Springs ORV AR. Like everything in life each of these parks have pros/cons as will every other venue.

I am wondering if there are other questions that may need to be added to decision tree? A few questions high in my thoughts are

• What kind of event will the majority want? (scenic expedition centered on access roads from camp site to camp site, hard core wheeling, sitting in a bar with a view of the mountains and the trucks in the parking lot, ...)
    • How long of event will be desired? (2 days, 4 days, 7 days,... what is the appropriate event length if transit to and from the event might be 2 days on each end)
    • How are most 70 series trucks set up? (i.e., does the event need to be planned to capture the largest participation? For example, are most 70s stock with no sliders or other armor which sets a strong tone for what can be done at an event)

Sorry to ramble but my knowledge base is limited, since I rarely see 70s except for my own.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    Gun Runner 5, beno and wardharris like this.
  7. wardharris

Media:
    Albums:
    Larry -
    Thank you for jumping over to this thread and participating. Those are great questions to add and I did not bean to limit the discussion with the initial set in my post above. My experience is that the first item of discussion when other events were planned was location, duration and travel time.

My personal response to your points above:
    • Type of event mix of easy/hard trails, no parking lot stuff
    • As above, my guess is 3 days is right, with option for folks to extend as they wish either side (which tends to happen anyway)
    • As with the type of event, if the organizers offer a mix of trails, we should be able to accommodate any rigs from bone stock to built
    No hijacks here, just collegial input and collaboration. :)

My guess is that we find a set of trails in Southern Utah or Southern Colorado that will put most interested folks within an easy two-day drive. The pin below is St. Georg, Utah as an example - about 23 miles down the road from Torquerville - maybe we can get @woody cranked up on this project!

Please chime in, folks - let's figure it out and make it happen.

upload_2017-6-24_19-52-6.png

beno likes this.
  8. fireball

fireball SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    70s on the Kokopelli?!

Anywhere in the Swell is wonderfully scenic, remote, and the wheeling should be very doable for all the vehicles.

cruiseroutfit, NM Frontier and beno like this.
  9. wardharris

Media:
    Albums:
    Great suggestion, Ben. Spread the word!

10. wardharris

Media:
    Albums:
    My two cents - need the following nearby, in addition to trails, scenery, etc.:
    - Camping
    - Motels
    - Restaurants
    - Good BBQ

SteveJackson likes this.
  11. beno

beno Gihee Arakawa Moderator GOLD Star

Media:
    Albums:
    One issue with the Swell will be it's remoteness.

Most folks in 70's these days want hotel accommodations, breakfast/lunch/dinner provided, etc. IE: infrastructure.

Very few are going to show up without the above requirements within a 2 hr paved road drive or a highway.

Green River works but remote and isolated. Hanksville even more so.

I think Southern Colorado is going to be the best bet since it will have the structural requirements for a trip like this for 95% of the 70 demographics.

SteveJackson and wardharris like this.
  12. wardharris

Media:
    Albums:
    Great input.

13. wardharris

Media:
    Albums:
    Given that some folks don't do MUD and other folks don't do FaceBook, We have established a public FaceBook Group to provide another place to post, share, register, etc. The goal is a non-sales, big tent home for 70 Series enthusiasts with an eye on event planning and participation. Will add the Southeast Registration Portal in the next day or two.

Planning to flesh out the Group ASAP so don't be too hard on your loyal servant / administrator (me, for now). Check it out and join/share/post/etc.

:cheers:

upload_2017-6-24_20-30-8.png

14. jfrench

jfrench

Where: Utah or Colorado (selfish as these are easiest for me)
    When: Doesn't matter to me. With enough lead time any season can be good for me
    How: Stand alone.

I've been around for a bit but am still wet behind the ears and an amateur (at best) wheeler. To address some of the astute observations provided above, I need neither hotel accommodations nor 3 meals provided. Happy and preferable to get remote, sleep on the ground and eat and drink out of a cooler/24v fridge. But I agree, more will show with better infrastructure in place.

Happy to help in any way I can with organizing, etc.

Jason

15. Omoitsurugi

Omoitsurugi

I'd love to join someday once I get mine back to the States. Currently living in Spain where I bought one. However if this becomes an annual thing Wife and i wouldn't mind sleeping in tents, ground and such. We actually were going to join a tour this fall from Land Cruiser Club in Oct but work blocked out my Leave dates :(...

Hopefully in the future!

16. joekatana

joekatana SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Colorado in Summer time, it seems that for the 70 series and the US 70 crowd that would make the most sense. Scenic views , not to hot and pretty central in the country.

Places like Katemcy or Hot Springs are a big no I think. I am dumb enough to take my HZJ73 there but I think most trails there can not be ran scratch free and most 7x owners here are not wheelers.

Joe

LDowney, beno and SteveJackson like this.
  17. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    St George is a great area for an event....Sand Mountain/Sand Hollow State Park has amazing wheeling for buggies down to stockers, plus the campground and reservoir/beaches for families....long trip options to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon , the Arizona Strip or thru the Dixie National Forest...hiking and touristy opportunities at Zion and Bryce....hotel accommodations in Hurricane are expanding constantly (2 new hotels open now, or soon) plus others coming. Lonny Boy's DOES have good BBQ ;)

Summer is out however due to heat....110's already this time of year, we did a 10p buggy run last night and it dropped just below 100 as we hit the trailhead.

The Ouray/Silverton CO area is amazing too, and a better choice for a summer event....and having the FJ Summit in July followed by the 100's in the Hills followed by the 200's in the Hills followed by....and don't forget, NON Toyota events are hosted there too...

@wardharris needs to make a scouting run down....an excuse to inspect the IH8MUD HQ Terrain Tamer inventory ;)

18. fireball

fireball SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Love the southwest Utah option. Easy access into Vegas to fly. It's something a bit unique and different than the current events in Moab and ouray of which there are plenty.

I also have a soft spot in my heart for sand hollow state park - when I bought my 100 in San Diego I flew in and started the drive back east and the first night was spent in the back of the Hindu in the sand at that park! That was in late October the weather was great and the place was very quiet.

beno and SteveJackson like this.
  19. SteveJackson

SteveJackson Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Sounds awesome, I'd love to attend something like this. For me it doesn't matter if it's in the middle of nowhere or at an improved site.

Location and time of year are connected due to weather factors.

St George is awesome! There have been some very successful winter 4x4 events there in the past or early spring / late fall is also very pleasant.

Someone mentioned Green River. We were looking into hosting an event there and it has 2 nice private campgrounds and several hotel options (Super 8 down to some $30/night dives). Also the city was VERY willing to help, provide support and provide a city park for the event. They'd love to have tourist traffic. It's a great jumping off point for interesting day-trips in every direction, it's even close enough to Moab to make a day run down there. The Swell, Goblin Valley, Sego, Thompson Springs, Crystal Geyser, or even a long day trip to 9 mile canyon. Best time would be late spring or early fall for that area.

Southern Colorado would be great. Grand Junction or Delta area? Grand Mesa? Pretty good through the summer?

Flagstaff Arizona is a cool area.

Wyoming? Pinedale or northwest WY?

Death Valley in the winter?

Do something different and go end to end instead of static? Mojave Road? Pony Express through Nevada and/or Utah? This might limit the attendance, but an all-70 series multi-day trip would be rad.

woody, RhinoRig, eman375 and 3 others like this.
  20. wardharris

Media:
    Albums:
    @beno

People are talking, bro.....sayin' nice things......you are missed :)

upload_2017-6-25_10-30-15.png

PNWScooby likes this.

Tags: