Right tool for the job - a discussion of rig design and usage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OK, new question for the thread:

How many of you run dual batteries, why (what is your specific use? House battery, winch, both?), and would you recommend it?

I have an opinion on this but I do not yet have a dual battery system and I would like to hear input from people who do...or don't...and why.

How many of you run dual batteries, why (what is your specific use? House battery, winch, both?), and would you recommend it?

I have an opinion on this but I do not yet have a dual battery system and I would like to hear input from people who do...or don't...and why.
I’ve run a Single 35 series diehard 5 years now. It fried one Warn winch and started my junk countless times. However, in the near future We willl include a second battery mostly for welding capability. We will simply wire two series 24f batts in parallel and live happily ever after.

I’ve run a Single 35 series diehard 5 years now. It fried one Warn winch and started my junk countless times. However, in the near future We willl include a second battery mostly for welding capability. We will simply wire two series 24f batts in parallel and live happily ever after.
I've thought about the welding aspect as well but, admittedly, that's a little out there for my use. I do see dual batteries as fulfilling multiple roles. I want a fridge at some point - so there’s one use. Another is less chance of frying your batteries while winching. And a third, is if you DO kill your starter battery you should be able to manually swap batteries and still get where you need to go. Something a jump box does not provide.

Great discussion on the Auxiliary LRA tank, it is certainly in the nice category instead of necessary. However, it will be the next major mod to my 80 Series after experiencing the benefits in other Cruisers.

The highway portion of my trips are more time sensitive than I wished. Having flexibility on when and where you stop can save a significant amount of time on any trip. Yes, the piece of mind is always helpful, but the ability to control your stops is really the key to me and that is magnified when the entire family travels.

Since we are on suggested reading for this thread maybe we should include
“Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance”?

Fun thread!

Not in either of the 80s, but I've had dual batteries in my K5 for about 20 years. Everything runs off the main - winch, Ham radio, ARB, aux lights (well, except the Puma air compressor, and that's because I couldn't find the room to run wires). Solenoid to switch the aux battery into the circuit; and I keep the aux off for winching (in all this years, I haven't been in a situation where I had to winch without the engine running...). Aux battery is a backup for starting. It has also ended up in another vehicle when its battery died on the trail. When the alternator in the K5 died 25 miles from home, I made it back on both batteries... I've done solo 'wheeling in the K5, hence the dual batteries. That was many years ago, the fleet has grown, my wife likes to drive on the trail, and so nowadays it's always two vehicles. Still, the second battery has come in handy.

I didn't jump into the LRA discussion, but my opinion is that a dual battery system (and fridge) is more useful than an auxillary tank. :)
Flame suit on...

I didn't jump into the LRA discussion, but my opinion is that a dual battery system (and fridge) is more useful than an auxillary tank. :)
Flame suit on...
I don't have either but I would concur. I will probably add the extra battery and fridge before I worry about the LRA tank.

Dual batteries opens up a whole box of things I'll spend money on before I pay to have their wisdom teeth removed! Bring on the guilt and LED camp lites!

I have two batts in the 80, one battery in the 4runner - both do the same things, run the same things, winches, fridges, etc. The 80 has a portable welder in the drawer which I have yet to bust out.

I have two batts in the 80, one battery in the 4runner - both do the same things, run the same things, winches, fridges, etc. The 80 has a portable welder in the drawer which I have yet to bust out.
Is your single battery in the 4runner larger than stock? And how is your dual set up in the 80 connected (one isolated 100% of the time, both used in parallel, etc)?

Is your single battery in the 4runner larger than stock? And how is your dual set up in the 80 connected (one isolated 100% of the time, both used in parallel, etc)?

In the 4runner I don't think it's anything special, maybe group 27F from Costco. 24F is standard but 27F fits in, going off memory here.

The 80 has Wrangler power products dual batt system which is basically a 200 amp solenoid relay and a switch. It's been effective for the last 16 years but I did finally go through a solenoid relay. The system is tapped to the "sense" wire for the alternator (writeup on mud) so when the alternator is spinning, relay is energized and both batts are in parallel. When the alt stops, relay de-energizes and both batt are independent. This follows the KISS rule nicely and no fancy gauges, ECUs and all that. Aux batt is a deep cycle, which technically isn't the best for a winch due to sudden high amp draw but I never did change it.

There is no mod on my truck that is more useful than my LRA 24 aux...love it! And i vote keep the 1fz-fe...it's what makes an 80 an 80!

People about a fat kid - "put 'em on a diet!"
Same people about an 80 - "Let her have as much as she wants!" :rofl:

People about a fat kid - "put 'em on a diet!"
Same people about an 80 - "Let her have as much as she wants!" :rofl:

I have a 15g OEM subtank and that's plenty for my needs. In a group situation, your fuel requirements are set by the guy who has the least carrying capacity so you'll be stopping even if you're not ready to refuel.

I have a 15g OEM subtank and that's plenty for my needs. In a group situation, your fuel requirements are set by the guy who has the least carrying capacity so you'll be stopping even if you're not ready to refuel.
True, but I'm looking at it from a solo perspective. I know, I know, more vehicles is safer but there will be times where I want to go camping or just driving on my own so having the extra capacity is less about the stopping and more about the "oh ****" factor if I'm way out somewhere and end up having to self-recover or something and it eats into my fuel.

I just got back from a quick overnight trip. I discovered that I actually sheared the bolts on my rear shock mount on my last trip and completely obliterated my rear shock. Also, when I went to start it, the starter wouldn't crank over. New battery. I'm going to have to do the starter relay bypass thing I think. AND, the foam on the driver's seat got significantly worse. And I was reminded about the broken exhaust mount. And my new birf's were clicking. And there was a grinding when I shifted into 4Lo and back to High, that's new. And now I need an oil change.

I'm telling you...$1,000 a trip. It's not that things break that much, it's that you don't discover it or realize it until you stress the vehicle.

And. I also need a second battery now. Because this thread and I told my daughter she couldn't turn the key on to charge her phone because I was worried about having enough charge for a weak starting circuit. D@mn you.

After we found the broken shock I said, "We're just going to go looking around. We won't go 4-wheeling." Here's a video of me keeping my promise.

I just got back from a quick overnight trip. I discovered that I actually sheared the bolts on my rear shock mount on my last trip and completely obliterated my rear shock. Also, when I went to start it, the starter wouldn't crank over. New battery. I'm going to have to do the starter relay bypass thing I think. AND, the foam on the driver's seat got significantly worse. And I was reminded about the broken exhaust mount. And my new birf's were clicking. And there was a grinding when I shifted into 4Lo and back to High, that's new. And now I need an oil change.

I'm telling you...$1,000 a trip. It's not that things break that much, it's that you don't discover it or realize it until you stress the vehicle.

And. I also need a second battery now. Because this thread and I told my daughter she couldn't turn the key on to charge her phone because I was worried about having enough charge for a weak starting circuit. D@mn you.

After we found the broken shock I said, "We're just going to go looking around. We won't go 4-wheeling." Here's a video of me keeping my promise.

Sounds to me like you have particularly bad luck. Either that or your truck hates you. :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom