Rhino or Line-X? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've decided after scarring the clear coat repeatably on the lower half of my 80 and a rouge limb that did a little more damage to my rear passenger door, that it's time to give the oem paint a layer of armor from the window's on down. Does anyone have a preference between Rhino and Line-X? I'm familiar with Rhino lining but haven't really seen Line-X up close and personal. I believe Line-X is considerably softer and flexable.

If anyone has pics of their lined lower it'd be great to see them so I can have an idea of what lines to work with. I have a good idea of what to do with the sides and a little reference on rapping around the rear would help.

When I did my truck, I found Line x was much tougher and harder and so that's what I went with. My LC doesn't need it yet.
My local one does some cool stuff.
Photo Gallery

Alright, I'll have to do some calling around but I like what I'm reading about Speedliner so long as the cost isn't over the top. Any thoughts on wrapping the back or photo's of a similar project?

The mechanic I take my rig to used raptor liner on the bottom half of his 60 series. looks great and holds up fine. He found a kit, which includes the spray gun and 2 gallon containers of liner and anything else that might be needed--such as an aerosol can, for $98. Here before long he's offered to help me at no cost to do my rig. I'm going to purchase 2 kits of raptor liner and do my whole rig in black! Hella beats paying for a paint job to cover up all the many scratches just to scratch it up again and again!

my vote = raptor liner

Durabak, roll it on. Easy and looks good. I ordered it with the uv stabilizer. Mine still looks like the day I rolled it on 2 years ago.
IMGP1779.jpg

I've been happy with Herculiner on my front bumper. I'm also interested in Liner Xtreeme LinerXtreeme

I have xtreme liner on my bronco. The black has a kevlar additive that was sprayed under the truck and very heavy in the wheel wells. That stuff is great. I also put a light grey on the interior floor and rear tub, that did not flash off the same way and is no way near as tuff as the black. So, IMHO if you were to go with the product only use the black with the additive.

FWIW, if you're willing to do it yourself there are a lot of options that will hold up decently and are easy to touch up or re-do which will cost you a small percentage of the major name brands.

If you're looking to have it professionally sprayed, I'd go Line-X. I've seen a bunch of Rhino'd pickup trucks around, and I'm not really a fan. It's softer and keeps things from sliding around better, but on the side of a rig that's less of a concern. The Line-X, which we put on a Silverado that is our catering rig, is significantly harder and more durable for impacts and items dragged across it but it really doesn't grip for s***.

If you're going to do the Line-X, then it's worthwhile to get the X-tra which is their UV-stabilized Kevlar-reinforced yada yada... Line-X fades pretty quickly as an epoxy-based coating, but the X-tra prevents that extraordinarily well. Almost 2 years and the bed liner is still glossy black.

Just realize that Line-X is one of the more expensive coatings, and some of the reps are better than others at applying it. Search out the people in your area, and read up on their reviews. We ended up going into CT to have ours done rather than the 3 closer shops based on the customer reviews, and haven't regretted the extra time, distance, and cost up front.

Raptor liner, I think I'm sold on this product after looking into it and I'm seriously thinking about not stopping at the window sills and doing the whole 80 black. I'm not to crazy about the factory green anyways and have always hoped to paint it flat black one day so black raptor with it's gloss finish isn't to far out of my realm of do-ability.

Any suggestions on prepping the surface? I saw this nylon wire cup that looked like it'd do a good job of ruffing up the top coat but I'm not sure if that would be to aggressive. There's zero rust on the body and only a few small dents to work out so it shouldn't be to hard to prep but I don't want to half ass it since prep is the most important part of any paint job.

:eek:
This guy seems to be happy Al's liner.
I like it a lot too.

:eek::clap:

I've changed my mind. This thread more than explains everything I need to know to do the job and I'm sold on the tan Al's Liner. That tan 80 look's absolutely amazing!

I have xtreme liner on my bronco. The black has a kevlar additive that was sprayed under the truck and very heavy in the wheel wells. That stuff is great. I also put a light grey on the interior floor and rear tub, that did not flash off the same way and is no way near as tuff as the black. So, IMHO if you were to go with the product only use the black with the additive.

X2...This stuf is great, easy to keep clean and have seen absolutely no fading or deteriorating over 4 years...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom