Rhino 4x4 Front Bumper (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the kind words! The LX bumper is actually designed for a 16+ LC, and Greg used his fab skills to add some plating, take some bumper away, weld it all together (instead of bolting), and then align it on his own. It definitely looks a little different than how it sits on mine, but especially in person his LX is totally stunning. Considering he didn't own a 200 or even know much about them 6 months ago, it's incredible to see what he's done with that truck. All on his own I might add - no shops touched his truck - it was all him figuring it out and spending some long nights in the garage.
Would be nice to have those skills!! Or have a friend that has them :cool:

Matt, did you go down the far side of Baby Lion's Back? IOW, farthest from the road?

I went up on Wednesday, and the far side was a lake! So I chickened out and turned around. LOL!

Yes we went down the far side and then through the puddle that has built up. We actually took the super steep optional line to the far left, and my bro in law got it on his dashcam. This is the same part I'm actually referring to above with @JohnJB. Something that is interesting to note about the bumper is that I came down that steep line straight on, and as you can see in the video it's about as extreme as you can get in a 200 safely. The back wheels lifted off the ground momentarily, but it was all good with just letting some pressure off the brakes and easing it down. The amazing thing is the front bumper did not touch the ground anywhere! That shows how great the clearance is, and I legitimately think if it was a full bull bar or a bumper that protruded it likely would have pushed me to one side or the other as the back wheels came off the ground. Could have been a bit more dramatic without the Rhino bumper.

Side bar: it was this exact obstacle that made me decide to put a snorkel on my truck. I was in Moab in February during a lot of snow, and when I did the descent on the right, the first thing to make contact with the water was the front clip of the rental Jeep I was driving. It was a sketchy spot because there was really no way to back up/turn around since it was wet and snowy, and if the intake hit the water on the way down it could have been bad fast. The intake on the 200 is in a pretty precarious spot, so I did the snorkel right after.

Yes we went down the far side and then through the puddle that has built up. We actually took the super steep optional line to the far left, and my bro in law got it on his dashcam. This is the same part I'm actually referring to above with @JohnJB. Something that is interesting to note about the bumper is that I came down that steep line straight on, and as you can see in the video it's about as extreme as you can get in a 200 safely. The back wheels lifted off the ground momentarily, but it was all good with just letting some pressure off the brakes and easing it down.

I'm just glad there's no in cab footage since when I felt the back end lift I likely did something along the lines of 😰

Greg did something similar to me on Fins that was down AND off camber, stuck a front tire into a hole on a descent. Brought one of the rear wheels up and as we teetered a couple times he graciously reminded me we were no where near going over... cus he KNOWS what that feels like. Oh ya, such consolation. 😅

Setting aside the hoops/no hoops decision, I have a question for you. And don't take this the wrong way. IIRC in past threads on bumpers, some folks will take issue with the construction, bracing, steel thickness, etc. of bumper A vs. B, etc. Considering that all of the other "serious" bumpers (e.g., ARB, TJM, MetalTech, TrailTailor) are one piece across the front, what are your thoughts about how the Rhino bumper compares? Wouldn't a multi-section, bolted bumper be weaker? (Glad to hear that it isn't noisy/creaking/groaning at the joints).

I'm not Matt nor do I have a Rhino bumper but I've run several "one piece" bumpers and several modular. Again it all comes down to your needs. Is a ARB or TJM going to be stronger than the modular rhino bumper? Sure, especially on an offset hit on one of the wings. But it will still be a heck of a lot stronger than the stock Tupperware. On the trail the wing strength likely doesn't matter because your approach angle is MUCH better than an ARB or TJM and where you might be dragging the ARB over the rocks and banging it around you may never make contact with the wings on the Rhino in years of wheeling. I ran several bumpers on my FJ and my favorite was the All Pro Offroad modular. It was so tucked up and the wings gave some amazing clearance it didn't matter that they were not reinforced structurally beyond what the bends in the metal gave them because they never touched anything other than bushes and trees branches in the 5 years of hard use I gave them. The center of the bumper housed the winch cradle and bolted straight onto the frame. That did make HARD contact with the rock many times but it was as stout as could be and didn't mind one bit.

I actually hit a deer with this bumper as well and sustained no damage beyond a bunch of hide and fur stuck in my fairlead and lightbar. If the deer would have been bigger or my truck a little shorter it would have been a different story but it took ~200lbs of deer at 60MPH without flinching so its not like these types of bumpers are flimsy.

tl;dr I have zero concerns about the strength of this bumper, and it's fully airbag compliant and crash tested.

The question of strength is a good one, and it's one I considered and was concerned about. I've almost always had ARB bull bars in the past with a few exceptions here and there like the aluminium CBI front on my Tacoma. Literally as soon as I saw the Rhino bumper however, I was not concerned any more about strength, mounting, quality, etc.

My family's safety is far more important to me than tire clearance, approach angle, looks, and everything else combined, so for me the first consideration was to buy something that has been crash tested and rated which severely limits the choices in the US. Australia is a great place to look because they have much stricter regulations on what's street legal, and Rhino is fully crash/airbag tested and compliant. We have some great custom options here in the US, but the shops don't have the resources or scale to go through the same level of testing. For me, it made perfect sense to look to Australian options for that reason alone.

Since I was able to install it myself, I got very familiar with the mounting system, thickness of the steel and general design. I am very impressed with how it bolts together, and there are redundancies built in to ensure it holds up. I was a little skeptical of the modular nature, but I prefer now as it allowed me to dial in the perfect amount of spacing between the body and the bumper everywhere. Since it's a full replacement bumper instead of the kind where you have to cut the stock bumper, the ability to align it just right is a huge plus, and you can adjust the left, center and right sections independently. It's more work on the front end without a doubt (pun intended), but 100% worth it.

After driving on the highway at high speeds, "crawling" on Hells Revenge and Poison Spider, wheeling on washboard and rough roads and everything in between, the bumper never moved, flexed, creaked, groaned, or did anything other than stay put. I marked all the mounting bolts with a paint pen, and none of the bolts have moved either which I will periodically recheck.

Like @RyanR stated, one of the biggest benefits of this design is that it simply doesn't hit anything (look at the video in post 82 above to see what I mean). With a huge bull bar up front like the ARB I had on my 14, I was dragging and hitting it quite a bit which I would presume causes fatigue and stress over time that lessens its ability to absorb impacts and might even cause frame damage eventually. We saw that happen already with the VPR bumper on the truck that was shipped to Mauritania, and the frame was cracked shortly thereafter because of a poor mounting solution. I've also seen some other bull bars cause cracking at the frame horns which you can find pretty easily with a google search (Mud results appear there too).

Edit adding pics:

BAA96BA4-4911-4F6C-8F44-5DD93C2FEEC9.jpeg
AA75BCA7-76C8-4D05-9DAE-BE3DB8399B1A.jpeg
C2DE51A7-74E6-4BE6-9E0C-8A490474F1C2.jpeg

Last edited:
I was under the impression that the rhino bumper only fit the later 200's but their website says 2008 and up.

I really like that bumper, and am getting a quote for one.

I was under the impression that the rhino bumper only fit the later 200's but their website says 2008 and up.

I really like that bumper, and am getting a quote for one.

They definitely have them for the earlier 200s that is a slightly different design than the one for the 16+. They have the same bumper for many different trucks as well, and it’s amazing to me how good the same basic design looks on all kinds of vehicles (kinda like ARB).

Trying to find the weight for this bumper, does anyone know?
Thanks

Saw this one and I prefer the one without a lightbar mount much cleaner look. Awesome build guys! Can’t wait to see more photos. Just got my new LC200 today and can’t wait to play with it.

B719D5D6-0DFC-4248-B8C4-2679FA98FBA8.jpeg

Saw this one and I prefer the one without a lightbar mount much cleaner look. Awesome build guys! Can’t wait to see more photos. Just got my new LC200 today and can’t wait to play with it.

View attachment 2060317

I personally like the hoop because without it virtually no one would have any clue it was aftermarket. Good news is the hoop is only held on by 2 bolts and can be removed in minutes, so changing it back and forth is easy.

Painted to match... Man...!...that thing really does look good. Like...factory...but not factory—bc factory is so unnecessarily low. Maybe Toyota should hire Rhino to do their bumpers as they *should* have been. :)

Very nice is an understatement.

Thanks! I have been very pleased with it and think it would be a perfect bumper for a TRD Pro + type of offering especially since it’s airbag compliant and crash tested. Although it is kinda fun to have something unique that no one else has in the US!

@mcgaskins Looks like you are one of the few that will get these awesome looking LC200 bumpers in the US. I bought an LC200 this past Friday, found this post that evening, and placed an order Saturday. I received an email yesterday from Superior Engineering indicating that they will no longer ship internationally. Bummer! This is the best looking bumper for the LC200 out there. Hopefully, things will change on the customs issue, or a distributor will be able to broker their products internationally.
Screenshot 2019-08-21 10.10.55.png

FWIW it took us months to get the bumpers. Many emails, phone calls, waiting, etc. I think we started the process in December and the bumpers got here in March. Then we had to get them bead blasted to get the powder coat off, and then we had to find a good paint shop to spray the bumpers. It was worth it, but it was a lot of work and took a long time. Also since no shops had ever seen these bumpers, the couple I spoke to didn’t really have a strong desire to install them. That was ok because they were not too difficult to install with their modular nature. Of course if we had to do it again the install would take 20% as long as it did the first time around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom