RHD to LHD conversion on 70 Series for Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there,
I have a 1993 RHD HZJ75, one of those Japanese Fire Trucks. 3500 miles, just in perfect condition. My plan was to import it to Costa Rica when I retire to use it on the farm and daily driver, converted into a ute. The bummer is I just found out Costa Rica does not allow RHD vehicles into their country... Don't get me started, I would have had no reason to check if the are allowed... I just can't let go of this truck, because its just perfect. So now my brain is spinning, can I convert this truck to LHD? Who has done it and what kind of a nightmare is it?
Or maybe you have some other great ideas? If someone has a LHD Ute who wants to trade?

Thank you!
Guido

Fuego_Profile.jpg

By the time you do a RHD to LHD conversion, you will just wish you had bought a newer 70 series truck in Costa Rica. Aren't they available there still?
That is what I am wondering, and yes, they are available, but not with 3500 miles and in Like New condition. Also, I have not seen any Dual Cab Utes there at all and that is what I need.

That is what I am wondering, and yes, they are available, but not with 3500 miles and in Like New condition. Also, I have not seen any Dual Cab Utes there at all and that is what I need.

Talk to this guy. @overlanding506 Maybe he can tell you how to import one to Costa Rica. A new one that is.

2022 VDJ76 70th Anniversary Edition - GCC spec - Sandy The Camel - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/2022-vdj76-70th-anniversary-edition-gcc-spec-sandy-the-camel.1301858/

Best way is to buy a junk 70 1990-1998 and then decide on a course of action. If able easiest would be to swap the complete firewall including the upper part that has the wipers and cabin air inlet
Thank you! I'll have to deep dive into your post tonight. Are you happy with what you have done?

Hi there,
I have a 1993 RHD HZJ75, one of those Japanese Fire Trucks. 3500 miles, just in perfect condition. My plan was to import it to Costa Rica when I retire to use it on the farm and daily driver, converted into a ute. The bummer is I just found out Costa Rica does not allow RHD vehicles into their country... Don't get me started, I would have had no reason to check if the are allowed... I just can't let go of this truck, because its just perfect. So now my brain is spinning, can I convert this truck to LHD? Who has done it and what kind of a nightmare is it?
Or maybe you have some other great ideas? If someone has a LHD Ute who wants to trade?

Thank you!
Guido

View attachment 3266412
Howdy! Yup... You won't be able to drive a RHD vehicle in Costa Rica... For what is worth you can, either get 70 series directly from the dealership down here (see attachments) or just import one from UAE like I did 🤷🏻‍♂️ Cheers!

PS. Taxes are borderline armed robbery here (not that we see any benefits on paying them!)

Screenshot_20230307_112115.jpg

Screenshot_20230307_112045.jpg

@joekatana had a few of these LHD conversion kits back in the day. I remember Steve Jackson was selling a LHD conversion kit for awhile in the Facebook group.

LHD Conversion Kit - Facebook

I do know that Steve ran into some legal troubles recently, so I don't know if he is still in business or not.

Also, while I was digging through the old Facebook posts, I saw that TorFab had done a few conversions in the past. Not sure if they still do, but it's worth a call, since you're already up that way.

1678210465516.png

You can buy brand new HZJ79 DC off the Toyota lot in CR. I believe VDJ79’s are available as well but are imported from the Middle East. All the cops in CR use 70-series (76/78/79).

Cheers

I am pretty sure you can still get the firewall from Toyota to do the conversion but that will cost A LOT to ship. Also a lot of work to remove the RHD firewall and fit the LHD one.

What Cold Taco did is probably the easiest way to do it.

Cheers

@joekatana had a few of these LHD conversion kits back in the day. I remember Steve Jackson was selling a LHD conversion kit for awhile in the Facebook group.

LHD Conversion Kit - Facebook

I do know that Steve ran into some legal troubles recently, so I don't know if he is still in business or not.

Also, while I was digging through the old Facebook posts, I saw that TorFab had done a few conversions in the past. Not sure if they still do, but it's worth a call, since you're already up that way.

View attachment 3266495
Sweet! Thank you! I'll get a hols of Torfab, they're my to go to shop anyways. I am sure it's all a pain in the A**, but i'm thinking about it.

Howdy! Yup... You won't be able to drive a RHD vehicle in Costa Rica... For what is worth you can, either get 70 series directly from the dealership down here (see attachments) or just import one from UAE like I did 🤷🏻‍♂️ Cheers!

PS. Taxes are borderline armed robbery here (not that we see any benefits on paying them!)

View attachment 3266491

View attachment 3266492
Of course these new ones are amazing, but out of my price range. And I love the simplicity of the '93. Everything is manual and I like the HZ. I hear that when migrating to Costa Rica, I can bring two vehicles tax free, that's why I want to bring them instead of buying there or buying from the UE and importing it.

I am pretty sure you can still get the firewall from Toyota to do the conversion but that will cost A LOT to ship. Also a lot of work to remove the RHD firewall and fit the LHD one.

What Cold Taco did is probably the easiest way to do it.

Cheers
Thank you, I'll deep dive into Cold Taco's thread tonight, I am VERY curious what all he did!

Of course these new ones are amazing, but out of my price range. And I love the simplicity of the '93. Everything is manual and I like the HZ. I hear that when migrating to Costa Rica, I can bring two vehicles tax free, that's why I want to bring them instead of buying there or buying from the UE and importing it.
Well... Still LHD only...

Your cheapest and best option is to buy a new one from the dealership there when you are ready to move and you might even be tax exempted when moving with certain visa .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom