Reworking Coyote 1973 fj55 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know. 20/20 hindsight is amazing. There's always another old iron somewhere. Oh wait, I have several already!

View attachment 1535845 T

The caliper brackets I have are weld on rather than bolt on. So far everything I have modified is a bolt on, just in case someone someday wants to take it back to stock. Can't imagine why anyone would want to go back to manual steering and drum brakes though. My conundrum is whether to weld the brackets on, or drop more cash for a set of bolt on. I'm leaning to the weld on and someone else can cut them off if desired. Do not forsee selling in next few years, but who knows? Never thought I'd sell my diesel converted Town Wagon, but I did. Here's a picture of it.

Ouch! I bet it hurt to sell that...

It did, but I was having issues with the injection pump. Moving to Missouri at the time, and it was non running for about a year. Weak moment put it CL and it was gone. Got a trail lifted 40 and cash, but really wish I had trailered it here. I'm just happy to have 6 Toyotas to wrench on. My four and my boys two. Great times with them.

I did the same thing with my old 40 and 55. Sold everything in a weak period and then years later got back in. Wish I would of keep the parts stash, though.

Made soe progress today. Started with this.

image.jpeg

Built ths bracket for my power steering gearbox. JMack, Scrapdaddy, Bob M and other great welders, don't look really close. My welds are ugly, but functional. Almost hesitate to post a pic, but here goes.

image.jpeg

Will post a pic of it on the frame later. Lines up to stock position pretty well. Using an fj40 pitman arm and connector because the pitman arm is about an inch further back than stock. Almost ready to have high pressire hoses made.

Here is the bracket mounted on frame. P/S box test fit well. Within about 1/2-3/4" off from stock.Still able to use stock shock mount I think.

image.jpeg

Here's my new drag link, relat rad, and tie rod. All loaded with new tie rod ends. Wasn't planning on getting this far in, but who of us ever do?

image.jpeg

Wasn't planning on getting this far in, but who of us ever do?

Let me guess you read Scrapdaddy’s Slow71 build thread, yea I started off just going to put new wheels and tires on mine until I stumbled on his build thread looking for lug nut sizes.

Now approximately $5000.00 and a few months later I’ve completely restored mine, thanks Scraps…

So we're all putting this process on Scrapdaddy? And since his build was only $5,000, ours is too, right?

Spent some time clocking the rear bracket so I could clear the rear spring when putting caliper bolts in. Still not a fan of welding the bracket on, but I'll get over it. Test fit the rotor, then tried to mount the loaded caliper. Recess in rotor needs to be about 1/2" deeper for loaded caliper to fit. After the second attempt to get this rear converted to discs, I gave up and ordered a direct bolt on kit from JT Outfitters. Hope it all plays together like it's supposed to. My head is sore from beating it against a brick wall while reinventing the wheel!!

image.jpeg

Bracket mounted before removing. Was easier to grind off than expected.

Do you have leafs and coil-overs?

Looks like helper springs on the shocks...old school!

I think these are the original shock/spring set up. Still pretty stiff, but have already purchased new ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom