Reworking Coyote 1973 fj55 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

careful with steering...

Are they stock small pattern arms? I have my old set if you wanna skip that headache.

Are they stock small pattern arms? I have my old set if you wanna skip that headache.

They are 1980 largeer knuckle fj40's . Trying to stay with stock tre , while upgrading to fj60 front discs. I know where to get one from a '79 40, just thought I had bought a good set.

careful with steering...

Exactly why I am opting to source another arm. The one in the top of the picture is fj60 and correct. The bottom one is someone's repair job.

image.jpeg

Turns out both sides have been flipped. High steer set up maybe? I've cut the passenger side and flipped it. Matches the 60 arm now. I have another set coming, but will probably weld these to back to stock. I can use the practise.

Yes. When I started cleaning them up, I noticed 3 welding passes on the top on both. Made me suspicious, then measured against stock 55 and 60. Stock turns down a little. These both are pointing up. This was delibertly done. Seller response was no refunds, just sell them. He either knew they were altered, or doesn' know his parts very well. Was hard to tell in 1 photo on CL. On me for not asking for closeups.

Got a set of '79 fj40 steering knuckle arms, large bolt pattern. Getting them cleaned up, I decided to use them as a template for repairing the altered set I got. Finally got the birfield separated on driver side. I've read on several mud posts about the need to grind the axle housing a little in order to use the fj60 birfs. Decided to mark where I needed to grind. Took the 60 birfield to mark with, and it slipped right in! Not complaining, but curious. I have wheels that work with discs, now birfields that drop right in. Wondering if some previos owner started a conversion then bailed, or what? Might actually be on the road sooner than I thought.

image.jpeg
Sure wish I could get some history on this pig. Looks like lots of love went in to it at some point. Anybody recognize this decal in both rear door windows. Think it was a northern CO rig for awhile.

Got my new to me birfields cleaned up and packed with new grease. One thread I read said to use a bread tie to hold the new inner clip in place while reassembly happened. Couldn't get that to work, but tried a zip tie and it worked great. Going back together pretty well, thanks to all the advise on mud. Great reasource! Finding a lot more rust than anticipated. At what point do you call it quits and start selling parts?

Since the rust repair is more extensive than I originally expected, I am thinking of a new direction. I took a 1972 fj40 trail rig in partial trade for my old Dodge Town Wagon Power Wagon. It has a SOA done by PO. Proffits did the front axle, so I know it's correct. I haven't been able to sell it for abot 3 years now. Thinking of taking the 40 back to spring under axle. This would allow me to do an SOA on Coyote with the hard work already done. I have an OM 617 Mercedes diesel with under 100k on it, an adapter from 4x4 labs to mate a Toyota 5 speed to, and a Toyota 5 speed from a 1993. Also have a Dana 60 with disc brake conversion I could narrow to have a rear centered axle. All of this would add to completion time, but I'm already down the rabbit hole aways anyway. Any thoughts?

Still undecided about Mercedes swap right now. Figured I would keep going forward until it becomes more clear. Crawled underneath to mount an electric fuel pump back near tank. A lot of rust on tank, so I pulled the drain plug to see what came out. Gas was extremely clean with no debris. Was reminded of Greatful Dead lyrics. " Brown eyed women and red grenadine, the bottle was dusty, but the liquor was clean" It looks like someone had been working on it recently. Hoses were all new, and crossmember holding tank in looked like a fairly new paint job. Ordered a set of stock tie rod ends from Cool Cruisers. Still disassemblying steering system to do the mini truck power steering. Making progress even though slow.

I have the same brass fittings and screens as you do.:) Saw their last concert in St Loius in 1995.

Last edited:
We recently sold the 2002 Dodge 2500. Used it for the move to Missouri from Colorado. Haven't driven it more than 5,000 miles in last 2 years. New owner happy to have it, as I am to have it gone. Wife wants a 100 series as a replacement. Not opposed to that, but want to focus on Coyote getting back on road, She offered a challenge this evening, "get Coyote on road by end of September, and we can table idea on a 100 for awhile". The 55 can do almost everything I need , but not a lot of creature comforts. I have a set of BMW heated seats that can be installed, plus add on A/C. I'm accepting her challenge, either way it's a win.

Received my tie rods today from Cool Cruisers. Bought a new drag link of ePay that arrived today as well. Problem is it is a relay rod. Working with seller to get correct one. Managed to get the manuel steering box out. One of the oil filter lines was leaking when I got it. PO just kept topping oil off as he only drove it 300 miles in 3 years. Made quite a mess on steering box, frame and firewall Time to clean it up. It did help with breaking 44 year old bolts.:) Got a pretty good idea of what I need to fab for the PS box to line up.
Also discovered the '99 S-10 hydroboost unit I'm using is same metric brake line fittings. This ought to help keep it simple. Nice weather and tunes make for a great garage day.

S10 PS pump? Pics please!

My 55 is a supposed to be a wheeling replacement for my 99 ram 2500 - which is lucky to get through more than 2 tanks of fuel a year, they sure don't like sitting....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom