Restore FJ40 Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

Ok I am ready to start digging in on my FJ40 and spend some money to get it looking good and being a usable machine instead of the paperweight it was used for the last 2 years by the previous owner....

Here is some pictures: (excuse its condition, this is how I got it)
039.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg
01969/003.jpg[/IMG]
003.jpg

035.jpg

022.jpg

017.jpg

020.jpg

1. I wanted to know what color you guys think this is???? I think paint and bodywork is important, How do I found out oem color? I thought it was white, but some say it maybe that light tan color. Looks white to me?

2. The bumpers, frame etc. need paint should it just be painted Semi gloss black?

3. Also I noticed a light grey color used on the back seats, does anyone have something that is close to OEM in that color?

4. The hardtop on mine appeared to have insulation glued to it on the inside and most of it is removed. Did it come with insulation? I was thinking of just stripping it and painting it the same color as the outside.

5. Any other suggestions on getting this thing back to decent shape?

Thanks guys!! Also wanted to share my FJ40 since I am new to here.

Floyd in AZ

Love that key

I think it looks good. Missing some pieces here and there, non stock carb - I'd buy a stock looking one from Trollhead so you can use the OEM air cleaner. I think your paint is the same as mine (I may be wrong) but it should be Olympus White (T1453-2), note the top is Shell Ivory but you have to use a Dupont LS22 or so as its no longer available. Also, the inside of the top does come with a headliner, sold everywhere from SOR.com to coolcruisers.net etc.

My recomendation, and it may not be the opinion of others, is that other than installing disc brakes, keep it stock. I have some bits and pieces (used and new) that I'll be selling when I finish my restore, I notice you'll probably need the upper dash pad and a new cover - I have that for sale.

Welcome!

1. I wanted to know what color you guys think this is???? I think paint and bodywork is important, How do I found out oem color? I thought it was white, but some say it maybe that light tan color. Looks white to me?

Check the color codes

2. The bumpers, frame etc. need paint should it just be painted Semi gloss black?

Yes, dont bother with blasting and/or powdercoating if you are going to drive it as nature intended, will only get chipped.

3. Also I noticed a light grey color used on the back seats, does anyone have something that is close to OEM in that color?

Check out cruisercorps.com

4. The hardtop on mine appeared to have insulation glued to it on the inside and most of it is removed. Did it come with insulation? I was thinking of just stripping it and painting it the same color as the outside.

I believe OEM was just padded liner, about a quarter of an inch

5. Any other suggestions on getting this thing back to decent shape?

Hit the lottery...... . .

Thanks guys!! Also wanted to share my FJ40 since I am new to here.

Floyd in AZ

Good luck and keep us posted with pictures!

Nice solid truck to start with! I would wash the FOR SALE crap off the windshield, change all the fluids, adjust the drums and drive it around for a while. Nice to get a clear idea about the machine before tearing it all down. Once you start pulling things off it's hard to stop and then it's three years before you're driving it. Have fun

Yeah no key, a letter opener worked well. The last owner used white marking tape and in the AZ sun it is sort of stuck on there to the point Im going to have to razor it off the front window.....

What do you guys think would be a good amount to pay for paint and bodywork? I was thinking of stripping the interior and then sending it to a local shop to get it done so it is ready to go sooner than later. :steer:

I am hoping to post some pictures with it in daily drivable condition with a few months.

amount of money to pay for body work and paint???? $100-10,000 all depends on what you want it to end up like.

that looks like a cool truck! good luck

I think it looks good. Missing some pieces here and there, non stock carb - I'd buy a stock looking one from Trollhead so you can use the OEM air cleaner. I think your paint is the same as mine (I may be wrong) but it should be Olympus White (T1453-2), note the top is Shell Ivory but you have to use a Dupont LS22 or so as its no longer available. Also, the inside of the top does come with a headliner, sold everywhere from SOR.com to coolcruisers.net etc.

My recomendation, and it may not be the opinion of others, is that other than installing disc brakes, keep it stock. I have some bits and pieces (used and new) that I'll be selling when I finish my restore, I notice you'll probably need the upper dash pad and a new cover - I have that for sale.

Welcome!

One other thing I'd recommend is a dual circuit master cylinder... And replacing brake lines. I'd make it safe and driveable before worrying about body work and such.
:cheers:

Nice Rig

One other thing I'd recommend is a dual circuit master cylinder... And replacing brake lines. I'd make it safe and driveable before worrying about body work and such.

x2 on making it safe first, then I'd focus on making it reliable for daily driving. Enjoy it for a while before your tear it apart.

Congrats on the score! Looks like a great rig. I agree - do the mechanicals first and keep it on the road. That way you can enjoy driving it while you come up with a good plan that meets your budget. :beer:

I am doing just that on my '70, it did have a dual circuit MC, but I bought a new one, just have to figure out then ends of the tubing.

Finally an update

Ok had Mark from Marks' Offroad at the house today....

Got it running no problem! Got a different dizzy, the pointless system, new plugs, cap, rotor, and plugs. Was smoking a bit after messing with it, but took Marks advice and ran it. Drove it to the gas station and filled it with new gas. I most likely has some bad gas in there.

Been starting up no problem! Love this thing. Runs like a champ right now. I will keep running it to get the bugs worked out.

Any suggestions on oil weight? I got 5w-40 full syn mobile one in it right now, but plan on doing another change since it was sitting so long.

Gotta work on an exhaust leak at the header/ first clamp which Mark advised me how to fix for now. Which I will do next week.

Love this FJ! now that it is running right with Marks help. No more smoke, I did leave some black residue on the garage floor from running it for 10 minutes at idle on its own....Wife didn't like that too much;) Other than that I am happy my F motor is still usable and I can actually drive it to a gas station!

Fun times ahead.....By the way Mark it idles fine now without me touching the gas, maybe I don't need to adjust anything?? I will keep driving it to make sure.

Thanks Mark! If i ever need anything for my FJ40 and hopefully future trucks I am calling you and getting the parts from you. Love the FJ45 by the way...even my wife liked it. Shes the one that wanted the FJ40 in the first place. She thinks FJs are "cute":)

I've always run Castrol 20/50 in mine. I'm in central Cal. so we have pretty mild weather. Never had an issue due to lubrication.:cheers:

Guess its a 1968 not a 69

Thanks to Mark having a look at my FJ40 I learned its a 68 titled as a 69 which was common? Anyways good info, still glad I had Mark over at my house! It was great to see someone with so much knowledge work on my FJ.

Also love that it starts right up now!

Love that key

my thought exactly :hillbilly:

post up on the Copper State Cruisers Forum if you want more local insight (and parts and contacts and trails . . . :D)

you also need to hear the famous speech by the guru on motor oil :hillbilly: :doh:

The paint on your FJ is white, I know what "Tan" people are referring to and that's not it...

The light grey on the rear seats is more than likely OEM... Google CCOT (Cool Cruisers of Texas) and look at their OEM replacement seat skins. That will tell you for sure.

Some headliners will have insulation. I would just clean up the top and install a new one.. There around $90

I would spray the bumpers with a gloss or semi gloss single stage acrylic enamel. If you want to clean up the frame and diff. covers, you could brush on some "Por15",,,works great and costs around $40 a quart. If ou don't want to spend that much rustoleum makes a similar cheaper product..... Hope this helps... I am currently restoring my 74 and is in similar shape...

Mark AZ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom