Restoration Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gauge cluster looks great!
It will look great to actually have all my gages working! Like the tact (important with a diesel) instead playing it by ear. A fuel gage instead of going "Well it's been 350 miles since I got fuel, should probably fill up" lol

So here is the update. I have officially went sound deadening crazy. Tonight I double padded the inside firewall, driver's/front passenger's floor, and transmission tunnel. Zac keeps encouraging this behavior. Told me the more I put down, the better the carpet job will turn out. Who am I
I to argue with the guy who works at the top upholstery shop in Colorado Springs? I did order 2 gallons of Lizard Skin sound deading spray to do the engine side of the firewall/engine bay, undercarriage, and rear wheel wells. A few people talked to me about it so I figured why not try it. Can't hurt right? So hopefully I will be spraying that this weekend. Still waiting for more sound pads to come in for the for the roof.
Where is most of the noise coming into the cabin from? The forward engine firewall areas? Floor over transmision/drivetrain? Wheel wells? Side doors, and rear cargo panels (road/outside noise?)?. I've read that you don't need to put sound deadener everywhere, to save cost and weight. Just tap and position pads as you go? It looks like you're covering everywhere (at least once). Thanks. Looks nice.

Where is most of the noise coming into the cabin from? The forward engine firewall areas? Floor over transmision/drivetrain? Wheel wells? Side doors, and rear cargo panels (road/outside noise?)?. I've read that you don't need to put sound deadener everywhere, to save cost and weight. Just tap and position pads as you go? It looks like you're covering everywhere (at least once). Thanks. Looks nice.
On this project most of the noise is coming from the 4bt. But usually with a stock vehicle, if you cover the floor and doors in sound deadening material it will make a huge difference.

Well the deadline won't be met. I don't know why we even set one for ourselves other than just a personal goal, or just to have an answer to give people who frequent the shop. But setbacks happen people. Microwaves get blown up. People get arrested. My 2 jobs not letting me enjoy my free time turning wrenches on this. Things are still getting done though. It is finally starting to look like a 60 again. Got the fenders and wheel wells hung last night. For some odd reason the fender and wheel well I ordered from SOR where a pain in the dick.... oh yeah because the wheel well arrived bent to s***. I put them together when I first got hoping it ease into it's new mate come this time, nope. The top fender line between wiper arm housing is off on the new fender. The left side is all used parts from our 60 parts donors. They all went together flawlessly and the seams are beautiful. New parts are not so great. I hate body work for the record. That's why when I had a choice between learning body work or learning diesel at college, I went with diesel. So other than that the battery trays I put together were a little tight on the wheel wells. Just had to shave a piece off of them. They are nice and tight now. Rest ever so snugly on top of the wheel to give her just that little extra support she desires. Not bad for an eyeballing it. But enough talk. Time to give you what you really want.... pictures.
20210302_214553.jpg

20210302_214709.jpg
20210302_214650.jpg

Last edited:
It looks great! I feel the deadline s***. I'm trying to get running for Cruise Moab. I'm stressin.

Thanks DJ. I am not going to be able to work on it this weekend, be in BV. My friend is flying in from Ohio this Friday for weekend of hot springs and massages. But I haven't had a day off in a while so I need this. But I am going to work on the 60 tonight and Thursday. Hoping to get it to the point where Zac can start his magic on the carpet and headliner. So hopefully next weekend we will be fine combing it. When it gets done, Zac and I will head over to your shop. You can check out his work on mine and another 60 with a chevy V8 swap he did the interior in. See if you like it and still want him to do you and your Dad's 40s. Plus I really want to see your 40 crawler project.

Thanks DJ. I am not going to be able to work on it this a weekend in BV. My friend is flying in from Ohio this Friday for weekend of hot springs and massages. But I haven't had a day off in a while so I need this. But I am going to work on the 60 tonight and Thursday. Hoping to get it to the point where Zac can start his magic on the carpet and headliner. So hopefully next weekend we will be fine combing it. When it gets done Zac and I will head over to yours shop. You can check out his work on mine and another 60 with a chevy V8 swap he did the interior in. See if you like it and still want him to you and your Dad's 40s. Plus I really want to see your 40 crawler project.

That will be nice to have a day off. I definitely want to end up having Zac do my headliner and eventually my jump seats. I just dont have the time to spare yet, but eventually. Drop by some time!

So finally gave the 8k diesel heater a home. Since I suffer as the same as other 60 series owners.... my center console is in less than par in condition. The plastic pocket where the 2 holding screws go are broken. I decided I can make it a shallow pocket since the lid still works great. Cut out the area where the heater will sit inside the center consol. Screw the new plastic bottom into the heater housing and cut a hole in the back of the console to less the hot air flow out into the cab. I can extend the exhaust of the heater along the bottom of the tub towards the engine to help keep the engine bay a little warm on those cold winter camping nights.
20210304_190628.jpg

Also got the dual oil filter housing mounted so I can finish up making the wiring on that side look good and purdy.
20210304_190643.jpg

You guys have so much space in those 60s. looking good! When do you think it will be driving by?

You guys have so much space in those 60s. looking good! When do you think it will be driving by?
It's that wagon life man. You chose the 40 life lol. Hopefully next weekend it will be getting tested on the road. I already hinted to my boss that I will probably be sick next Friday.

Zac was basically waiting for me to commit to a spot for the heater to do the carpet. He has to cut holes in it for the heater. Picked up the windows yesterday from the tint shop. They came out really nice and come with a lifetime transferable warranty.

Looking good. What color are you thinking about?
Thank you. Almost 6 months of work so far. That is the color. Monstaliner DOA. I am going to let my buddy paint the Tony Ivan stripes on the hood and on the rear. The custom headliner Zac is doing will have the stripes and seat covers.

Last edited:
So I am absolutely horrible at updates. It is close though. I leave Sunday for Wisconsin till Friday. So I got a few things to button up for Zac. He thinks he will have the headliner and windows in by the time I get back...... 😆

So had to end up taking apart the front end again. Radiator support brackets were too bent to reuse. I had it all together and the front right fender had about a 2" gap on the bottom so I couldn't mount the bottom panel that runs under the grill.
20210411_180351.jpg

Took it all apart and grabbed one off another 60. Painted the new one. Had to use a 3" drill bit so the intercooler plumping could go through it. Trimmed up the top of the support so the intercooler would mount back in the radiator support.
20210415_203525.jpg

When I was taking the old radiator support bracket off, I noticed the radiator was leaking. You can also see how bad the support was bent.
20210414_201502.jpg

No that's not a dick drawings. Just happened to come out that way.

Last edited:
So other things that I have been working on. Got a 3000 watt inverter for under the driver's seat. Got it so I can keep electric power tools charged up in case they are ever needed. I let my friends install it. They are both electrical engineers. That was fun to watch. So much debating went into it. I laughed my ass off at them when they were testing it to see if it worked and they had the pos and neg wires switched around. Kept blowing sparks in their faces. Engineers are entertaining like that.
20210415_203802.jpg

But it is in. I am using the power that feeds that to also power the diesel heater and USB outlet I installed in the center console. Painted it to match the truck. Put in a switch to turn the power on and off to the heater and outlet. Had to cut out the pocket by an inch so the heater could fit inside the console housing.
20210415_203818.jpg

Also made all new panels for the doors and cargo area. Put a USB/C-port outlet on one side and a cigarette outlet/USB outlets on the other. These will run the fridge that is going to be installed and just for charging devices while camping. Got a fuse block wired to protect those those and also the led light strips.
20210415_203906.jpg
20210415_203930.jpg

Last edited:
Aaaahhhhh s***, my bad. So I know many of my SAS family follows this. I have been terrible at updating. I KNOW THIS, because a lot of them pointed this out when I saw them. Well after I completed 80% of the project, my shake down runs involved going to Ouray, CO for the SAS event. Well... problems came up, as they should with shake down runs. Things unforseen become the obvious. Tis life. Clutch lines broke, power steering lines gave out, rear axle flange studs broke, intercooler rubbers giving way to a teenage pregnancy and main
power starter studs decided to become 2020 unattached. That's the purpose of shake downs though. So fast forward the boring life of mine, we get to today. Fixed the rear axle deciding to separate itself from the rest of the import beans to rocks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom