replacing rear ac lines- 100 series suggestions and observations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know this is an older post but my 02 has the rear leak and I want to cap it. Can anyone post pics or describe where to do this so I don’t screw it up? I ordered 3/4” and 5/16” from what I read in another post...hope that is correct.

Also..I see a few other Chicagoland people here...if someone knows of a reliable mom and pop shop in the NW burbs to charge the system id appreciate it.

Just replaced my High Pressure line that is the aft section of the line you just replaced. I also live in Chicagoland so all the salt they dump on the road is going to increase the maintenance required. I had to drop the muffler to get my line off and it was a heck of a job getting that rear section of the high pressure line out from underneath the truck. The bolt that attaches the lines to the rear evaporate just sheared off as soon as I turned it. I have a write up on my experience if you ever need to replace this piece. I've got Vac pump and the tools need to charge the system so if you have problems in the future PM me and I'd be happy to help.
How did you separate the line from the lower evap connection? i've had the same issue.

Great write ups! I’m about to take AC line replacement on, will post my details if it can help anyone.

Please do. I had to get the middle line replaced in the past. Now mine are leaking at where they go into the rear AC unit.

I had my front / rear AC split and capped yesterday. There were multiple lines that need to be replaced due to pin holes (the common issue around brackets). To have the system diagnosed, front line capped, and system recharged and checked, the shop charged $270. The rate was fair and the shop was honest about the amount of work needed.

The kids are still small enough that the second row is where they sit and the air from the front is plenty to keep them cool since we live in the Chicago area. Over the next couple of years, I will probably accumulate the parts to replace the rear sections. Thanks to everyone for keeping this conversation going with part numbers and DIY options.

I couldn't get clearance to use that as the hole was on a curve. I got the kit with the hose and two connectors. Cut the line and installed the new hose and connectors and air has been working great with no leaks.

I couldn't get clearance to use that as the hole was on a curve. I got the kit with the hose and two connectors. Cut the line and installed the new hose and connectors and air has been working great with no leaks.
DanInDenver, I know this thread has been stagnant for a bit, but curious which kit it was with the hose and two connectors you used? Still working for you? I need to identify my leak, seems to be near the rear unit and trying to decide what needs to be replaced/capped as well.

I replaced the entire rear line with hoses. It's working great for now (about a week, so nothing long term yet). I had a huge split in the rear end of the low pressure (big diameter) pipe.
The OEM pipes have a few 90 degree bends which you do not have to follow 100% percent, but still have to be able to flex the hoses a bit, so make sure you are not getting something super stiff. I had mine made from two parts each to make any potential replacements easier. I used almost all except one original brackets to hold the hoses.
Removing the lines and putting the hoses will be a huge pain with the body on the frame.

IMG_7129.jpeg

IMG_8810.jpeg

I replaced the entire rear line with hoses. It's working great for now (about a week, so nothing long term yet). I had a huge split in the rear end of the low pressure (big diameter) pipe.
The OEM pipes have a few 90 degree bends which you do not have to follow 100% percent, but still have to be able to flex the hoses a bit, so make sure you are not getting something super stiff. I had mine made from two parts each to make any potential replacements easier. I used almost all except one original brackets to hold the hoses.
Removing the lines and putting the hoses will be a huge pain with the body on the frame.
Wow! That undercarriage is clean. Did you source your hoses locally?

Last edited:
I continue to struggle with a small leak...whats involved with uncovering the line from behind the front passenger wheel to the back where the rear lines run.

I assume the following:

Remove passenger front wheel well cover
Remove passenger side running board
Remove passenger side rear wheel well cover

Is there anything else I am missing?

Thanks.
I live in uk and I’ve just replace mine with flexible pipes with no joints except each end , it’s so good to have cold air round whole vehicle. One point is flexible pipes do allow gas to migrate through them , all be it very small so gas may need to be topped up every 2-3 years but on the positive side they are highly unlikely to be damaged from road debris

It took me far longer to find someone to make the lines and it did to change them out. I searched for a few weeks because no one where I'm from would work with Toyota lines they all said they are an uncommon size. So, I had mine made by a guy in Arizona, shipped him about 18in off both ends of my OEM hard lines and he sent me back soft lines with my OEM ends for $120. Really good guys they said for 6ft of line it would be $120 plus $5 for each added foot. AZ Auto Air in Tempe, AZ (480) 464-1100

The whole process to replace took about 9 million hours because here in the great white north of the US with salt on the roads everything corrodes. Had to remove the rear AC unit just to get the line set off. Once it was off though cleaned everything up put it back together with the new lines works great. The dealer wanted me to just cut them and seal it off which I would have done but my wife thinks our dogs need AC because they get too hot. I disagree!

It took me far longer to find someone to make the lines and it did to change them out. I searched for a few weeks because no one where I'm from would work with Toyota lines they all said they are an uncommon size. So, I had mine made by a guy in Arizona, shipped him about 18in off both ends of my OEM hard lines and he sent me back soft lines with my OEM ends for $120. Really good guys they said for 6ft of line it would be $120 plus $5 for each added foot. AZ Auto Air in Tempe, AZ (480) 464-1100

The whole process to replace took about 9 million hours because here in the great white north of the US with salt on the roads everything corrodes. Had to remove the rear AC unit just to get the line set off. Once it was off though cleaned everything up put it back together with the new lines works great. The dealer wanted me to just cut them and seal it off which I would have done but my wife thinks our dogs need AC because they get too hot. I disagree!
They do usually blank off which means front blasts cold all the time just to keep rear cold

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom