Replacing my throttle cable... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have determined that my tranny downshifting problems are due to a sticky/corroded/binding throttle cable.

Thanks C-dan!!!!!! You were right... :cheers:

Got under the hood and checked it out today. Looks like several places along it's length, the outer protective plastic casing has dry-cracked away and exposed the metal wrapping underneath. I would assume water and such has gotten in there now and corroded the cable and such since the metal wrapping is rusted some.

So, I'm ordering a new throttle cable tomorrow that I will install myself. :eek:

Are there any pitfalls that may present themselves when I do this??? I guess I'm really only worrying about the adjustment once installed. I saw where the cable is adjusted and it looks pretty straight-forward. About a :banana: job I reckon.

My perception of adjustment is that I just take up most of the slack like you would with any throttle cable. Right? Any advice and/or previous experience will be heeded. Thanks in advance....

Jody.

Jody,

You have pretty much got it covered. As far as adjusting goes, you want to adjust the cable so that the throttle plate is fully open when the pedal is mashed to the floor. Have an assistant mash the go pedal while you make sure that the throttle plate is fully open. You want full open just as the pedal reaches full travel. The most difficult part of the job is standing on yer head under the dash to bolt the base in.
If you have dificulty in sourcing a cable, I have them in stock and can ship at will.

:cheers: D-

Thanks for the advice Dan. That's what I needed to know.

We have a stealership here that is "broken-in" and knows what I'm talking about when I need something regarding my 'Cruisers. We also get a 25% off Toyota list, TLCA discount. That cable is pricey even with the discount!! :eek: Thanks for the offer though. Ordered it today, It will be here tomorrow.

Anyhow... Kudos to the ih8mud forum once again!! And mostly to C-Dan :cheers:

Jody.

FYI the throttle cable on my '93 looks terrible, but functions fine. I hope it solves your problem.

Great... :doh: That's NOT what I needed to hear.

I do feel some grating and stiffness in the cable travel though. It's not consistent really. Eah, I'm the kind of guy that just replaces it if it's suspect. Yeah, it has cost me dearly in the past too... :whoops:

Anywho... We'll see how it goes.

Jody.

I assume replacing it fixed the problem? What did the pedal feel like when moving through it's travel? Did it kinda "grate" or stick slightly?

Jody.

The only thing is that when I'd let off the pedal and slow down or stop the rpm would hang instead of dropping to 650rpm. It happened once real bad and I was able to pop the hood and check things out. The throttle cable was binding and not allowing the engine to idle down. Replaced it and the delay in the tranny to down shift into 1st as when cornering slow in a driveway or such was gone also.

Lubed my cable, and the cruise cable and the tranny cable. Still have a bit of grabbiness. I'm thinking it's on the accelerator pedal pivot itself, but it's so minor now I haven't even bothered to lean in there with a spot o' lube. Mention this because the throttle cable is only one of three that all move when you press that gas pedal...

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom