Replacing audio system for 2001+ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lumbee1

Native American
Threads
So hear me out guys before you skewer me for not searching.

I'm looking for a 100/LX. I've been on the forums forever in the 80 series section. I've done dual battery, custom drawers, several suspension system setups, DIY roof rack, and a metric ton of maintenance. Currently the 80 is down. I pulled the engine for a rebuild (not blown) and the block and head are at the machine shop. I miss my 80 :(

In 2017 we took a road trip to Grand Canyon in the 80 all the way from Raleigh NC and LOVED it. However the 80 is not the best touring vehicle and while we have other road trips planned for the 80, I've been contemplating growing my Toyota family.

Here is the information and have so far and my question:
- I don't need lockers (98, 99)
- I need 4 pinion diff (2000+)
- I want aftermarket double DIN radio (98 - 00)
It appears that the 2000 100 series/LX470 is the ONLY Land Cruiser that fits my requirements. After installing a Pioneer double DIN in the 80 and my Tundra, I will have a hard time adjusting to no bluetooth phone, no backup camera, no android auto, and no streaming audio. BTW, the 4700 mile road trip to Grand Canyon was made awesome by the help of audio books via bluetooth.

Finally, is it really this bad that only one model year of the 100/LX will fit my needs? Is there any way to replace the 2001+ radio/NAV/HVAC with something more modern. Crutchfield says no and the searching I have done says yes but only if you want to spend a month rewiring the dash.

Please help and tell me there's a solution.

Big plans for this vehicle: mild lift, 285's, monotone color scheme, and super clean. I don't care about paint color since I will black out or paint any chrome.

1627272009674.png

I too, just picked up a 2000 LX. I am very curious the best way to upgrade the audio system. havent decided if I should ditch everything or just replace the head unit and upgrade the door speakers…

If you got the non-nav you should just get something with carplay (pioneer avic) and then upgrade door speakers to some pioneer 3way or some equivalent.

For the sub, replace the oem one with an 8” sub (anything is better than oem) and run a nice amp to maximize the potential

Good luck! It’s a good platform with room to grow :)

Nav delete?

Not exactly what you asked for, but a Grom VLine can add many of the features that you’re looking for, to some (maybe all) of the factory nav systems:

Luckily I got the 2002 non-nav model and just replaced the cassette radio with a DAB model.
That was before Android radios existed.

Summary:
00 is still double DIN with 4 pinion.
01+ non-Nav can be converted easily
01+ Nav can be converted with lots of parts and rewiring.

Summary:
00 is still double DIN with 4 pinion.
01+ non-Nav can be converted easily
01+ Nav can be converted with lots of parts and rewiring.

I've got an '01 that came with nav and I went through the conversion process. The only tricky part was sourcing a bezel from a non-nav cruiser. I had to call a couple junkyards to find one that also could come with the wiring harness. I did the actual work in an afternoon while my one-year-old took a nap. All the info you could need is in this thread: Pre-03 Nav delete how-to

It's easier with a non-nav truck, for sure, but if you find something that checks every box except has navigation, I wouldn't let that deter you.

Thanks so much for all the responses!

Plenty of room under passenger seat after i removed factory amp, ran new connections down through center console, reused factory speakers/wires and some others that were already down there. Removed the passenger seat during the process, (be careful not to nick up interior door surfaces when doing so!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom