Replacement source, main fuse box lid Seal. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ever 100 series I've looked at needs a main fuse box lid Seal. With some of the issue we've seen with these fuse boxes, I'd like to keep internals clean & dry as possible. The seal is our only defense to this end that I'm aware of.

I've never pulled the fuse box, so I have no idea if any other area needs addressing?

I see Dealer has the lid for ~$35, which I assume has the Seal included. I don't see the Seal sold separately, am I wrong?

Anyone come up with a replacement source for the Seal or good work around to MacGyver it?

You could make one with FPIG, lay a bead in where the gasket lives, letting it dry before applying the lid back to the box. Apply thin film of silicone grease into the seal cavity first to make it easy to remove the FPIG later. Also I think adding set of latches would secure the lid closed tightly so that no moisture or dirt would get in.

I do like the FIPG idea as I'll have some leftover soon, may even have some very old lying around the garage. But I'm not great lying in a symmetrical bead, they tend to be lumpy.

If I could find some sort of a rubber (or something) rope to just press in, that would be sweet. Can't say that I've seen anything like that around. Any ideas along those lines?

Try starting here with some silicone cord- determine what diameter you need 1mm-2mm etc. SILICONE 1MM CORD

Not sure how big the lid is but I've seen o-rings up to 5-6" in diameter at Ace Hardware.

Try starting here with some silicone cord- determine what diameter you need 1mm-2mm etc. SILICONE 1MM CORD
That's what I'm taking about.

It's to cold around here to play in the garage, so I'll not have that measurements today.

Not sure how big the lid is but I've seen o-rings up to 5-6" in diameter at Ace Hardware.
Good thinking. We could cut two or three O-rings if needed, so as not to stretch thin losing it's cushioning/sealing ability.

Good ideas guy's, keep them coming.

Toyota does really have good seals & FIPG, but this lid seal must be the worst in the whole rig.

I was just looking at different material available shown at Product Search. Reading about difference Nitrile vs Viton at Nitrile vs Viton® - What is the Difference? I though of one more real good reason we need this seal in good condition. Battery acid fumes or at least with stock or typical battery with caps as opposed to sealed some have sprung for.

I like the idea of just have a roll of cord in my shop. Fuse box replacement is costly, and something I think will see more and more of as time passes. I'm going to defiantly add this to my PM schedule to inspect every two years.

Just needs one of the engineers on mud to give us the best material suggestion:idea:

Either would work fine for that lid application. Nitrile -Vs vitton would make only make a difference in applications where hydraulic fluids, brake fluids are used.

I found a local seal supplier and pick this up .103in. EPR cord:
Fues box lid, .103in EPR cord  (2).JPG

Used on the 07 fuse box lid, it was sung but could be a little tighter. The 01 lid was not very snug. Both about as sung as with old old seal. I either need to find a way to get fuse boxes fasten to tighten up (pull lid down on box), or need thicker cord. If I go with thicker cord it would need to be spongier to fit easily into groove. I could have gone with thicker cord supplier had on hand, but it's tight fit would have put a lot of pressure to side of groove seal fits into.

Cost less than $2.00 a lid.
Fues box lid 01LC, .103in EPR cord  (1).JPG

Nitrile could make for a good sealing material in this circumstance, however, I'd make sure that you are aware of the pro's and con's first. That way, you can make an informed decision. Hope this helps!

Based on info from your link, there dont seem to be any disavantages that apply to this application so what were you getting at?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom