replace timing chain sprockets? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, sorry if this has been covered. I searched and didn't find any info on this. I'm rebuilding an engine at 230,xxx for somebody and they have opted for a new timing chain (this thread is not to discuss weather or not this is necessary, they want a new chain among many other things that are still probably ok).
It would seem to me that a new chain should be done in conjunction with new sprockets, however, I don't see much evidence online to support this. Can anybody shed some light?
Thanks,
Drew

My sprocket had a tooth chipped off, necessitated a replacement, and that was at 110,000 miles.

dang, I've never seen or heard of that. Do you have any idea how that happened or the kind of life the engine had lived during those 110,000 miles?

I have seen it multiple times here on mud. I think it is from the chain slap related to the chain tensioner not being tight on start up.

dang, I've never seen or heard of that. Do you have any idea how that happened or the kind of life the engine had lived during those 110,000 miles?

My crank sprocket lost several teeth and my chain snapped. That's what drove me to a head rebuild and head gasket replacement. The sprocket had less than half of its teeth. I dont know if it was a result of the chain breaking or the cause of it. I suspect the latter.

Seems that the chain and sprockets should wear I together. An older chain can stretch and would seemingly accelerate wear on the sprockets.

Yeah that's kinda my thinking as well, I'll do that. I know that as the chain on a bike stretches it can "stretch" the sprocket as well. Thanks gents

The general rule of thumb is to replace sprockets and chains as a set. Sprockets will “take a set” to a chain, and will continue to as the chain stretches and wears over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom