Replace that PCV valve (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Maybe a dumb question, but what is wrong with just cleaning out the valve, rather than replacing it?

Simple part, doesn’t seem anything should wear out.

Maybe a dumb question, but what is wrong with just cleaning out the valve, rather than replacing it?

You could probably wash out and re-use your oil filters too.

Never mind - mine seemed to pretty much just rip in half at the slightest pressure. Y'all think it's ok just to jam back in there, or should I try and get an intact piece?

If mice aren’t a concern you can just leave it out. If you want to replace it properly it is pretty easy to remove the intake manifold to get full access. Took me about an hour. Just make sure to blast as much dirt out from around it as possible.

Have you seen one up close? It would be pretty tough to get full access, and we don’t know whether the valve seats and such inside are ok after cleaning.

And it’s $8 for a genuine Toyota part.

If mice aren’t a concern you can just leave it out. If you want to replace it properly it is pretty easy to remove the intake manifold to get full access. Took me about an hour. Just make sure to blast as much dirt out from around it as possible.

Have you seen one up close? It would be pretty tough to get full access, and we don’t know whether the valve seats and such inside are ok after cleaning.

And it’s $8 for a genuine Toyota part.
Thankfully no real problem with mice around here

Thankfully no real problem with mice around here
Nice. I do stress over them when I go to the mountains but at home I'm fortunate like you.

I did leave out the primary reason I believe they put it there is for noise control. It does also serve to prevent some dirt and other junk ending up under the manifold, but in reality I don't think it's super important.

With it out of the way it's much easier to monitor for valley plate coolant leaks too.

Yes, it is a simple part and cleaning them worked on the old vertical gravity ck ball type. Not with this type and the angle it is mounted. I cut my old one open to figure out why it was stuck open even after I had cleaned it. The spring loaded valve rides and rattles on the same place (because gravity pulls the valve to one side) when the engine is running and creates a divot. That divot finally gets deep enough to jam the valve against the side wall and not allow the valve to close. I don't think this PCV valve would have this short life it were mounted vertical or metal on metal.

Quick search didn't return any results for me, so has anyone been able to find replacement foam piece that covers the PCV? If so, p/n?

Changed mine today at 60k 5.5 years old out of curiosity and because so cheap. Could hardly tell the difference between the old and new when I took it out. It Looked brand new. Oh well. Here's to hoping the torn off foam piece doesn't vibrate its way out over the next 5 years before I look at it again...

Just picked up a 2 hundy last week w 170k on the clock. Running through some PM and tackled replacing the PCV. Super simple install, though I admit, I used the green one. Parts guy said there was a production change in 09, (mine is an 09) and the latter used the green. Right or not, they only had the green in stock and anything is better than what it had. BUT, wanted to provide the below suggestion for those who replace these.

After removing the PCV, take a good look down into where it threads and make sure that area is clear. Mine was completely clogged, packed with charcoal gunk. I took a skinny screwdriver and rag and cleaned it out really well. After that discovery, I also checked and cleared white plastic tube on the intake manifold. That wasn't quite as bad, but it was really restricted. The rubber hose needed cleared out as well. I used some carb cleaner and a zip tie to clean out the hose. Without clearing those out, not sure the new PCV would have made much of a difference.

Just picked up a 2 hundy last week w 170k on the clock. Running through some PM and tackled replacing the PCV. Super simple install, though I admit, I used the green one. Parts guy said there was a production change in 09, (mine is an 09) and the latter used the green. Right or not, they only had the green in stock and anything is better than what it had. BUT, wanted to provide the below suggestion for those who replace these.

After removing the PCV, take a good look down into where it threads and make sure that area is clear. Mine was completely clogged, packed with charcoal gunk. I took a skinny screwdriver and rag and cleaned it out really well. After that discovery, I also checked and cleared white plastic tube on the intake manifold. That wasn't quite as bad, but it was really restricted. The rubber hose needed cleared out as well. I used some carb cleaner and a zip tie to clean out the hose. Without clearing those out, not sure the new PCV would have made much of a difference.
Nice work getting it all cleaned up and refreshed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom