Replace steering rack bushings question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi..I want to replace the steering rack bushings with Super Pro poly ones. Can anyone tell me approximately what I should expect to pay in labor charges, and or number of hours a shop should charge to do it?

Thanks

Few things...how many miles on the rack? Do you wheel it, or street only? It's about an 8-9 hour job (per my dealership)to pull the rack, you could probably replace the passenger side bushings, as for the mounting bushings on the driverside, I don't think it's possible. I would wait until a steering rack replacement is due, and them go Super Pro bushings on all the sway bars, links, and steering rack. That is my opinion, I have heard they make a slight improvement, that to me is not worth $800 in labor to find out how much "slight" actually is.

Labor will vary. It ran $300 for me.

I can't tell what year you have (I'm on my phone). But, depending on your year, the older years 98, 99, 00, etc. You have to pull the entire rack. Newer models can be changed with out pulling the entire rack. As mentioned above, the ps is an easy DIY and the combination of that and the rear control arm bushings can often create the most play.

If you have one of the early years, it is money well spent to replace the entire rack with New OEM (not a Reman) at the same time as the bushings.

Just to add to this, I was informed today that my steering rack bushings are shot. I believe the rack itself is Ok. Mine is a 2003 with 99k miles. The mechanic (this guy hooks me up) said he couldn't find the replacement of the bushings in "the book", but if I chose to replace the whole rack the labor would only be $250. But, he suggested I try to source the rack elsewhere cause he would have to go through Mr. T for $950! So, what do you guys think, pony up the 1200 for the whole new rack or can I just replace the bushings on a 2003?

I am not positive if 03 or after was the year the rack changed. Some one else will need to confirm. If you decide to just go new OEM rack, order it through cdan or Lowe here on mud and save a few hundred. FWIW, MSRP for a new rack is around $750 if i remember correctly. One of the two vendors I mentioned above should be roughly $550??? I could pull a receipt, but it is in the ball park.

If it turns out your rack bushings can be changed without pulling the whole thing, I would try that first. There is a thread here some place where some one with the newer style rack describes how they changed the bushings with out pulling the rack. I believe it was in the poly bushing thread.

Ok, thank you. I'm looking... Been reading for hours now... There also seems to be some confusing info as to which super pro part numbers are the right ones...

?

From what I remember, the numbers were clear on the super pro website. Pm the distributor. He is on here.

I think the website was "ABT USA"

I've got a set of super pro rack bushings I ordered direct from Aust, part #SPF2987K labeled to fit "LandCruiser 100 series 9/02 on" (Aust domestic market), they fit my 11/02 build "03 LX (US market), just haven't installed them yet. I went straight to the vendor's home site to make sure I was ordering the correct ones.

These are the bushings that I received under part # SPF2987K from my Australian source.
SPF2987K.jpg

For those that have owned these Poly Ureth bushings, how have they held up? I've noticed that after 2 years or so, these disintegrate and ovalize (I used Energy Suspension). Couple of other guys locally also had theirs fall apart after a couple of seasons. This is why I would only use rubber bushing parts, but not sure if they're available for the 100.

Thanks Paddo. I think that's what was discovered on the other forum as well. If so, the obt usa sight is in fact wrong. Again, it lists the SPF2470K for all of 1998-2002.

I'm also interested in how these hold up. Not that there is really a choice to get rubber....

Ok, thanks guys. Another question- is it fairly normal for the boots around the inner tie rods to be "moist"? Mine PS fluid has not gone down, and there's no dripping, but I'm wondering if a little is normal or if it's a sign I should replace the whole rack...?

Hoser- do you know if the internal gaskets you mentioned are replaceable without removing the rack? Seems like I'm looking at an "on the truck" rebuild... Maybe easier just to swap it!

The FSM explains how to rebuild the rack off the vehicle. That's all I know.

Those boots are likely full of fluid....mine were when the rack started leaking....there should be no "moistness" there.....

SPF2470K - For LC100 IFS LHS & RHS, fits vehicles up to 08/2002
SPF2987K - For LC100 IFS only suited to vehicles manufactured after 9/2002.

Your website has some conflicting data that you may want to address. It shows the SPF2470K as compatible with up to the 2004 model (which is identical with the 2005 model), so I ordered those. Directly under that it shows "Only fits vehicles up to 08/2002" The description on the page shows "SPF2470K - Steering Rack & Pinion Mount Bushing. Kit Contents: 5 Bushings,2 Inner Tubes. Toyota Land Cruiser 100 Series IFS 6/1998-2006 LHS & RHS, and Lexus LX470 5/1998-2004 Only fits vehicles up to 08/2002. Professional Installation Required."

It looks like I bought the wrong ones.

Edit: OK OBT doesn't have them in stock, Does anyone have a set of SPF2987K that they can sell? I wouldn't be in a hurry for this but my truck is up on the rack at Safari-Ltd right now.

Last edited:
Hello, all, just joined the site! I have a 2000 Cruiser, and need to replace rack bushings. Can't find any videos/writeups/etc on DIY this, and from looking underneath, doesn't look easy. Any opinions/experiences doing this on same or similar? The 4WD may be the 'extra' factor that makes DIY too tough. Shop wants $800 to do it...

Thanks!

Jim

My shop charged me 2 hours of labor...highly recommended mod on a high mileage cruiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom