Removing the intake manifold FJ62 for desmog (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am removing the intake manifold for my desmog. It just seemed impossible with the manifold in place. Any tricks? The only thing I am sweating a little is how to stop fuel trickle from the cold start injector. Anyone else removed this from their truck? There is a whole pile of things to remove. Speaking of piles...there is a pile of parts getting removed for the de-smog. I have not even completed the project and there is already so much more room with the egr removed and the air pump removed. Wow! You can actually get to the alternator now!

I did mine without removing the Intake, seems like you'll be doing a ton more work unnecessarily.
:beer: ✌️.

Since the 3FE intake manifold comes apart in 2 sections, its super easy to just unbolt the top section to get at all the fuel and air injector parts! :) Just make sure to have a new middle intake gasket for when you bolt it all back together. I have had to do this job twice (had to replace a freshly swapped injector).Not a TON of parts to remove honestly, looks worse than it is.

Since the 3FE intake manifold comes apart in 2 sections, its super easy to just unbolt the top section to get at all the fuel and air injector parts! :) Just make sure to have a new middle intake gasket for when you bolt it all back together. I have had to do this job twice (had to replace a freshly swapped injector).Not a TON of parts to remove honestly, looks worse than it is.
With throttle body gaskets getting harder to come by, it helps when you can just remove the whole thing while keeping the TB attached to it also.

Yeah, I am almost there. I should be able to remove it completely after work this evening. I think all that is holding it on are what looks like 2 small coolant lines coming from the thermostat housing and of course the cold start injector. I bought some rubber plugs to cap that fuel line too so that should be no big deal. Looking forward to having that thing cleaned up.

Okay, now that the manifold is off...slight tedious pain, but very doable in the driveway which is where I did it.
Is the fat round air tube connecting the air injectors all that gets removed? I thought I would be able to do away with all those tiny little metal lines that make a spider web mess in the engine compartment. I am going to have to spend a good deal of time cleaning too. Might be a good time to change that fuel dampner as now it is accessible. And @Spook50 you da man! Printed your guide and had it with me. Made me feel like I had a buddy there to tell me what to do. I made a giant f'in mess anyway but it was nice to have you there in writing. Tomorrow I will take the throttle body off of the intake and clean them both and take off whatever else I can off of the intake.

Okay, now that the manifold is off...slight tedious pain, but very doable in the driveway which is where I did it.
Is the fat round air tube connecting the air injectors all that gets removed? I thought I would be able to do away with all those tiny little metal lines that make a spider web mess in the engine compartment. I am going to have to spend a good deal of time cleaning too. Might be a good time to change that fuel dampner as now it is accessible. And @Spook50 you da man! Printed your guide and had it with me. Made me feel like I had a buddy there to tell me what to do. I made a giant f'in mess anyway but it was nice to have you there in writing. Tomorrow I will take the throttle body off of the intake and clean them both and take off whatever else I can off of the intake.
I eliminated all that crap and made new vacuum hard lines with only what I needed, I used 3/16 and 1/4 NICOPP brake line.

IMG_20210127_152938.jpg

I eliminated all that crap and made new vacuum hard lines with only what I needed, I used 3/16 and 1/4 NICOPP brake line.

View attachment 2684619
Hey that's a great idea! I'll have to do that myself. Looks far cleaner than the now mostly unused OEM hard line. How did you secure the brackets? Brazing?

Desmog complete and driving. Question for those in the know. Will the idle eventually come down? Currently at 1000 to 1100 rpms. Does drive better as in more pep. And, wow you can see the alternator now!
It should after a short while. If it stays high, you can disconnect the ISC and then dial in the idle with the "golden screw", then reconnect the ISC and see how it does. Be sure to do it while warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom