Rehabbing a 100 series, opinions wanted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 100 series I will be bringing back to life and I am hoping to get opinions from the experts here. I have been working on motors and vehicles for 30 years and started rehabbing/rebuilding cars and trucks over the last few. The sale then funds the next project. The big questions are more around what people would expect to pay for these and opinions on leaving thre engine and trans as is vs rebuilding, vs a fully remanufactured engine with a warranty.

Typically I look to create a customized daily driver. The donor truck is a 2000 Toyota, 280k miles and runs fine, interior is 4/10, exterior is 4/10. For the 100 I originally planned:
  • Replace all joints, rod ends, and bushings (I always do this)
  • Touch everything I can inside of the budget, goal being a like new car
  • Body work and repaint OE Green Mica color (or a flat version of the same)
  • New leather, carpet, headliner, and some interior panels
  • Rebuild motor and trans
This leaves a great truck that will have a mild lift and tires to be used as a daily driver.

Buuuuuuuuuuuut I know this is a Land Cruiser and I think it deserves better. I have been thinking:
  • Same as above with:
  • Remanufactured and balanced motor with warranty
  • Rebuilt trans with warranty
  • Profoam suspension
  • TBD Wheels and Tires
  • Bluetti power system for heater, fridge, and AC/DC power options
  • Drawer and bed system
  • Bumpers and a winch
  • Roof rack, spare rack, other accessories
Any reason why the above couldn't get $80k? Historically I see sales around $65K without touching the motor...which is the big question. I like to put out vehicles that I am confident in and are reliable for years. Of course the risk being the sale cannot cover the build...lol.

Don't touch the motor or trans internals. You'll devalue it significantly, IMO. I'd buy a 400k never-touched 2UZ motor over a 200k freshly rebuilt (at typical rebuild standards) any day. The 2UZ is not something to be pre-emptively rebuilt. They last 400k+ regularly and unless you're having a high-end race shop do the work, the rebuild is almost invariably going to be a lower quality than the 23 year old Toyota-built motor as it stands.

Trans rebuild seems like another off thing, IMO. I don't think any buyer is going to pay extra. They're going to think, "Why did the trans on a Cruiser need a rebuild? Must have been abused..." This isn't a Chevy or Ford, lol. The Land Cruiser drivetrain is as good as it gets for longevity. Anytime the engine or trans have been rebuilt it looks suspicious and you've lost the greatest asset - that OEM Japan-built drivetrain.

Where are $65k 2000 LC sales? I think it's more like $20-40k. The $60k+ sales I've seen were all low mile original vehicles. I'd love to see some higher dollar examples, post em up! :)

I know a guy with a line on the best drawer/bed setup on the market around... ;)

Welcome!

Be careful with your choices for suspension components. Your entire build will be judged based on a couple of circus tent marketed products or rebuilds

Also, be prepared to replace every bushing, ball joint, and tie rod end at 280k to get everything back to good condition.

1687629156900.png

Thank you and you are confirming my suspicions as well. Sounds like insanely clean and mild decisions is going to be the way to go.

Any suggestions for a 2-4” lift?

If this is just a flipper for you, why spend money you'd probably never recover? Fix it mechanically (source parts from online retailers for significant savings), put a roof top tent on it and sell it to the next overlanding bro!

Pre-2003 LCs are not the most desirable and almost never fetch big dollars. Certainly not worth repainting or any of the other major mechanical jobs on it. Find good quality seat covers to freshen up the interior and buff and polish the exterior to make it presentable.

Thank you guys for the opinions. I always fall in love with a LC every time I work on it.

I’m excited for the build. My daughter has been pushing me to track it on YouTube…talk about feeling old.

$30Kish in this market with that mileage and assuming a good (not concourse)) quality paint job in the original color. Flat version would look cool if you intend to keep it but it will really reduce the market for the truck. I don't think any 100 series with that mileage (even with a new engine) brings $80K in this market. Just my $0.02.

There was a restored 99 LX with around 240k in my area. Last I saw it listed for 18,000 and didn’t sell. YMMV hugely based on location. Lifted steel bumpers, frame cleaned and protected, new wheels, rubber, etc.
Original LCs with low mileage bring the big money, 03+ is nice. 06-07 is the money.

I wouldn’t buy a refirb 2UZ. I would buy a 400k 2UZ that has good records.

I also stayed away from aftermarket suspensions, honestly I think lots are overrated compared to stock. These trucks are very capable as they sit.

Like others pointed out @ 280k and 20+ years, rubber is going to be dead. LCA, Uppers, bushings, hoses, seals.

No way never would I be interested in the upgrades/repairs (that mostly are not necessary) nor would I be interested in the sales price near what you think it would be worth after said repairs and rejuvenation nonsense.

I’d buy a very nice low mileage rust free mild built unit for 30k, save the rest of the money and doing something enjoyable with my time like go use the vehicle.

Thank you guys for the opinions. I always fall in love with a LC every time I work on it.

I’m excited for the build. My daughter has been pushing me to track it on YouTube…talk about feeling old.
If you've got the time, YouTube-ing a detailed restoration is a fantastic idea. You'll have to be unusually interesting to make any money on it, but if you can make it a positive father/daughter thing that's better than $$ any day.

Side note, I lived in 85383 6-8 years ago. We were right on the edge of that nature preserve up there. Good scenery, but we had Bark Scorpions *everywhere*. That was less fun.

if you can make it a positive father/daughter thing that's better than $$ any day.
I can confirm that of my 3 “builds” a father/son build is much more rewarding than any of my personal builds…

I paid 15k for an 06 with 206k. If someone would have redone CVs and bearings, steering bushings, control arm bushings, ball joints, rear controller arm bushings, diff bushings, steering rack bushings, sway bar bushings, all vacuum hoses, heater T, injector gaskets, manifold gasket, valve cover gasket, plugs, coils, fuel filter, replace all fluids, and not have washed it, I’d pay $25,000.

Ruggedrudgate you are saying exactly what I suspected. I can absolutely appreciate the audience here...diehard fans for sure. But I am not looking for someone who inexplicably wants a car untouched...a vehicle that performs better and last longer is worth more money in my opinion and experience, and this is where I am looking.

New car prices have moved so high that reinvesting in an older vehicle makes a ton of sense. I could get you a lifted jeep, new parts, drives well (for a jeep), rebuilt motor and trans with a new interior for under $25k...or you could buy a new 2wd base for $50K+...doesn't make sense to me.

No way never would I be interested in the upgrades/repairs (that mostly are not necessary) nor would I be interested in the sales price near what you think it would be worth after said repairs and rejuvenation nonsense.
Thats an interesting perspective. suspension changes, sure...but that is minimal.

Do you really consider balljoints, tie rods, CV's, control arm bushings, timing belt service, etc. to all be "rejuvination nonsense"? Toyota suggests these should be replaced looooooong before 290k miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom