Rehabbing a 100 series, opinions wanted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thats an interesting perspective. suspension changes, sure...but that is minimal.

Do you really consider balljoints, tie rods, CV's, control arm bushings, timing belt service, etc. to all be "rejuvination nonsense"? Toyota suggests these should be replaced looooooong before 290k miles.
Well first of all you left alot out, listed below, of what you proposed doing to rejuvenate the truck as well as what you think it deserves because its a LC. All of which requiring the strong asking price you proposed. And the all is to which I was responding, not just the few things you just mentioned. And if the items you mentioned do not need to be replaced, then I say it is nonsense, as well, to replace them. Things do wear out and there are a few items that should be replaced before they actually break due to damage that can occur elsewhere. If they are not worn out, the large majority of parts do not need replacing regardless of Toyota's suggestions, as seen in my many miles of experience. I may be wrong but I highly doubt Takeo Kondo at Toyota suggests rebuilding a 4.7 V8 that "runs fine".

In your situation where you just want to replace things because you "always do this" but not really needed, it will create an immediate expensive LC for a difficult exit strategy for a much smaller group of buyers. Creating the exact risk you mentioned.

That is my longer version of my original response to your orignial post question.

• Touch everything I can inside of the budget, goal being a like new car
  • Body work and repaint OE Green Mica color (or a flat version of the same)
  • New leather, carpet, headliner, and some interior panels
  • Rebuild motor and trans
This leaves a great truck that will have a mild lift and tires to be used as a daily driver.

Buuuuuuuuuuuut I know this is a Land Cruiser and I think it deserves better. I have been thinking:
  • Same as above with:
  • Remanufactured and balanced motor with warranty
  • Rebuilt trans with warranty
  • Profoam suspension
  • TBD Wheels and Tires
  • Bluetti power system for heater, fridge, and AC/DC power options
  • Drawer and bed system
  • Bumpers and a winch
  • Roof rack, spare rack, other accessories

I have a 100 series I will be bringing back to life and I am hoping to get opinions from the experts here. I have been working on motors and vehicles for 30 years and started rehabbing/rebuilding cars and trucks over the last few. The sale then funds the next project. The big questions are more around what people would expect to pay for these and opinions on leaving thre engine and trans as is vs rebuilding, vs a fully remanufactured engine with a warranty.

Typically I look to create a customized daily driver. The donor truck is a 2000 Toyota, 280k miles and runs fine, interior is 4/10, exterior is 4/10. For the 100 I originally planned:
  • Replace all joints, rod ends, and bushings (I always do this)
  • Touch everything I can inside of the budget, goal being a like new car
  • Body work and repaint OE Green Mica color (or a flat version of the same)
  • New leather, carpet, headliner, and some interior panels
  • Rebuild motor and trans
This leaves a great truck that will have a mild lift and tires to be used as a daily driver.

Buuuuuuuuuuuut I know this is a Land Cruiser and I think it deserves better. I have been thinking:
  • Same as above with:
  • Remanufactured and balanced motor with warranty
  • Rebuilt trans with warranty
  • Profoam suspension
  • TBD Wheels and Tires
  • Bluetti power system for heater, fridge, and AC/DC power options
  • Drawer and bed system
  • Bumpers and a winch
  • Roof rack, spare rack, other accessories
Any reason why the above couldn't get $80k? Historically I see sales around $65K without touching the motor...which is the big question. I like to put out vehicles that I am confident in and are reliable for years. Of course the risk being the sale cannot cover the build...lol.

And people keep asking. I use classic.com to get a general idea on pricing. It is usually close.

The 30k mile, $65k, 2007 TLC BaT/C&B auction is an outlier.

In my opinion, it’s unlikely that you can “unwind” 250k miles from your 2000 TLC, and turn it into a “barn find”.

I bought a cheap 3rd 100 series, as a spare vehicle, just before the pandemic. I’ve put enough time/money into fixing it up, and mildly modifying to my taste, that at market value I’d probably lose money.

If the average market price does hit $65k-80k, as much as I like these vehicles, mine are probably going up for sale 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom