Redneck Enginuitive Belly Pan finished!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CreeperSleeper

Cascade Cruisers
SILVER Star
Threads
THESE ARE NOW SOLD THROUGH TRAIL TAILOR! YOU CAN FIND THEM HERE: Creeper Skidplate 80 Series - https://trail-tailor.com/store/p102/80_Series_Creeper_Skidplate.html

As most of you guys know, I’m kinda hard on my FZJ… The last time that I had it up I managed to loose my t/c skid plate along with bending up my rear driveshaft. By “loose” I mean I looked under the truck to inspect the driveshaft and it was missing. No idea where or when it came off, but it was there when I was airing down at the beginning of the day. Needless to say, something needed to be done before I went wheeling again!

My original plan was to buy an IPOR skid plate… Until I found out it would be $410 shipped to me (!!!). I honestly think it is worth it, but if you don’t have the money… You know what I mean. I looked at the one Slee has (I didn’t see the full belly one on his website, nor could I find a price.) and wasn’t really thrilled. It was just like the one that I lost! MAF has one that looks just like IPORs (to the point where they may be buying them from IPOR and selling them), but I have given MAF two chances with ordering stuff from them and both times were an epic pain in the butt. No thanks.

I pondered this for a couple months. Then it hit me… Nothing on the market is exactly what I want. I like the clearance and protection of IPOR, but I don’t like the trans mount bolts hanging down. (I will destroy those!) And everything else that I have seen has even more drawbacks. So I enlisted my dad to help me build one… We ended up building three!

We ended up using my 80 and the factory cross member as jigs and used the thickest metal we could justify. Well, you have listened to me long enough! On to the pics!

Main cross member box tube:
IMG00055.jpg

Slowly gathering parts to tack together:
P8260001.jpg

My dad getting the holes punched for the hardware and the drain plugs:
IMG00054.jpg

Mocking up the pieces under my 80 (Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic…)
IMG00057.jpg

The T/C skid before the bracing was tacked on:
P8260002.jpg

The Trans skid after the bracing was tacked on:
P8260003.jpg

Pulling it out from under the 80 to finish weld:
IMG00059.jpg

All welded up and ready for paint!
P8260004.jpg

P8260006.jpg

The top side painted:
IMG00067.jpg

How she looks on the truck:
P8270007.jpg

P8270008.jpg

So the first one is on my truck and I’m so happy with the way it turned out. I ended up with roughly the same amount of clearance I had with the original T/C skid on there. (We left enough room so the skids could deflect and not hit the T/C or the trans pan, but tucked it up as tight as we could.) The second one is welded up and is going on Jerry’s (RedSoxCruiser) rig. The third one will be used to make a jig for duplication and then sold. I’m more than pleased with the Redneck Enginuitive Belly Pan! :hillbilly:

Last edited:
And...where is the "redneck" part of this?

You said that you made three: Are you going to market these?

And...where is the "redneck" part of this?

You said that you made three: Are you going to market these?

I don't know if I'm going to market them, but I will still build them for people who are interested...

As for the redneck part, this whole thing was built without any fancy tools or CAD or engineering specs... Just what few tools my dad and I have collected and the knowledge of how to break things. Heck, the angle on the T/C skid was bent by using a modified log splitter!

Ya, WTF? maybe there's moonshine in that
milk jug next to the fridge...

Your skid plate/cross member is art as far as I am concerned.

How much for one of these?

:clap: NICE JOB! That looks great. Now go break it ;)

:clap: NICE JOB! That looks great. Now go break it ;)

Yeah, you really need to test this thing out (although I would buy it myself as it is without testing - looks tough enough).

If it wasn't for the fact I really want to learn how to weld better you'd have a PM for purchase :D

PS Dig the red.... but you missed a few spots ;)

if you were to dog-ear the corners, just flipping the edge up a little bit, it would make them less likely to get hung up on branches/rocks.

pretty small benefit and would entail a bit of work if you don't have a break.

good looking work.

I originally wanted to do that, but you are right. Without a break or a torch, that was going to be a pain. Instead I made the bend in the center more sharp to point the end up. I will have to test it, but I really don't think there is going to be a problem with stuff getting wedged in there.

nice job man.

if you want to dog ear your corners without a break do what I do. cut a line 1/2 way through the steel where you want the bend, bend, then weld the cut. its totally redneck but works when youre messing w 1/4" plate lol.

D

Pretty sophisticated red neck! Nice work:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom