Builds Red Dragon - HJ61 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Excellent Kurt, so great to see you giving the Red Dragon some love, it's a beauty.

Need to get in touch soon about some rear springs for my 60 to fix the lean. Stay healthy. ;)

Added the lights. Bumper and sliders are now ready to get powder coated.

View attachment 2284828

View attachment 2284829

I've been cleaning up the chassis and axles in prep for the suspension install. I'm constantly surprised just how clean this Cruiser is. I used a little bit of pen lube on one side of the front suspension... it came apart so easy I skipped lube on the other 3 corners and it just zipped apart :cool:

View attachment 2284833

The rear end is ready to hang springs, shocks and the swaybar. I hope to tackle that tomorrow.

View attachment 2284830
Off topic question,how do you like that creeper?

Off topic question,how do you like that creeper?

I don't hate it. We burn through them at the shop, cant say I've found one that lasts more than a year before casters are full junk.

I'll be dropping the sliders and rear bumper bits at the powder coater on Monday. With those finalized I've been focusing on cleaning up the frame and axles in prep for the suspension. The rear is now complete sans shocks. I'm going to apply some 3M undercoating to the wheel wells before before tires go on. The front frame is cleanup up and painted, I'm going to get the front suspension started tomorrow.

Front is torn down, painted and ready for reassembly. I'll do some undercoating in the wheel wells before I put tires on. I've got a set of skirts coming from @TRAIL TAILOR. Should be nice and fresh. I'll snag a knuckle kit and a tie rod end kit at work tomorrow and get started on reassembly.

20200503_173559.jpg

Hours of scrubbing and scraping to get these parts clean enough to go in the parts washer :D

20200506_234451.jpg

One step closer to dropping off the bumper and sliders at powder coating. Tonight I knocked out the license plate frame. With a 33-34" tire the factory plate location would be nearly completely obstructed, no good. I looked hard building a lot disconnectable mount for the spare tire carrier which would affix to the carriers wheel studs and come off when you need the spare. Ultimately I bailed on this as I often have a Trasharoo, Maxtrax or Brai Grill on the tire. So that left the back of the Jerry can holder. I feel bad covering up the @TRAIL TAILOR logo but I'll some stickers to make up for it Jason.

View attachment 2273278

I wanted to run an early 40 license plate lamp, I just dig them. I modified a non US Hilux plate frame with the light. It will overlap the plate by 3/4" but I test fit the Utah plates and it doesnt impact any visibility of numbers.

View attachment 2273279

View attachment 2273280

Finished the night with some quick laps :D

View attachment 2273281
[/
Hours of scrubbing and scraping to get these parts clean enough to go in the parts washer :D

View attachment 2298244

Get it son! Let’s get to the adventure photos already! Glad to see the Red Dragon getting some love.

Get it son! Let’s get to the adventure photos already! Glad to see the Red Dragon getting some love.

Coming soon!

Tires arrived to XO HQ in Montana. I need to get them to SLC :D

77721.jpeg

I have been out rallying the 40 as of late, did this last week :D

20200502_164027.jpg

10 huh............ that's a lot of spares for that little diesel to haul around... HA

j/k

J

It's that powerful :D

The other set goes on Clay's 62. We are doing a 6x's trip on Montana this summer.

Knuckle overhaul and suspension complete with the exception of shocks. I sprung and grabbed some of our brand new OE calipers, as well as Toyota brake lines and hardware and Japanese brake hoses and some new AISIN red hubs :cool: Thank you Cruiser Outfitters for letting me go on a shopping spree. ;)

20200514_193217.jpg

20200521_205312.jpg

20200521_230522.jpg

Bumper parts and sliders back from powder too. I'll get the carriers assembled and the bumper mounted. I plan to clean up and paint the frame around the sliders before I mount them.

20200514_232243.jpg

I'm adding some 3M undercoating to the wheel wells before I install the new Trail Tailor fender skirts and the OME shocks.

20200521_225755.jpg

20200521_225216.jpg

Jamming on the post powder rear bumper assembly in between some trail time with the Mrs this weekend.

20200523_152656.jpg

20200523_154818.jpg

20200523_201023.jpg

Any plans for an exhaust? That stock pipe does the 12H-T no justice. I did straight pipe on mine and love it.. really wish i had done it sooner.

Pretty jealous of your build.. keep it up!!

Any plans for an exhaust? That stock pipe does the 12H-T no justice. I did straight pipe on mine and love it.. really wish i had done it sooner.

Pretty jealous of your build.. keep it up!!

Definitely planning larger exhaust with some more flow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom