Builds Red Dragon - HJ61 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
cruiseroutfitters.com
I need another project like a hole in the head, or at least that is what the Mrs is always telling me. In fact if I bring home another project I might end up with a hole in the head. :D

red_dragon.JPG

Bone stock & fresh off the boat.

I picked up this 1987 HJ61 last year from our partners at Land Cruisers Direct. In what I consider a moment of weakness, I agreed to sell my favorite BJ74, Righty. It wasn't the most pristine specimen and it certainly wasn't built up or ready for adventure but it was just fun to Cruise around in and always turned heads. Steve and discussed listing it and if found a new home, admittedly one that is taking off-road thus it really is seeing a better life.

So why a 60 Series? Well, I've had a few FJ60's and an FJ62 but none that I've really kept long term yet I really love 60 Series and they are one of my favorite all-time looking Land Cruisers. I'd had my eye on a few diesel imports over the years and none really scratched the itch... until the Red Dragon appeared. Steve sent over a few pics and I said "lets do it", it was on it's way to SLC. If I didn't fall in love, I knew it wouldn't take long to find a new home for it, what is the risk? It's a neat truck, a 1987 HJ61 with factory lockers and a PTO winch. Fairly low miles, the 12HT is strong and the H55F shifts tight and smooth. A perfect platform!

loaded.jpg

Loaded up for SLC. The BJ74 that would eventually become Woody's is on the load too.

The build will be straightforward and simply. Old Man Emu suspension setup to handle the heavy diesel and planned gear. Front and rear bumpers, sliders, maybe a roof rack and some interior mods like CB/HAM and outlets for charging and a fridge.

Out back I opted for Trail Tailor Rear Bumper & Sliders. I've worked with Jason at Trail Tailor on a variety of projects and when it came time for a rear bumper option on this project he was my first contact. There are some neat offerings out there on the market but Jason had recently build one for another customer of mine (Casey Smith) and I really liked the way it turned out and the craftsmanship of the assembly. Jason was kind enough to drop them by while in SLC and brought along a pair of his newly finished 6x Series sliders to show-off as well, yup... "I need those too, go ahead and leave them here." That was easy.

rear_bumper.jpg

I'm a sucker for the look of an ARB Winchbar on the front and it's still a fairly decent seller for our customers so it makes sense to have one here to show customers. Winch plans are still up in the air as it is currently equipped with a factory PTO. I love the unique nature of the PTO but if I've got to use the winch, I prefer an electric :D At that I'll most likely use a 24V ComeUp variant, we've been using them for the last 3-4 years in all of our JDM 24V truck builds and I've run a couple on personal rigs with good results. More recently one of my shop employees and our good friend/previous employee raced in the Legend Class at King of the Hammers using a ComeUp equipped rock buggy. They flogged the winch getting through some rock sections and sand yet had nothing but good things to say about their winch... nothing less than expected but precisely why we are comfortable using them and recommending them.

This is the 60 Series section after all, how about some 60's

sixties.JPG

:popcorn:

Awesome Kurt! Bring it on the Outlaws Run this year so I can check it out! :)

Awesome Kurt! Bring it on the Outlaws Run this year so I can check it out! :)

I very well may. I took it on the Relic Run/Retro Ramble event last year and had a blast driving it around in the mountains. The suspension needs some MAJOR love and the accelerator is super touchy, combine the two and it could get pretty bounce-lurchy. I have a new Denso accelerator spring from @Mr Tibbs that I need to install, that should settle the bounce down.

Great to work with you again Kurt.

It's been like 6 months since I dropped that off ya know.... HEE HEE! GET TO WORK...J

I know, I know. I actually started typing this build thread a few months ago and am just now kicking it off now that I've got to get serious about having it done for Cruise Moab :D

The bumper pics surfaced before the acknowledgement of the truck!

Good work Kurt. Freeborn Red: best Land Cruiser body color ever.

I think Jason dropped off the bumper before I had even decided to keep the Cruiser :D

Before the bumpers and sliders go to powder-coat, I wanted to take advantage of the bare steel to make some minor tweaks. My goal was to use the same Aussie standard LED combination rear light found in Kaymar and others down under and also used in our 7x rear bumpers here in the US.

I started by laying out the lights on the bumper for a good aesthetic look:

bump_mod_1.jpg

I then drilled the corners:

bump_mod_2.jpg

Next up was to plasma from corner to corner and clean up:

bump_mod_3.jpg

I added a flat strap inside of the bumper to provide the backer for the LED light assembly, I'll get some pictures of that added down the road. In the meantime, how about some build pics of the rear bumper from Jason

bump_mod_4.jpg

bump_mod_5.jpg

bump_mod_6.jpg

Your builds are always interesting to watch. How you chronical you thoughts and methods make it a good read. Enjoying your 200 build.

glad .. you are in the 60 Diesel Club ..

feel kinda bad about your idea to dish the PTO .. got your reasons, but dude .. those are pretty awesome ( PTO winches ) and just a few privileged in the world have chance to have it factory in your Cruiser ..

Sub'd because it has a 12H-t and is Freeborn Red:cool:

Other than the fact that it's not BLUE!! That's a cool 60 :D

Red 70 series go to Woody?

Freeborn Red: best Land Cruiser body color ever.

I must beg to differ.

Bring this one on Outlaws this year Kurt and we can compare the best 60 series colors ever!

That is a really, really nice looking 61. But, of course I'm pretty partial to all diesel 60s.

Dan

Sub'd

Other than the fact that it's not BLUE!! That's a cool 60 :D

Red 70 series go to Woody?

Yessir. It came out here as a demo/test vehicle and quickly found a new no,e with Jon Bunderant from All Pro, he later sold it to Woody :cool:

image.jpg
I also released a bj74 to get a hj61, (meet Henry)prefer the imports as opposed to local spec's I agree bj74 are fun and nimble, but for some reason the 61 has class of its own, and I needed more of a all rounder tourer than a fantastic 4wd, I like keeping my factory as possible , although did rip auto out and slapped in 5 speed immediately, and tested with a 6000klms trip dragging the gang over Xmas in the peak of the heat, great machines I'm total converted to the 61, they just purr , look forward to what you do with the red dragon,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom