Recovery Points (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Exactly. Has to perform as a system with FMEA to control failure modes.

That said, @turbo8 , appreciate the input and analysis. I'd be very interested in a similar type of recover point but for the rear, as it only has a recovery point installed on the passenger side. Too often I'm actively using the hitch for a carrier in overland mode. And still need to recovery friends, so having a balanced pull using a bridle from two points would be nice.
I have something designed already, but not sure if it is worth while. I couldn't make the rear as low profile as the front.

Last edited:
I received my black front recovery points from @turbo8 today. I love how low profile they are and the black allows them to blend in with the surroundings and not stick out like a sore thumb like some other recovery points on the market.

Upon removing my factory tow points I had to hit the area with a wire wheel to remove the light surface rust/corrosion left over from the factory hardware and then I applied a few coats of Rustoleum black. The new recovery points come with new hardware to which I applied loctite. A great product from a great member offering new products for our 200's.

p1AJD0L.jpg

nAhmKVY.jpg

Kjvp7Y2.jpg

HyA65DE.jpg

jVaiRcE.jpg

4HtEkEH.jpg

wv340Ea.jpg

zdbMdR4.jpg

So I was pretty confident with the factory front tow hooks until I bent one, not from a pull but hitting it off-roading. Which made me go down the rabbit hole.

I ran a FEA on them. I'm not sure on the steel used for them, but I hope they were made from something like 4130. The results are they probably will start to fail around 7000lbs.
View attachment 3176702

That is why I made some new recovery points. Which are rated for 10,000lbs with a good safety factor. These also gives more clearance while off-roading and have radius edges so soft shakles can be used.
View attachment 3176708
View attachment 3176710

Nice part. Why 6061 rather than steel?

Nice part. Why 6061 rather than steel?
Thanks, If they were machined out of steel they would actually cost more, around 50% more.

@turbo8

They work great. Took some good hits. Glad I swapped out the ARB recovery points.

No damage to truck.

IMG_2795.jpeg

Love mine, sad I had to remove them for the bumper install.

Love mine, sad I had to remove them for the bumper install.
Buy my rear bumper and the recovery points will attach to it. ;)

So I was pretty confident with the factory front tow hooks until I bent one, not from a pull but hitting it off-roading. Which made me go down the rabbit hole.

I ran a FEA on them. I'm not sure on the steel used for them, but I hope they were made from something like 4130. The results are they probably will start to fail around 7000lbs.
View attachment 3176702

That is why I made some new recovery points. Which are rated for 10,000lbs with a good safety factor. These also gives more clearance while off-roading and have radius edges so soft shakles can be used.
View attachment 3176708
I assume it would be higher but not exactly double. If you connected to both points and pulled from the middle how would the partial side loading affect the rating?

Okay so kinda answering my own question, I think that it really should not be a concern. Assuming a 10,000lb winch pulling its max force, which is then used in a bridle setup, so there is a 5,000lbs pulling force directly forward on each recovery point. So this leads to only having an inward pulling force. represented as Fa of 1,300lbs. This is assuming a 10ft tree saver as well, which would give you this ideal 30 deg.

image2.png

image.png

View attachment 3176702

View attachment 3176708
View attachment 3176710

I love this. I really do but I have a question.

Often recoveries are not performed in a straight line with the recovery point but at an angle, have you look at that scenario and what a serious load would do to the recovery point?

Thanks- Adam

In that situation wouldn't you pull from the tire/rim?

My front recovery points are rated for 10,000lbs with a 2 times saftey factor which really equates to ~20,000lbs failure point, when used in a straight pull (0°).

The saftey factor progressively drops, the larger of an angle you pull from.

On a 90° side pull, they will most likely fail around 10,500lbs of force (1.05 times saftey factor).

If anyone wants a certain degree pull failure point, let me know!

This all disregards the bolts/frame failing first.

The stock recovery points are more than adequate though. Mine just offer more clearance for situations like this.. :)

VideoCapture_20240125-221758.jpg

VideoCapture_20240125-221837.jpg

The stock recovery points are more than adequate though.

One caveat here.. only if they are as-installed with the 90 degree tie-down loop still in place, to clamp the main hook base between the frame and the thick plate of that loop.

If the bolts are just tightened against the relatively thin base of the hook they’ll fail much more quickly than if the clamping force is distributed out.

Well Im glad you mentioned this because I was actually thinking about the bolts being the weak point. However especially if you upgraded bolts, may not really be a practical issue.

Well, a 45-degree pull of 10,000 lb would be 7000 in both x and y. It's not until 15 degrees (from the front of the vehicle) that you get pretty close to the rating, at 9,600. I mean look ARB doesn't give any ratings, so even having this info from you is super great.
On a 90° side pull, they will most likely fail around 10,500lbs of force (1.05 times saftey factor).

If anyone wants a certain degree pull failure point, let me know!

This all disregards the bolts/frame failing first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom