Recovering Kits for early FJ40 Benchseat Foam and Covers Brand Recommendations? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This has to be a heavily discussed topic, someone enlighten me, please. I am currently in the research phase of recovering kits for my '70 FJ40 with the standard front bench. I am looking to go all the way down to the seat frame mend any broken seat springs with the welder, replace the foam, and then a sweet set of coral covers. Does anyone have "firsthand" experience on getting a set of the covers over new foam on an early model front bench? I'm not looking for a nightmare recovering seats, but I don't want a saggy cover job with a bunch of wrinkles from bad corner cuts. If it's a PITA I'd rather just fix the frames and outsource it to a local interior shop so that it's done well. In short, how many beers will this job take to complete?

RIght now, I am considering running with Specter on this, considering they are the only ones with availability of the precut replacement foam.

Does anyone have a recommendation/lead on a better option?

I just did mine a few days ago... You can check out the last page in my thread for the process. @EWheeler just did his as well.

You don't really need precut foam for the bench seats. Just go get some rolls of foam and cut your own.

As far as I'm concerned, Cruiser Corps is the only place to go for bench seat covers.

This has to be a heavily discussed topic, someone enlighten me, please. I am currently in the research phase of recovering kits for my '70 FJ40 with the standard front bench. I am looking to go all the way down to the seat frame mend any broken seat springs with the welder, replace the foam, and then a sweet set of coral covers. Does anyone have "firsthand" experience on getting a set of the covers over new foam on an early model front bench? I'm not looking for a nightmare recovering seats, but I don't want a saggy cover job with a bunch of wrinkles from bad corner cuts. If it's a PITA I'd rather just fix the frames and outsource it to a local interior shop so that it's done well. In short, how many beers will this job take to complete?

RIght now, I am considering running with Specter on this, considering they are the only ones with availability of the precut replacement foam.

Does anyone have a recommendation/lead on a better option?
For the bench seat I would not spend the money on Specter foam personally. Just go to Jo-Anns or Hobby lobby and buy some craft foam.

Regarding broken springs, I repaired two broken springs by overlapping the springs about 1" and using stainless tie-wire to re-connect them. My theory is that a welded spring will not last long with the leverage and constant bending stress and cyclical loading. I moved them to the center of the seat base where they hopefully would not see as much stress as they would on the outer edge, both broken springs came from the left edge of the drivers seat bottom.

IMG_4019.JPG
IMG_4020.JPG
IMG_4022.JPG
IMG_4028.JPG

Unfortunately I did not take any photos of the re-covering process of the seat bottom. I filled the base of the seat with polyfill. I used too much. The seat bottom is too firm. I suggest SOME polyfill, but dont "stuff" it full. Then cover the metal frame with two layers of jute to protect the foam from the sharp edges. My memory isn't serving me well, but I am pretty sure I used 1" thick craft foam on the seat bases. I know I used 1" on the seat backs and pretty sure I did the same on the bases.

My only gripe is the coral color shows a nasty/ugly temporary discoloration when it is damp/wet, like from your back/butt/leg sweat on a hot day, or from a damp rag attempting to clean the vinyl. There are others that have complained about this same phenomenon on the forum with the CC coral covers. I'm not sure what the cause or solution is, but the discoloration goes away after the moisture evaporates.

Overall, I like the value of buying the covers and DIYing the install. I have too many interests to be paying the pros for every little thing. The fit of both the front seat covers and rear jump seat covers from Cruiser Corps was spot on. One thing I would definitely recommend is installing a stainless wire through the perimeter of the securing edge of the covers. This requires poking an entry hole and exit hole and snaking the wire through. Make sure you catch the wire when you secure the seat covers, and this will keep the tension on the cover from ripping the cover from the securement points.

IMG_4004.JPG
IMG_4008.JPG

IMG_4012.JPG

@EWheeler solid rundown on best practices. I think I'll head over to JoAnn's and see I can secure some of this poly fill and craft foam. I had a feeling buying precut squares of foam was an overpriced racket, thanks for the tip! Looks pretty straightforward, I think I'll follow suit. Expect a DM if I hit a snag lol

For the bench seat I would not spend the money on Specter foam personally. Just go to Jo-Anns or Hobby lobby and buy some craft foam.

Regarding broken springs, I repaired two broken springs by overlapping the springs about 1" and using stainless tie-wire to re-connect them. My theory is that a welded spring will not last long with the leverage and constant bending stress and cyclical loading. I moved them to the center of the seat base where they hopefully would not see as much stress as they would on the outer edge, both broken springs came from the left edge of the drivers seat bottom.

View attachment 3514766View attachment 3514767View attachment 3514768View attachment 3514769

Unfortunately I did not take any photos of the re-covering process of the seat bottom. I filled the base of the seat with polyfill. I used too much. The seat bottom is too firm. I suggest SOME polyfill, but dont "stuff" it full. Then cover the metal frame with two layers of jute to protect the foam from the sharp edges. My memory isn't serving me well, but I am pretty sure I used 1" thick craft foam on the seat bases. I know I used 1" on the seat backs and pretty sure I did the same on the bases.

My only gripe is the coral color shows a nasty/ugly temporary discoloration when it is damp/wet, like from your back/butt/leg sweat on a hot day, or from a damp rag attempting to clean the vinyl. There are others that have complained about this same phenomenon on the forum with the CC coral covers. I'm not sure what the cause or solution is, but the discoloration goes away after the moisture evaporates.

Overall, I like the value of buying the covers and DIYing the install. I have too many interests to be paying the pros for every little thing. The fit of both the front seat covers and rear jump seat covers from Cruiser Corps was spot on. One thing I would definitely recommend is installing a stainless wire through the perimeter of the securing edge of the covers. This requires poking an entry hole and exit hole and snaking the wire through. Make sure you catch the wire when you secure the seat covers, and this will keep the tension on the cover from ripping the cover from the securement points.

View attachment 3514773View attachment 3514774
View attachment 3514772
In hindsight, i probably could have overlapped the springs like i did and the welded them together on both sides to get a more permanent solution than the wire tie method that i used. Kind of a disappointment looking back, as I own a welder and work for a welding contractor for a living and it never crossed my mind to weld them!

I bought seat foam from this place to make bunk beds in our travel trailer. Cut with an electric carving knife. This foam is a lot better than JoAnn/hobby store foam as I’ve BTDT.

Considering getting more to make my own bucket seat cushions as I just can’t stomach $OR’s prices and shipping for their foam.

In hindsight, i probably could have overlapped the springs like i did and the welded them together on both sides to get a more permanent solution than the wire tie method that i used. Kind of a disappointment looking back, as I own a welder and work for a welding contractor for a living and it never crossed my mind to weld them!
They also make clamps for the springs to repair them if so inclined. Something like this you crimp over the overlapped spring pieces.
B.C. Upholstery Lined BW Spring Clips (C-Clips) - 10 Clips Per Pack https://a.co/d/1CKpbBv

A decent upholstery shop should be able to make new springs pretty cheap too.

I have done 4 sets of cruiser corps covers, front and back in black and gray. Little gripes but overall happy with the fit and quality. As said, Jo Ann or hobby lobby foam.

I used SOR covers on a '65 FJ45 and they looked and fit perfectly. I did not want a coral color.

P4230020.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom