Recommended Quiet Muffler For Stock FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m looking for recommendations on replacing my muffler with a QUIET one that fits into my 78 FJ40. I assume it would need to be something wider with more baffles internally to reduce sound but would also have to fit within the limited space. However, modifying the pipe angle is an option as well. I just had the local Midus shop put in a straight through 4”round W X 24”L with 2” pipe, and it’s friggen loud, especially with the top off. For the first time I actually don’t enjoy driving it. All help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Don

B446A963-2395-404D-9CA4-2B565E9C02C5.jpeg

Last edited:
Sorry, it isn’t a modern car. It’s gonna sound like a tractor no matter what you do to it

Your muffler is not in the stock location for a 78. 74 was the last time that location was used. While the stock muffler is NLA for a 78. The 79+ was still available last time I looked. Not too hard to difficult to get to work in a 78. The stock location is behind the rear axle and muffler is parallel to the axle and exhausted out the right side. While still round muffler is much larger.

I’ve got a SS Walker Quiet Flow Muffler. Although I’ve got a V8, I’ve had modern cars beside me on the road that are louder. The transmission is much louder that the muffler. Even at WOT, there’s hardly any exhaust noise.

The same can’t be said about intake noise. It was quiet with a stock air filter housing… but somewhat anemic. With the open element air filter it’s way louder than the exhaust.

There are sound clips and PNs in my build thread below. It was a stock replacement muffler for a V6 or V8 Chevelle.

Last edited:

Behind the mirror while stopped:

It reminds me of the '66 GMC we had that had been my grandfathers on the farm. Low down torque is excellent... but the A/C compressor is louder than the engine. It's not silent but it is very, very mellow. It you've got sensory issues, this is the muffler for you... if you want to hear the V8, it's likely too quiet. It reminds me of the BMW motorcycle I had.

I'm going to enjoy the fresh air and the scenery with no noise. That said, I'll need to install the stereo I've had sitting a shelf for the last 10 years... now that I can hear it.

I used two Midas mufflers (Gold series) listed for a Cadillac on my Chevota, I could sneak up behind people walking in a parking lot.

About 10 years ago I dropped off my rig at a muffler shop whom I’ve dealt with several times for other vehicles and said replace everything from the manifold back. And do whatever it takes to make it quieter. Add a resonator, huge muffler, dual mufflers or whatever it takes. I’ll leave it up to you to make it quiet. When I picked it up, it looked identical to what it was before but just new. It also sounded just the same as before. When I said, “what the heck’s up with that” they just said, “Oh no, it’s definitely quieter now”. There wasn’t much I could do.

Two years ago, I swapped in a “Walker Quiet-Flow”. It’s quieter than before but I was hoping for more. I’d like to try adding a resonator some day but I’m just guessing it might help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom