Recommendation for Shop capable of an 80 Series full Restoration? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There are a number of shops out there that restore old Land Cruisers. However, most of them seem to specialize in older (i.e. 40 series) cruisers.

I've got an 80 series that I love. There isn't anything like it in terms of new vehicles, so I plan on keeping it pretty much forever.

However, I'm considering getting it restored. I'd like to get it restored to as close to "factory new" condition as possible (including my various mods.)

Anyone out there done that with an 80 series?

Anyone out there that can recommend a shop that could do the work and do it well?

Adding a geographical area would help narrow down recommendations. If Southeast ACC will likely be able to take on the task and do it well.

How much money do you have? @c2dfj45 C2 Designs in Florida has taken on major restoration projects and I would definitely consider them for a major big dollar project.

I figure it will be expensive.

I'm looking for a shop that has a lot of Land Cruiser experience.

We are in Boise, feel free to hit us up for a chat and a quote.

shop # 208-917-3474
ian@snlandcruisers.com

We have four major build threads going here on mud if you want to check our work out. A half dozen older build threads on here as well going back ten years.

Cheers

I dont know how other shops stack up but I used to live close to ACC. Nice shop with good people. They do a lot of 40s and 60s. Lots of frame off builds. It couldn't hurt to talk to them.

Slee Offroad is in your general part of the country, in Colorado. Not sure they would take on a full restoration, but they are very experienced with the 80 series.

Slee Off Road
700 Pine Ridge Road
Golden CO 80403

(303) 278 8287
(888} 4×4 SLEE (US Only)
{888) 494-7533

No idea if Joey @NLXTACY has pressed the start button on restorations, but I believe one of the objectives of his move to Oregon was to take on restoration business. And he knows 80 Series as well and any man out there. Now, you may end up with a NASA-spec Land Cruiser capable of interstellar travel across the time/space continuum, but might be worth the inquiry.

Last edited:
We are in Boise, feel free to hit us up for a chat and a quote.

shop # 208-917-3474
ian@snlandcruisers.com

We have four major build threads going here on mud if you want to check our work out. A half dozen older build threads on here as well going back ten years.

Cheers

This looks perfect. Will reach out.

No idea if Joey @NLXTACY has pressed the start button on restorations, but I believe one of the objectives of his move to Oregon was to take on restoration business. And he knows 80 Series as well and any man out there. Now, you may end up with a NASA-spec Land Cruiser capable of interstellar travel across the time/space continuum, but might be worth the inquiry.

you are actually more right than you know. Doing a “restoration” isn’t very interesting to me. There are plenty of shops that can over charge for that level of work. I prefer to over charge for projects that require a lot of potential product development since coming up with new ideas is more in my wheelhouse than just buying and refurbishing a bunch of OEM parts and slapping them into a truck with a shiney new paint job. 😜

Utah is kind of vague, but since most people live on the wasatch front I assume that....

I would also talk to Cruiser Outfitters and see if they have anyone they would recommend. Unfortunately, us 80 drivers aren't paying the bills for most of these guys and they are finding someone dropping another $50k on a new 200 or 4runner without batting an eye is much more lucrative.

Another would be Dan Busey in Salt Lake might have some recommendations. Land Cruiser Heritage Museum - Dan Busey

This might be sacrilege, but Salt Coast Defenders in Woods Cross has done several cruisers. There niche is Land Rovers, but I've stopped in before and they have a good Cruiser portfolio as well.

They'll do it however you want it done. Stock, or upgrade to modern technology but keep the Cruiser bones and heritage, to making it a Cruiser in name only.

Casey at PointS in Woods Cross also does frame-off to just repairs. He's a different level of work. I think of his work as a blue collar approach and Salt Coast as a white glove approach. He has a lot more going on than what you see at the PointS. Check the 3 (4?) Bay shop at the back and the ~15k SQ. Ft. Shop that shares the North parking lot.

Hi, Time will be a factor. When do you want it done by? I’ve seen cruisers sit in shops for years with little to no work going on. Mike

I have a 97 LX450 (that’s a lot like a fzj80) in Texas that I sent to Frank at Landcruiser Heaven in Maryland.

Before:

Full paint, (a Lexus color), took the LX450 cladding and luggage rack off, welded all the holes shut, kept the flares. Full interior refresh, (carpet, headliner, leather, foam, heaters), re-powder coasted the Slee rear bumper and sliders, took the ARB off the front for a Short Bus on the front. Adding lots of LED lights and a ARB Linx setup.

Pulled the 1FZ-FE and A340F, installing a 1HD-FTE with H151, part-time xfer case, e-locked axles. Full 3” stainless exhaust, and some fun Gturbo upgrades on the engine.

Pulled the OME springs in favor of Dobinsons coils and shocks. Added Tarox brakes, ARB drawers & fridge, @Delta VS center and shifter consoles and their modular storage system. Adding a dual tank setup (LRA aux tank.)

Login • Instagram

Call Frank Diaz (@FloridaFJ80) at LCH. He’ll do ya right. I’m sure he can keep it a bit more sane than this. 😀

Last edited:
I have personally seen this “ultimate” build in progress when I took my HDJ81 over to Land Cruiser Heaven for a bumper install. It’s a COMPLETE and outrageously expensive make over for sure (guessing six figures). I also saw folks doing some really nice leather work too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom