Rebuilt 1HDT with a Mystery Tick?? (video included) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This 1HDT is out of a 1991 hdj81 (JDM) and has been completely rebuilt by a machine shop with a kit supplied by engines Australia including new pistons (.5mm over). The head and cam were also replaced with genuine Toyota parts. The power steering pump and vacuum pump were also completely rebuilt by me at the same time and the injection pump was done by @yotahed at Okanagan Diesel.

I have taken the truck on two 25km test drives now and this tick showed up part way through the second trip. I have read lots about the 1HDT ticks and how it is common and even somewhat "normal" but have never actually heard or seen a video of what people are describing. The best matching description I have found is the sound of a playing card in the spokes of a bicycle.

This being a "new" motor and having made a huge investment in it I'am not happy with any tick. Any help identifying or diagnosing it would be appreciated. Even if your commenting just to tell me yours makes the same sound. Thanks

Last edited:
Kind of hard to tell too much from the video. Does it tick when you first start it? Is is louder on one side or the other?

Could it be an exhaust leak at manifold? I had one on a diesel and I thought for sure it was a lifter.

Does not tick until warmed up and seems to come from the front left lower side of the engine. Or at least thats where it can be heard best but that could be because its not drowned out as much by the rest of the engine and fan noises. To me it is very noticeable even in the video.

Yes. I put a stethoscope on the injection pump but it didnt seem like the source..... The sound in the video is definetley most noticeable when I go underneath and from inside the left wheel well

If it's what I think I'm hearing, it's loudest on the injection pump side? Has the ACSD been removed? Doesn't sound uniform enough to be injector noise, IMO. Have you put the stethoscope to the oil pan?

Hopefully unrelated, and maybe I've never really paid attention, but your oil pressure seems slow to come up on the gauge, especially given that the engine is already warm as per the temp gauge.

Yes the ACSD has been removed and I have put the stethoscope over everything without being able to pin point the noise. The sound is quite loud and as mentioned is best described and a card in the spokes of a bike wheel. It does not however stay consistent all the time with the hum of the engine and has little glitches where it cuts in and out

I also wondered after watching the video if the oil pressure was slow to rise??

Last edited:
I guess it could also be described as similar to the buzzing like sound a self resetting auto electric breaker makes when their is a short circuit. But obviously much louder

Only two things I can think of..

1 time we saw something like this it was a plugged fuel filter which can make the fuel pump make that noise and louder as it gets more restricted.

2 Peter Mac had a factory short block from toyota, he installed all his old parts including oil pump and the noise again from what he reported sounded simular, put in a new oil pump and noise be gone..

Good luck.

Rob

Interesting.....

The oil pump was replaced as part of the whole unit that makes up the rear aluminum cover that houses the timing gear and that the injection pump mounts to. I also filled it with oil before starting the motor as per the FSM. So I wouldnt think that was it.

I also installed a new fuel filter before starting the motor for the first time. However you may have hit on something?? One thing I overlooked was that my fuel had now been sitting in the tank for about a year since pulling the motor. I did top up the tank on my second test drive after noticing the tick to try and freshen up the fuel but was only able to put 20 Litres in. I wonder if old fuel could have this effect on the pump?? I guess I should drain it and put a new fuel filter on and see what happens

Take the solid rod out of your stethoscope and put a hollow tube in there instead. You will then be able to pin point the source of the sound. The solid rod they come with changes the sound and makes it difficult to interpret what you are hearing. The hollow tube will narrow it down very quickly and doesn't color or change the sound. Be careful of the fan and also the air it will blow up the tube...your ears won't like it.

Timing is set at 1.33*, factory spec is 1.29 to 1.35 if I remember corectly. Would the over sized pistons have an effect on timing requirements??

Good point on the stethoscope. I will try that along with removing the fan belts to eliminate any unwanted airflow interference

Timing is set at 1.33*, factory spec is 1.29 to 1.35 if I remember corectly. Would the over sized pistons have an effect on timing requirements??

Good point on the stethoscope. I will try that along with removing the fan belts to eliminate any unwanted airflow interference

Nah, larger bore size won't change timing requirements. Get that stethoscope sorted asap so you can narrow it down to the culprit.

I paid attention to my oil pressure when I took my truck for a drive tonight, oil pressure takes a few seconds to come up on the gauge same as yours, so I wouldn't worry about that at all.

Unfortunately that tick is not normal. There's a 20+ page thread over on LCOOL covering the 1HD-T tick if you haven't availed yourself already. Mainly older engines, some rebuilds though. Might be of some help.

Do you have an oil pressure gauge hooked up?? Also, there's a PRV on that side (longshot) in the gear casing.

Your idle is 300 high. Does it lessen when adjusted correctly?

As said already, bring it back to the rebuilder and have him Stethoscope it. If he can't find it, find another machinist.

Fine work under that hood. Best of luck tracking it down.

300 hundred to high . I have mine idling at 400 rpm always have always will. .high idle start ups are definitely not good for any part of the motor. X2 on some ticking even fresh ones. Timimg and fuel is where I'd start . Any tuners around you. Initial setup might be worth it after you clean up the fuel.

Check the harmonic balancer. Mine fell apart and was making a similar noise as it touched the timing cover

Ive noticed a tick in my 1hd-t recently as well.

Just rolled over 260k km. Been running veggie oil for the past 10k km. Had the fuel pin upgraded in the last 5000km.
I'll be doing my Injectors soon, was just starting to wonder if I needed to look at valves.

I wont be home until Thursday or Friday to start looking at this again but at least now I have a couple things to look at

@IanB thanks for the conformation on the rise of the oil gauge being normal. It was a source of anxiety waiting for it to come up these first couple starts.

@SHREDwagon no I dont have an after market oil gauge hooked up yet but the factory sending unit is new for what its worth. I am not familiar with the LCOOL sight but I will look up the thread your talking about. Also what is a PRV??

@wrongway around Yes I realize it is idling high and will make adjustments. Unfortunately I dont have any diesel shops around who can or will do a tune for me. The closest is 2.5 hours away. I am going to try and get things dialed in a little better with some guidance from yotahed and figure out my tick issue before taking it anywhere

@Neil826 thanks for the input. The harmonic balancer is new but I will double check it and retorque my crank bolt for piece of mind

@danakittilsen It sounds like we are at opposite ends of the spectrum and dealing with very different tick issues. I would start a new thread or find one that more closely relates to yours, just so my thread doesnt get hijacked and off topic. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom