Rear tire/gas tank carrier damages multiplier? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

I was looking at the rear bumper with rear tire or gas tank carrier attached, and have a question on the rigidity of those carriers. I have no prior experience on that, and would like to learn from you guys. Do they flex and hit the rear door when the truck is hit from behind. I owned a 80 before, and was told to remove the factory bull bar immediately because the bar amplifies the damages to the front end if there is a front collison. Does the rear carrier cause similar damages to the rear end? If so, I guess this is a tradeoff for having extra carrying spaces.

Would like to learn about this.

The bar you were "told" to remove from your 80 likely wasn't a bull bar, it was probably a brush guard. Also not factory, likely made by WAAG or the like. Great for shopping carts hitting them, not great for fender benders, trees, etc. It's called a damage multiplier because they're so thin that they will often just bend into the body work, causing more expensive damage to that. A true bull bar is strong enough that it won't deflect into the body unless it's hit hard, like an auto accident.

So, most rear bumpers that feature a ladder or tire carrier are much stronger than OEM. However, if something were to hit those and push them into the tail gate, then they could potentially damage the gate and glass.

I pretty much assume if I'm tagged from the rear, the tire carrier is prob going to be pushed into the rear hatch. The carriers flex a little, and are spaced only a few inches from the back hatch.

Depends what hits you. SUV, Truck, or semi, is probably gonna push the carriers into the hatch. Now a car on the other hand probably won't, unless going at substantial speed.

Slee vs. 4R

Link here:

Slee Rear Bumper Crash Test (Unofficial, Unsolicited, Unplanned)

All depends on the design. Slee has one of the strongest products on the market and $5-6K in damage still occurred. Just image the damage with a crappy chinese or homemade bumper or what if a vehicle with a better designed front bumper had hit the Slee rear.

Damage in this situation in inevitable.

2012-04-01BCCSanRafaelOvernight2471.jpg

2012-04-01BCCSanRafaelOvernight2466.jpg

2012-04-01BCCSanRafaelOvernight2516.jpg

4R

2012-04-01BCCSanRafaelOvernight2458.jpg

I remember those pics from my 4Runner days. The 4Runner has/had a Shrockworks front bumper, made of 3/16", 1/4" & 3/8" plate steel. I had one on my 3rd gen 4Runner, it was fairly decently braced internally so that was definitely a solid hit.

I remember those pics from my 4Runner days. The 4Runner has/had a Shrockworks front bumper, made of 3/16", 1/4" & 3/8" plate steel. I had one on my 3rd gen 4Runner, it was fairly decently braced internally so that was definitely a solid hit.

Looks like a 4X Innovation to me. But, I don't know the 4R and Taco bumpers too well.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom