Rear sliding windows - rebuild (step by step - LOTS of pics) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Rear sliding windows - rebuild (step by step - LOTS of pics) AND new JCW Part #!

Hello everyone. Thought i'd start a new thread on this since i've resurrected a couple ancient ones enough times. I got my rear sliding windows from a fellow mud member (thx lynchmob!), and while they are in decent condition, they definitely are 20+ years old. So thanks to several threads, i got started on these. I will be following Tinker's advice on install, or have them installed professionally - depending on cost to install.

Tinker's install:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/231714-aussie-sliding-windows-trimmed.html

Euclid provided links to get the replacement weather strip. The old stuff was pulling up in the corners, and though it would've worked, i think the new weatherstrip will seal better in the long run. PITA looks to be cutting the corners so it bends right to fit, and cutting out the drain holes at the bottom.
Euclid's post w/ link:
Had someone ask for clarification on the weatherstrip I used, maybe the tinyurl isn't working correctly.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...01&sku=ZX184894B+&searchbtn.x=2&searchbtn.y=9

WEATHERSTRIP HAS A NEW PART # @ JCWhitney!
PITA, but found it again
here.
(They swear it's the same, but someone please post up and confirm!)​
Tinker and Euclid especially have been huge helps - thanks guys!

My other revived thread about pulling glass:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/67831-pulling-glass-sliding-windows.html

OK, so with that info (if anyone's awake still) i started tearing these bad boys apart.

Here's one of the "new" (to me) windows:
DSC_7779.JPG

Remove the top screw:
DSC_7768.JPG

open the windows so glass is in the center.

back glass comes out easy (mine just about fell out):
DSC_7782.JPG

I wasn't able to get a pic of this part (hands full). I put the window down on the ground, with my feet through the open windows on each side of outer glass. I pulled up on both sides while holding window down w/ feet and GF pulled glass down and towards her to get it out. Not a one person job, unless mine were just especially difficult. Both of mine were this way.

SO w/ glass out:
DSC_7783.JPG

this part gave me the most difficulty so far. Top screw is easy:
DSC_7760.JPG

even though the parts fiche i've seen looks to show a screw at the bottom too - mine does not have a second screw!
DSC_7766.JPG

After fiddling with it A LOT, i finally figured i'd pull the old weather strip to get a better look at the bottom attachment for this center piece.

with the weatherstrip still in (getting pics to show and ask for help)
DSC_7769.JPG

starting to pull WS out:
DSC_7773.JPG

DSC_7789.JPG

while messing with it i got the bottom part of the center piece to move over and back - Tada! i was about to post pics and it solved itself.
DSC_7774.JPG

Alright - now i pulled out the old WS, and compared it with new:
DSC_7793.JPG

at first they didn't look close, but side by side it looks like a perfect replacement. I got 3 lengths, since Tinker or Euclid said 2 was just shy of enough. (anyone need a smidge more just let me know).

I wirewheeled them this weekend, and am primer and painting them before new WS gets put in.

I will post up pics of primered and painted next.

One question for anyone still here... :rolleyes: what did you use to glue in the new weather strip? It had some pretty stout adhesive, almost like rubber cement, before. Suggestions?

I'll let that be enough for now. I'll update this as i go, and hopefully get these done soon.

I hope this helps the next person trying to do this on their used non-us sliders.

GL!

rob

Last edited:
This thread will be invaluable to me once I get mine.

Last edited:
Thanks sl33py, I started clearing my bench of other projects to start on mine. Spring's just around the corner so this is next on my list. I also bought 3 pcs after eading Euclid's thread but that's all I have, is anything else a good idea to replace while I'm at it?

Subscribed

I too have a set of Lynchmob's sale windows. They are next to be done on the exterior projects list.

Ex

This is on my list of things to accomplish this summer. Could you post up how to get your hands on the replacement weather stripping?

Thanks in advance!:cheers:

Thanks sl33py, I started clearing my bench of other projects to start on mine. Spring's just around the corner so this is next on my list. I also bought 3 pcs after eading Euclid's thread but that's all I have, is anything else a good idea to replace while I'm at it?

finding parts are a bitch. I am looking for the center squeegie bits if i can find them and they aren't $1,000,000 (insert pinkie here), i might get a new pair. I've been looking at ToyoDIY.com to see if i can get parts #'s for Cdan or online.

I just finished building my bench in the garage (43.5" high! yay!!), now need to move crap onto shelves so i have space to move around. beats getting the ping pong table dirty!

I'll post up anything i find if it's helpful.

rob

This is on my list of things to accomplish this summer. Could you post up how to get your hands on the replacement weather stripping?

Thanks in advance!:cheers:

good question. I added it to the top, and here's the link euclid provided in other thread:

Jest - also if you are ever up in seattle area let me know and you can have some of the 3rd strip so you only need 2. I doubt i'll need the extra and happy to share.

GL!

rob

I haven't dug mine out yet so the "squeegie" piece isn't something I'm familiar with but suspect it's not so hard to find something that'll work. I'm going to try to get mine to the bench Thursday.

Chris - it's this bit here w/ the 2 rubber/felt squeegie's in the middle between the two sets of glass.

DSC_7773.JPG

it looks pretty specific, don't think i can find an alternative. it somehow locks into place at the bottom and is screwed in place at the top. not run of the mill. I'll let you know what i find and how expensive it is. I may just keep mine, as they aren't too bad. Especially compared to the rubber weather strip. just dusty mostly.

rob

rear sliders

did mine a few months back i just put the new seal in without any glue the vertical wipers? can still be bought from toyo (im in aus ) i just cleaned up the old ones and put them back there was no screws in the bottom of the frames in mine (it had sliders from new) most seals for the cruisers can be bought after market here:) i then just glued the frames back with sikaflex

did mine a few months back i just put the new seal in without any glue the vertical wipers? can still be bought from toyo (im in aus ) i just cleaned up the old ones and put them back there was no screws in the bottom of the frames in mine (it had sliders from new) most seals for the cruisers can be bought after market here:) i then just glued the frames back with sikaflex

SMAN, do you have part numbers for the rubber and wipers? I have a friend down there working and perhaps I can get a new set for my windows. Depends on price I guess.

Thanks
Ex

i found this fiche w/ parts #'s. Someone on mud had it previously, but don't have name to give credit (sorry).

you can also find these pictured (slight less quality=blurry) via toyodiy.com and dig down to aussie 60's rear window. they show the center piece is 100$ ea side. Not sure how you order from their site, or if it's just a price reference or msrp.

here's the pic w/ #'s:
sliding.jpg

HTH

rob

I'm going to follow this thread too! I've got a pair that is on my todo list!

Hey guys - too many projects. Here's the latest. I primered and am painting the frames - before I install the new WS.

Primered:
DSC_7795.JPG

DSC_7797.JPG

Painted:
DSC_7798.JPG

I hope that helps. I am likely going to smooth(sand) down the paint and hit them with one more coat before i call it done. Definitely better than before, and it's not a show truck.

I got some of the Gorilla glue to use when i glue in the new weather strip - think it's too strong? I also have some 3M Super 77 spray if that would be better... Anyone have thoughts on this?

Next i'll see how i need to cut the WS to fit. The bends of OEM are sliced to better conform, and cut drain holes for bottom.

rob

Rob,
Did you find a place to get the middle weather stripping? I think mine is worn smooth out! I would have to vote for the gorilla glue, remember though, it does not dry clear.

OK you whiners! Dynosoar asked me for some of the caterpillar fur for the division bar, so I'm sending him enough for both windows plus spacer material since those things usually disappear or fall apart.

So email me & I'll do the same. All I ask is postage. I hate the PO so I'd rather just go once.

steve@restocustoms.com

Chris - call me & just come pick it up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom