Rear Heater Delete/Coolant Line Cleanup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does anyone know if there is any overlap between the throttle body hoses and the WIt's End Small Hose Kit? From this diagram it looks like at least the three left orange hoses may all connect to the TB. Definitely looks like the one coming off the water pump is the one we said we should cap in addition to the "PHH Neighbor". Just wondering whether or not I will end up installing this kit if I indeed isolate the TB. Thank you, scholars.

Wits-End-Water-Hoses__43894.1610861391.jpg

Does anyone know if there is any overlap between the throttle body hoses and the WIt's End Small Hose Kit? From this diagram it looks like at least the three left orange hoses may all connect to the TB. Definitely looks like the one coming off the water pump is the one we said we should cap in addition to the "PHH Neighbor". Just wondering whether or not I will end up installing this kit if I indeed isolate the TB. Thank you, scholars.

View attachment 2742517
Small hose kit IS the throttle body hoses, plus a bypass hose.

Small hose kit IS the throttle body hoses, plus a bypass hose.
I feel like I am pestering you today Joey- but can you tell me which hose in the kit is the bypass hose and whether or not it is active (therefore I should replace it) once I isolate the TB? Thanks, homie.

1627955764355.png

@MurderBird45 You'll still need the circled hose if you eliminate the other 3 orange throttle body hoses.

I just wanted to give a quick picture tutorial on how I cleaned up my heater and coolant lines under the hood.

On my '93, this method reduced the number of heater hose connections from over 50, to about 10. It also makes the whole system much more simple. This method requires deleting the rear heater (obviously), PAIR system (which Toyota did on later models anyway), and the throttle body coolant lines. On colder-climate trucks, you may want to avoid deleting TB coolant lines.

Replacement parts needed:

To start off with, now is a good time to replace your Pesky Heater Hose ("PHH") and heater valve, since you're going to drain the cooling system and replace lines anyway. There are plenty of great write-ups on this portion of the procedure, so I won't include too much on that topic.

Slee - PHH (Toyota 80 Series Land Cruiser)
ExpeditionLCMajorcoolingoverhaul

The 90* heater elbow (Toyota PN: 87245-60480) goes on top of the PHH hard line. You can bypass the hardline for even fewer connections, but I was afraid a rubber bypass line would rub somewhere and leak. Don't worry, I re-wrapped the engine harness after this photo was taken.

BD26_D5_F5_ED2_C_46_C6_946_E_00_E89_A67_AF3_A.jpg

While you're in the DS front fender doing the PHH, pull the line for the "PHH Neighbor" that routes from the head to the intake manifold hardline.

A77_AE53_D_4_A3_F_4_DD4_A112_04_D04950_F97_E.jpg

Cap the "PHH Neighbor" port with one of your 5/16" rubber hose caps.
D306_B952_DC01_48_A8_A272_82_D5_C7_F42_D34.jpg

Now move to the water pump and pull the 5/16" line coming off the top of the thermostat housing.
0229131_B_E54_E_40_F0_B871_B21_EA343_D898.jpg

Cap the thermostat port with the other 5/16" rubber cap.
989275_E8_6_F22_4_B2_D_88_E9_7_EA44_F0_D537_F.jpg

At this point you have isolated the TB and can remove all of the abandoned TB coolant lines/connections at the front of the motor and under the intake manifold.

Next, we'll move to the Firewall Heater Hoses ("FHH"), heater valve, and thermostat hardline.

I followed this excellent writeup and video tutorial for FHH (Project FJ4door: How I did my 80 series floor heater bypass fzj80 fj80 lc80 lx450). This is the meat and potatoes of the rear heater delete.

The majority of the rear heater deletes I have seen simply use a Gates 90* heater hose from a Dodge Cummins. This is what I did initially.

75_CA838_B_A4_F4_48_F4_B33_C_110526284_D48.jpg

This setup still utilizes the factory "U" shaped hard pipe and simply deletes the rear heater hard pipe on the DS with the 90* Dodge heater hose.

Member @LandCruiserPhil came up with a very clever one-piece solution from Toyota/Gates (Rear Heater Bypass Hose - Land Cruiser Products - LCP). This converts the "U" shaped hardline to a one-piece hose, and reduces the number of connections at the firewall.
9726_D174_6661_4_C17_8083_398_DFE01373_A.jpg

CF042_BB5_97_B5_4_A54_ADA5_F9_E685434_E75.jpg

Finally, the '93 and '94 trucks had two-piece hard pipe and multiple connections from the thermostat to the firewall because of the PAIR system.

7_E78_D9_D0_C018_4070_9_D22_DEF645_C90_A4_C.jpg

If you delete the PAIR system, you can run a one-piece hardline (Toyota PN: 87208-60161) and regular Gates 5/8" green stripe directly from the firewall to the hard pipe. This also deletes the PS portion of the rear heater at the firewall.

0_DF5_B7_C8_9624_4744_91_BD_4_CB22_A2_D4_B7_E.jpg

1_DFB9_F3_E_C815_46_E5_979_D_00_FFFB6_A805_C.jpg

That's about it! Please let me know if you have any questions.

Hey, I likedthe pics of the delete. I recently deleted my heater and physically removed it from under the passenger seat. Now, I have a rectangular hole under there that needs plugging. Does anyone have a grommet for that?

Hey, I likedthe pics of the delete. I recently deleted my heater and physically removed it from under the passenger seat. Now, I have a rectangular hole under there that needs plugging. Does anyone have a grommet for that?
The wits end kit comes with two pieces of heavily aluminized tape. It has held up well.

I deleted mine before the wits end kit was available so I just bought a roll of hvac tape. You can use it for kinds of stuff . I have some of it holding up my tired hood insulator.
Just stick one piece on the interior and another underneath so they stick to each other. It's makes a durable patch that's waterproof as far as I can tell. Make sure you clean both sides well before you place the tape.

How is heat output with the rear heater deleted? On my FZJ i liked using the rear heater to maintain temperature once reached, but on the HDJ i'd rather just simplify. It's a big cabin though... people still staying toasty in -20F weather?

Ditto: HVAC tape will work, or what I did was cut a piece of Dynamat/Hushmat and stuck it over the opening from above and below.

FWIW

How is heat output with the rear heater deleted? On my FZJ i liked using the rear heater to maintain temperature once reached, but on the HDJ i'd rather just simplify. It's a big cabin though... people still staying toasty in -20F weather?
If you have kids and live in the upper midwest, it's worth the hassle. If it's just you or you and the spouse and your heater system is in good shape, it is worth it to rid yourself of the maintenance and possibility of leaks and draining your coolant with out you noticing. By then it might be too late and the 1FZ engine is not very forgiving when overheated. Just food for thought.

My fzj will still sweat you out with just the front heater in the middle of January.

Mind you I live in Virginia where it does get cold, but not like Canadian cold.

I grew up in way upstate NY (basically Quebec) where it got ungodly cold. I might have left it in place if I was still living there.

If I want to delete the TB coolant lines, how many coolant caps should I order?
According to this thread, I understand that 2 are needed to block the thermostat outlet and TB inlet, but no need to cap the outlet of the TB?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom