Rear FJ40 fender flares (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Indygbd

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm looking at adding black fender flares to a fj40. Any suggestions on which one to purchase? It has painted ones now that I do not like. What is your opinion? I also thought about adding black diamond plate too. Does that affect which flares to get?

C356C70C-6ABC-4532-BE5C-88889126681E.jpeg

Those are Bushwacker fender flares and normally had the body cut to match the inside edge of the flare. They used to make them in white and black but only make them in black now-a-days. I've put off updating my white flares because I can't justify buying black ones only to then have to have them painted.

Were the fenders cut to add those?
I've never liked the flares on a 40 but if they've been cut it is what it is

Oh and please don't add diamond plate that's even worse lol
Yes they were previously cut. I'm planning on cleaning it up to sell. Wanted your opinions.

In my onion if you had to keep the flares or change to diamond plate, I would keep the flares. And keep them painted. To me, painted is better than black, the black makes it look obvious that its not supposed to be there. Again just my onion.

If you're going to sell it, why not just paint those flares black. No diamond plate, that s*** is horrible.
Im normally not a fan myself. The problem is it has a strange custom rear tire carrier that has a plate bolted through the rear quarter panels. That area is also starting to rust and bubble a bit. I thought it might look better with that plate mounted to diamond plate rather than bolted through the quarter panels. I can pull carrier, replace and paint quarter panels, ect.... Let the new owner worry about that. I am in the middle of 2 frame off restorations right now. I don't have the time to mess with it.

Im normally not a fan myself. The problem is it has a strange custom rear tire carrier that has a plate bolted through the rear quarter panels. That area is also starting to rust and bubble a bit. I thought it might look better with that plate mounted to diamond plate rather than bolted through the quarter panels. I can pull carrier, replace and paint quarter panels, ect.... Let the new owner worry about that. I am in the middle of 2 frame off restorations right now. I don't have the time to mess with it.
In that case just post it for sale. Whatever changes you make may not be liked by a possible buyer. At least in the condition it sits the new buyer can make a determination of it is for him/her or not. Putting diamond plate corner panels just spells hiding damage to future buyers.

Last edited:
I did those same flares back in the 80's when it was popular to run a wider wheel and tire combo. Once I got in to trail riding nature ripped them off. IMO, flares look stupid with tall and skinny's. Doesn't Real Steel or somebody make wheel opening panels for this issue. You could replace 1 quarter panel to repair the tire carrier issue or just fix that spot and get wheel opening panels. I'd stay away from diamond plate, let the customer see the work that needs done. You don't want to appear to be hiding anything. Another alternative would be to adapt TJ flares, They may look better and are more robust. You have a great following in this community and your knowledge will stand out with the potential buyer. Especially since you have a couple of frame off project going on in your shop.

With stock wheels, I thought the flares made my rear look fat. This was my solution to a hacked up wheel well. Others have done similar.
fat rear.jpg
flarefix.JPG
flarefix.JPG
flare fixit.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom