Rear Disk / Semi-Float FJ60-Caliper? Electronic Parking Brake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was talking to my friend the other day about the brakes on the 60 and some options and configurations I had read about on this forum regarding rear disk setup. One of the classic issues is the parking brake setup. The question came up...Has anyone adapted one of the disk brake calipers that has electric parking brakes. Some of the newer Toyota cars that have rear disk brakes ...the parking break is electric. I'm not sure of the exact design but the caliper has hydraulic setup for service brakes and then it uses some type of electric motor or servo to actuate the parking brake (the actual parking brake appears to be the same service brake). Not sure the caliper is large enough or appropriate for the weight of the FJ60 but on face value it appears to be a great idea. Parking brakes lock with just an electric switch. I was looking for a picture but could not find one at the time of this posting.

In summary some of the newer Toyota cars with disk brakes have electric parking brakes that are part of the rear disk caliper. Wonder if there is a caliper that would be appropriate for the FJ60 that has the electronic parking brake feature? If so this could be a value added solution to the rear disk brake modification.

Others considered this or maybe more of the Toyota line going to electronic rear disk parking brake....?

Don't know if this is a viable option or not, maybe more complexity to the electronic parking brake that would be problematic or too much $$ invovled, anyway, it might be worthy of looking at if you could simply have an on-off electronic swith to control the parking brake and not some ECM or control module.

Last edited:

Last edited:
This is a great question. I do wonder about the fail safe aspect of it though - if you lose power the brake releases?

This is a great question. I do wonder about the fail safe aspect of it though - if you lose power the brake releases?
Or worse, if you lose power and the brakes won’t release.

so functionally like a line lock that has existed for decades?

I don't know specific details other that I saw the rear caliper in the Toyota shop the other day with my friend. On the inboard side of the caliper there is some type of electronic motor/servo that actuates the caliper for the parking brake function (outside of the hydraulic system), the service brakes are still conventionally powered via hydraulics, the parking brake is electronic. A line-loc locks the brakes via the hydraulic system, this locks he brakes through the electronic connection as mentioned. I know I'm not giving precise information, because I don't know the precise details.

Line Loc = locks through hydraulic process

Electric caliper = locks through electro-mechanical function at the caliper

I don't know what level of smart controls are involved, or if the function of the electric parking brake could be simply controlled by on / off switch. I do understand from feedback I heard, that the electric parking brake is not in the hydraulic circuit.

I doubt the electronic parking brake releases with loss of power, it likely takes power to release it once activated is my guess. There likely is a mechanical way to release the electronic parking brake in case of battery failure as this would only seem to make sense.

It's just a low geared electric motor. Like a power window. The electronic brake usually works really well. Would be easy to adapt. Thought bout using one on my 40 for a parking brake. Typically they are used for smaller vehicles, I don't recall any larger vehicles using them. Maybe land Rover? I remember the evoke models have them but not sure about the larger models.

Sounds like more effort for something subpar to line locks which are proven. Either way I would be interested to see one in use on a Cruiser @White Stripe

pics of dual calipers..... just floating the pics for ideas....
main-qimg-e85d0d011a55755c77b27466062ce35c.jpg
main-qimg-4593d2e0dff3633ed5d8a7d38ef30436.jpg

i installed a $50 line lock in my front brake circuit last month and it's been working great.

I've not done much on this at all. Likely next step will be raid the junk yard to see if I can grab a couple of the rear calipers off a newer toyota that has the electric parking brake option. That will be later on, when the weather warms up and I don't have other stuff going on.

The wife's Subaru has electric parking brake. I am not a fan. I'd go line lock before electric myself. That being said, I don't think either of these solutions are going to be ideal. When I finally get my shop built and can do my dream 60 series project, 80 series axles are the current plan. Full floating, rear disk, parking brake cruiser axles.

You could just get spoke-style wheels and ratchet-strap one rear wheel to the frame when you park...you'll want the beefy, flatbed semi sized ones if you park on hills. Just so it's safe :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom