Rear axle seal - need the experts here (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1974 FJ40 so I ordered rear axle seals at the Toyota dealership but I’m pretty sure they are the wrong ones. A couple of decades ago I swapped the differential from a 1970 parts truck. I can’t remember if I swapped the whole axle. I looked through the FAQ but didn’t see what I was looking for. In the photo does it look like I have an early style seal? If I have the early axles, can I have the bearing races replaced?

IMG_5744.jpeg

IMG_5745.jpeg

IMG_6959.jpeg

That axle appears to use a race. The pressed on races like that are replaceable. Some were and others weren’t.

In +/- ‘94 I replaced my complete axle because the ‘74 axle I had didn’t use races and the axle bearing surface was badly pitted. I got lucky and swapped in a FF axle I picked up for $50 and haven’t looked back.

Early bearing races are included with the early bearings. From the looks of your race, I'd recommend replacing them.

I believe the seal for both the early (with race) and late (no race but larger dia bearing/seal surface) are the same.

Thanks for the info. SOR is showing two different parts , I’ll check with Toyota to see if there’s a different part number or not, and hopefully I can find a shop that has experience replacing these bearing races.

Well, you need to know what year axle you have, before you start parts hunting...

There's a digitized copy of the parts fiche on here somewhere, but it's not in the Resources section where it belongs. PartSouq has a copy, but their's only goes back so far...I can't remember how far. I'd look there.

You have to grind the bearings ring off. Cut it part way through with a grinding wheel and smack it with a cold chisel. No art to it.

Thanks for the info. SOR is showing two different parts , I’ll check with Toyota to see if there’s a different part number or not, and hopefully I can find a shop that has experience replacing these bearing races.
Races arent hard, just need to be careful. Removal method is to grind them down in one spot (full length of the race body) until there is just a tiny amount of material left and the hit them with a cold chisel and break the remaining material and remove the race. Heat the new race up to expand it and install. May need a press with enough depth to accept the length of the shaft vertically to press on the new race if expansion due to heating up isn't enough.

Last edited:
I checked the parts fiche and the early vs. late seals have different numbers, so it's likely they may not be identical :hmm::

1690591515736.png

42311E:
1690574921960.png

The seal part no. you have is 90311-47001; the seal for the early axle is 90311-47029.

Since are considering replacing the bearings and races, you may want to get a "kit" from Cruiser Outfitters:

Last edited:
Thanks, I saw that on the website. Appreciate it.

When you remove the seal, there should be a metal "washer" behind the bearing (on the axle side) within the axle housing. If you pull the bearing, avoid grabbing the washer.

You will also need gaskets for the fill and drain plugs. There is an upgrade on the plugs to a allen head socket design, eliminating the hard-to-grab OEM thin hex head plugs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom