REAL TIME HELP on new purchase - won't shift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, little bro bought this '75 last night. On short drive just now, it stopped shifting. We poured in some clutch fluid and got it home. Here's what we found. On a linkage, there's a little bellows-type seal that's leaking like crazy. What are we up against here?

Last edited:
that is your clutch slave cylinder. a seach of threads here will advise you to replace, not rebuild.
i did one a couple of weeks ago.
$65 from toy dealer or $49 from NAPA.
need break fluid.
bleed cyliner after replacing and you're back on the road!

Replace the clutch slave and master cylinders, easy job. Around 125.00 total and you should be good to go.

Thanks, all! I told little bro we'd have an answer in 5 minutes and you delivered in less. He's breathing a big sigh of relief. He will forever be a loyal Mudder.

Make sure you do both the master and slave at the same time, when one fails the other is most likely to fail shortly after. Get it all done in one sitting. Also make sure you adjust the slave rod appropriately, use search and FAQ's and you will find the correct adjustment procedures.

Anybody run DOT 5 fluid instead of DOT3 ? supposed to be good for 4x4 because it doesn't absorbe water. If you wee going to change out the slave and master you should be able to flush out the line and change over. Just food for thought.

I've rebuilt my master once..... and the slave about 4 times in 20 years ... if you do it right, it is easy fast and cheap.
I dont believe that just because the slave leaks its time to rebuild the master.
oh, and by the way the rebuild kits are like 12 dollars ... thats cheap enough to keep in the tool box , just in case.
you never know when it's goona go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom