Real Time Help Needed- Charcoal Cannister on Road near Vegas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ve read a couple things although I think they were mostly opinions as opposed to a proven cause. One is the use of ethanol in gasoline. Although I wonder then why other foreign cars aren’t known for this problem? One I heard also was owners “topping off” when refueling, possibly causing excess fuel to enter the system. My own opinion is simply age. My car is 14 years old so I can’t really be too surprised I don’t think.

If you change one out, I would recommend getting the associated hoses / clamps to swap out while under it. I didn’t, but may do so soo we than later...

Not at all. Don't know a darn thing about the engineering, so above my pay grade so to consider modifying!

Last edited:
Part number for the Charcoal Cannister? Thank you!

@Live to Ski you are local, you thinking about doing yours?

The number I used for my ‘04 LX was 77740-60440. Perfect fit.

Got the new cannister in the mail the other day. Took about an hour to replace. Real easy job. I didn’t try any of the testing of the valves and all, I just went for it based on other’s experience on the forum. I’ll find out this summer whether that fixed the problem. I feel like the old one is heavier, but that may just be me thinking it’s full of gas. 4 tubes, one plug and three rust free bolts and you’re done!

View attachment 1900572

77740-60440 worked for me. 2005 Land Cruiser. I had codes P0442, P0455, P2418, P0441, and P0456.

Part number for 3 bolts:

91626-B0818

Part numbers for clamps:

96133-41500

96132-51100

96133-41300

90959-04001

This high altitude high heat truck shutting off issue is a known problem with these trucks, if you're just on vacation you need to live with it for the trip.
It is a EVAP issue.

And yet I have this issue presenting as fuel pump:

Could all of these be combinations of fuel pumps as well as evap?

I went through this ordeal this past week at hih. Smell of gas and hissing/bubbling at the cap. Tried to vent it the first day, then realized almost every 03+at the event had gas lines coming from the cover down the paint, checked with some veterans there and the consensus is leave it alone, don't try and vent. And sure enough, it didn't get worse and of course it wasn't an issue when i got home.

Only thing is don't top off the tank. I only used premium, but mainly because it became a dog at elevation and low tire psi.

I'm not in a rush to fix it as it isn't a problem now, but I'd love an update if that took care of it.

I only used premium, but mainly because it became a dog at elevation

My anecdote is don't use high-test at elevation. Much less retarded ignition is needed. Only "85" research octane is used at elevation already for low-test regular. Less oxygen partial pressure means possibly/marginally incomplete burn.

I'm seeing a slight indication of this whole thing with premium fuel and elevation, thus my question.

My anecdote is don't use high-test at elevation. Much less retarded ignition is needed. Only "85" research octane is used at elevation already for low-test regular. Less oxygen partial pressure means possibly/marginally incomplete burn.

I'm seeing a slight indication of this whole thing with premium fuel and elevation, thus my question.

I only ever use 85 octane.

Last edited:
@mmbirtcher any updates since you replaced the charcoal/evap canister? When I purchased my ‘05 LX470, it came with a folder full of past service receipts and one of the codes was P0456. They replaced the gas cap and I’ve never seen a check engine light or smelled fuel. But my fuel economy has never been above 14mpg on the highway. My old 2002 LC always got 16-17mpgs on the highway and it had over 300k on the clock. Wondering if I replace the CC if I might see a little difference in economy on the highway.

thanks in advance

Don’t recall any difference in fuel economy, but the fuel smell issue never returned.

Just moved my wife's 2004 LC, 98K miles to Panama City Beach Florida. 2 weeks ago was really hot and I had filled tank. Not a day or two later (drive less than 5 miles a day) got a CEL. Pulled codes tonight, 2 sets of P0441, P0446, P0455 and P2418.

Is this likely same issue? Just due to heat not altitude? Drives just fine...of course topped tank off last week due to Hurricane Ian so will be a week or so until I use any significant gas.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom