Real Time Help Needed- Charcoal Cannister on Road near Vegas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My stepson and I are traveling the TAT in my 2004 LX 470. We are on 15 at Cima Road I believe. We were at about 3500 off pavement when I started smelling gas. I opened the cap and let it off-gas for a bit, then got down to the highway. The problem has rectified, but as we have about 8 days of off- road travel still planned at elevation through UT, AZ & CO, it’s something I have to either get repaired or “work around”.

My hope is for a local Cruiser head independent shop in Vegas or vicinity if anyone knows one? Otherwise a Lexus / Land Cruiser dealer that would be willing to fix it right away? I’m sure if I were at home, I could order and replace fairly easy, and while I carry the tools I’d probably need, laying on the pavement in this weather to mess with it doesn’t sound optimal.

I do believe this cannister is the one under the truck.

Any advice or help from locals appreciated!

Or perhaps shops between here and UT, as it’s Saturday and seems to be ok on the highway..

I take my LC to Precision Performance off of Spring Mountain Rd when I can't handle a repair. They won't be open until Monday though. There are 4-5 Toyota dealers in the Valley but they will most likely need to order a canister if that's what needs to be replaced.

It should be near the spare.

Can you get away with not filling up all the way? How much fuel did you have?

Alternatively, you can try and live with it for the duration of your trip. When you return home, all should be normal.

The 100 Evap system doesn’t do well at high altitude/heat, perhaps because it was not designed for ethanol blended fuels. Finding ethanol-free fuel might help.

I was over 3/4 tank, maybe 7/8. Will it be ok just watching at least through Monday? Fill to just 3/4? Should be camped at Red Rocks outside Vegas tonight. Will occasional pull- over and venting the tank work? I haven’t heard of one blowing up or catching fire I don’t think? More than happy to monitor if safe. Don’t want a BLEVE.

IMO, The safest thing you can do is let the Evap system’s, over-pressure valve do it’s thing and let the vapors release at it’s slow but controlled rate. Cracking the fuel cap, the hot vapors are extremely volatile and flammable. They can also melt the paint around the fuel filler door.

100 Caught fire & gas tank venting concerns

It was definitely making a boiling sound. Would filling to 3/4 help? No problems since yesterday, but I’m still concerned about higher temps and altitudes. I’ll have spotty service on our way to Grand Canyon today, but keep an eye on it and still consider stopping for service somewhere if it doesn’t keep behaving.

It was definitely making a boiling sound. Would filling to 3/4 help? No problems since yesterday, but I’m still concerned about higher temps and altitudes. I’ll have spotty service on our way to Grand Canyon today, but keep an eye on it and still consider stopping for service somewhere if it doesn’t keep behaving.

DO NOT OPEN THE GAS CAP WHEN THIS HAPPENS!!!!! That is how fires start. You basically vapor locked the fuel pump and venting the gas tank can cause fuel to go spraying out of the tank and any ignition source will ignite the fuel and you will loose your truck.

This high altitude high heat truck shutting off issue is a known problem with these trucks, if you're just on vacation you need to live with it for the trip.
It is a EVAP issue.

I just had a thought, leave the gas cap off. Just set it in place but do not screw it in.

Well it behaved for the most part with very little odor including runs over Cinnamon and Ophir. Never filled over 3/4 until back on regular roads. Thanks for the advice, particularly in not venting the cap. I imagine I’ll replace the canister sooner than later if that’s the resolution. It seems the high heat, moderate altitude was the hardest on the system.

If this is a trip you take only once a year kinda thing I wouldn't spend the money on it. It won't act up except then.

My 2002 Land Cruiser with 47,000 miles is driving me crazy with the gas smell as it gets hotter here in Vegas in the afternoon. My previous 98 with 328K miles would only stink it up when I climbed to higher altitude. The 02 starts gurgling and smelling up the cab just driving in town (Vegas) as the afternoon comes and it gets hotter. What is the answer? Do I replace only the Charcoal Canister or more? It's bad. Anyone know what is best to do? If the answer is to replace the CC is it easy enough to do myself? Thanks All...

From what I’ve read IIRC, the canister is likely the solution, and I think it’s in the engine bay on the earlier 100’s. Some guys have modified cheaper Delco ones to work I think. Some super-adventurous types have even refilled with new charcoal after cutting them open. Mine is in back under the frame near the spare, but a non-issue in 500 ft St Louis even though 90’s plus is common in the summer (with 80% humidity!!).

Sorry, I reread yours. I’m guessing the 02 may be under the frame also like my 04. Not sure what year that moved. Not sure why I haven’t read about permanent solutions either.

Last edited:
Nice. I’m sure that’s easier to deal with in that location. Good luck with yours!

Ordering a new canister today. At $300 it’s not too crazy a price to go ahead and replace. I’ll see if there’s any more issues this summer.

Got the new cannister in the mail the other day. Took about an hour to replace. Real easy job. I didn’t try any of the testing of the valves and all, I just went for it based on other’s experience on the forum. I’ll find out this summer whether that fixed the problem. I feel like the old one is heavier, but that may just be me thinking it’s full of gas. 4 tubes, one plug and three rust free bolts and you’re done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom