Re key or have it done by locksmith? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So from what I gather of this thread, a 1985 Pickup should have a single key?

When I bought it second hand, it came with 2 key set up. Does that mean either the doors or ignition was changed at some point? Or will there be 2 codes on it if it was a factory 2 key jobbie

My ignition cylinder is getting a smidge sticky. Just wondering if the door code will do me any good.

Possibly just get the key code, cut that key, then drop my cylinder off with the new key to a trained professional?

Is the $20 beck arnley option worth my time if I dont care about having a 2 key system? ....although the OE toyota key does give me that warm fuzzy feeling of not looking like a guaranteed POS LOL

So from what I gather of this thread, a 1985 Pickup should have a single key?

When I bought it second hand, it came with 2 key set up. Does that mean either the doors or ignition was changed at some point? Or will there be 2 codes on it if it was a factory 2 key jobbie

My ignition cylinder is getting a smidge sticky. Just wondering if the door code will do me any good.

Possibly just get the key code, cut that key, then drop my cylinder off with the new key to a trained professional?

Is the $20 beck arnley option worth my time if I dont care about having a 2 key system? ....although the OE toyota key does give me that warm fuzzy feeling of not looking like a guaranteed POS LOL
Yes, single key for the entire truck.

Door code is useful if the door cylinders have not been rekeyed.

Yes, get the key code, have the dealer cut you a key. Then take the ignition cylinder with the new and old key to a lock smith and have them repin. I would make sure the door key you have now will slide into the ignition cylinder.

Aftermarket ignition cylinder is up to you.

The key is the right size.

Went ahead and pulled the pass door tumbler.

Does this look about right for the key code? Took me awhile to preserve that marking to a clear enough state. My own eye balls can at a glance through a real magnifying glass see a 4 digit number. Maybe a K in the bottom right corner.

The picture is best I can do through a magnifying glass app on my phone.

Last edited:
Seriously, sharing with the world? Now anybody can cut a key to your truck.

Should be K#### format.

There is NO way there is a clear as day K#### format. Grasping at straws with whats there. Trying to find out if thats to be expected as a marking or if I should cut my losses on that.

I will double check at half time and dig up the pic i usually post on the subject.

K1### on this cylinder.

20191217_071605-blackout-sm.jpg

Yeah, those are the kinds of stampings I expected to see.

Absolutely no way this tumbler has seen that kind of marking .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom