RCV birf and axles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2fpower

SILVER Star
Threads
Looking to get a set of axles for FOO, my 80 toy. Read an article somewhere on RCV axles that are being made. Anyone have good/bad things to say about them, or a good vendor to purchase them through?

Cheers,

Looking to get a set of axles for FOO, my 80 toy. Read an article somewhere on RCV axles that are being made. Anyone have good/bad things to say about them, or a good vendor to purchase them through?

Cheers,

I've been running the Longfield's on 37" tires for a few months now with no issues. I've put almost 10,000 miles in that time and been to Superlift, Moab, and Ouray in the past month alone and they've handled it all. You can't get true Longfield's any longer since Trail Gear fxxxed that up but RCV is picking up where they left off. I don't know if any supporting vendors have them but I've ordered several times from davez offroad and have been happy.

http://www.davezoffroadperformance....e/solid-axle-swap/front/long-field-axles.html

Thanks, and very jealous of your offroad adventures in the past months......

I did Moab, rubithon, snake lake loop, and rubicon again in the past 8 weeks :steer:

Oem axles with 140k on them, running 315 km2s though, so no where near the stress of 37s

I did Moab, rubithon, snake lake loop, and rubicon again in the past 8 weeks :steer:

Oem axles with 140k on them, running 315 km2s though, so no where near the stress of 37s

Correction, only 1/4th of the Snake Lake loop :flipoff2:

are these being made with 30 splines in the birf race? That existed for a bit(thanks bobby long), but passed when he did:( dunno if RCV carried on with this or if the chromo stuff is the factory semi coarse 24 spline in there(and the neck down for steering clearance)?

RCV made them for Longfield and has made them for all kinds of applications for years. They know what they're doing.

About ready to pull trigger, any supporting vendors of MUD selling these?

My birfs have been clicking for the last year. Had to make a hard u-turn at a the legends of the autobahn event in Monterey and they got much louder. Decided it was time for a rebuild.

Did some research and by chance the latest "4WD Toyota Owner" magazine did a review of the RCV birfs. Great article with a ton of history between Bobby Long and and RCV, and a step by step guide on the rebuild. Will use this and the u tube videos out there. Decided RCV was the way to go.

On the front page of the website, RCV is offering a $150 discount through September.

Nice discount and what sounds like the best birf on the market equals a no brainer purchase. Purchased through Low Range offroad for the complete kit and RCV still honored the rebate. Low Range was great and worked with Glen who has an 80 and helped me choose some items.

I expect to get very greasy this weekend.

Here is another question, shortly after the birfs got loud, my ABS light came on. Anyone else experience this? Any idea what the cause might be? I could feel the ABS pulsing on the brake pedal. Went ahead and ordered new rotors since I will have everything torn apart.

Competitive?! Sheesh, that is nearly the cost of ONE side of OEM.

EZ7mcEW.jpg

Is part time still advisable with these or will they hold up to full time DD use?

Forgot to mention low range has a $50 off special on RCV axles so between them and the RCV rebate you are looking at just under $700. Just saying.

From what I've read they're perfectly fine to use in a daily driver. I do mine but only have about 10,000 miles on them.

The consensus seems to be that they are stronger than OEM but will wear markedly faster than OEM.

Directly from Bobby

NO- you will get more milse than that not as long stock, 60k to 80k is more like it now. Thanks Bobby.:)

That's a good amount of miles before you have to bother with them.

Forgot to mention low range has a $50 off special on RCV axles so between them and the RCV rebate you are looking at just under $700. Just saying.

So you got the RCV 30/30 axles for the 80 for $150 off of $885? The deal on the website homepage says it's only taking $150 off if you upgrade to the 300M inner shafts, which don't appear to be an option for the 80. Unless I'm missing something.

I read the article you are talking about. It was in a Toyota magazine that I can't remember the name of. I book marked the website for when I will be replacing my stock axles during the next front end service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom