Raising rear link mounts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I plan to remove my rear axle to clean, paint and rebuild it. I have a slee 4" lift. I already raised the panhard bar axle mount 4 " inches and was planning to raising the lower link mounts 2" to the center point of the axle and raising the upper links to match. All of my links are aftermarket and adjustable. This would obviously flatten out my links a little for improved drivability and a little less rear steer when flexed. This would not be too much work for me to do. I have researched and have not found anyone ever doing this. I am just reaching out if anyone has an opinion about raising the rear link mounts or have done it.

As long as you have clearance above the upper mounts and frame/body and, as you said, it’s not too much work for you, you might as well be a leader on the subject.

As for myself, and apparently most, it does seem like a lot of work for the imagined gain.

If you raise the lower links you will loose mechanical advantage keep the axle from turning and be relying on the upper links solely.
I'm not sure that's a good idea, but good luck.

Hi neighbor
Is the gas tank in the way of what you planing on doing ?

I also did it, soaks road/trail way smoother. Me and kid are doing this mod again sometime in the fall.

I also did it, soaks road/trail way smoother. Me and kid are doing this mod again sometime in the fall.
How does moving the lower link mounts up affect on road performance and driving experience?

and was planning to raising the lower link mounts 2" to the center point of the axle and raising the upper links to match. All of my links are aftermarket and adjustable. This would obviously flatten out my links a little for improved drivability
If you are moving the link mount same amount or to match how well that Flatten out the links. now if you were just raising the rear's that would flatten out the links. 🤷‍♂️ Not a smart a** question just trying to rap my head around what you doing.

How does moving the lower link mounts up affect on road performance and driving experience?
Flatter links have less leverage on any road obstacle creating a smooth suspension transition. I noticed it right away coming from an 80 on 4” bolt on suspension to a 3 link front /4 link rear. It’s was a pleasure driving it everywhere as well as hitting rocks. It became less jumpy and more transitional. I will say it’s an incredible upgrade, I am sure others who have done will say the same ?

Flatter links have less leverage on any road obstacle creating a smooth suspension transition. I noticed it right away coming from an 80 on 4” bolt on suspension to a 3 link front /4 link rear. It’s was a pleasure driving it everywhere as well as hitting rocks. It became less jumpy and more transitional. I will say it’s an incredible upgrade, I am sure others who have done will say the same ?
How far up did you move the brackets? Did you raise the upper link brackets as well? Sounds interesting.

If you are moving the link mount same amount or to match how well that Flatten out the links. now if you were just raising the rear's that would flatten out the links. 🤷‍♂️ Not a smart a** question just trying to rap my head around what you doing.

I think he just want to move the 4 brackets on the Axle only and leave the 4 brackets on the frame side. If he move the 4 brackets on the Axle up 2 inches, it will flatten out the 4 control arms angle, and pretty much put it back to the factory geometry since he running a 4 inch lift. The 4 brackets on the axle is not going interfere with the gas tank.

I think he just want to move the 4 brackets on the Axle only and leave the 4 brackets on the frame side. If he move the 4 brackets on the Axle up 2 inches, it will flatten out the 4 control arms angle, and pretty much put it back to the factory geometry since he running a 4 inch lift. The 4 brackets on the axle is not going interfere with the gas tank.
OK I get it now, but to get them flat you would need to move them 4" up to put it back to factory geometry for a 4" lift.

How far up did you move the brackets? Did you raise the upper link brackets as well? Sounds interesting.
I can’t remember how much, I worked with the space I had, on a few words:
I moved the rear axle back (about 3” or so). I deleted the upper cross member and based calculations on that space. I was able to run the uppers with the stock tank, just trimmed the skid where needed. Don’t have many pics, figure this one helps a visual

D837D854-0F07-4BCC-9CEB-070A919B58D8.jpeg

I can’t remember how much, I worked with the space I had, on a few words:
I moved the rear axle back (about 3” or so). I deleted the upper cross member and based calculations on that space. I was able to run the uppers with the stock tank, just trimmed the skid where needed. Don’t have many pics, figure this one helps a visual

View attachment 2718314
Appears to be a slightly modified rear axle and suspension. How on earth do I continue to get where I want to go and on tiny 37” tires to boot. 👍🏼
B20A27D6-320F-45BE-B566-978DFEE4A640.jpeg
8D61BAC8-8F89-4185-B022-16A4DDE6A498.jpeg

Appears to be a slightly modified rear axle and suspension. How on earth do I continue to get where I want to go and on tiny 37” tires to boot. 👍🏼
Yes, that was a non Toyota axle but concept is the same! I think is hard to adjust the upper on stock components while keeping it at the same place (haven’t been under the 80 in a while and my brain, like any of us, is spinning two million kms and hour so hard to remember )
I am gathering components to do a semi custom suspension for my sons lx450 on 37’s. It might take a wild but for sure re linking the rear with the stock axle and just 4” lift coils at the same location.

Cool.

Its common in Australia to increase the length of lower rear links on Nissan Patrol to improve articulation and handling. But Patrols have shorter lower links than 80's

I've read few times of guys raising rear links on the axle housing for clearance.

I'd like to do this, and increase the length of lower links, and move the frame mount inboard and above the bottom of the frame to eliminate the hang up on the rear bracket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom