Radiator Barn - Drain Plug Fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

werd

SILVER Star
Threads
I picked up a new radiator from Radiator Barn for my 1974 FJ40.

When installing the new radiator, I discovered the drain hole on the bottom of the radiator didn't quite line up with the drain access hole of radiator support frame.

IMG00015.jpg

Thankfully, I had removed the provided plastic, winged drain plug before I installed the radiator, if not I would have had to remove the radiator to unscrew the drain plug. Also, I could not have even gotten the plug in there without having to modify it and since it is plastic I would have probably rendered it useless.

Well, I searched and found that other Radiator Barn customers had also experienced this problem. So, I am posting my fix for future reference for others that experience this problem.

I took a trip to my local TrueValue to see what I could find. I was thinking I could get an 1/8" brass nipple and plug it for a drain, but the threads were not the same. So, I asked for advice and explained my problem to the guy that had been helping me out. Well, upon inspecting the plastic drain plug, the salesman noticed that it was 3/8" bolt thread.

:idea:

Well, this fix was a little easier now. I picked up a 3/8" bolt and went home. Before installing, I first put on a fender washer, then I removed the gasket off the the plastic drain plug that came with the radiator to provide a seal. The bolt easily fit through the access of the support frame to the drain hole and could be tighten with a socket wrench.

IMG00017.jpg

I filled up the new radiator and took to test drive. No leaks.

Overall I am VERY satisfied with the new radiator and the speedy service of Radiator Barn. I ordered on Monday and had the replacement on Tuesday. I went with a 4 row model for $10 more. Free shipping too!

Also, I have to thank my "LOCALLY" owned TrueValue for the solution to my problem.

I hope this helps someone out one day.

:beer:

I've too have a Radiator Barn rad. I'm very happy with the product with minor exception to this plug issue. I'm happy to see you found a cheap and easy fix. I'll have to get on that one, maybe a petcock???...

I've too have a Radiator Barn rad. I'm very happy with the product with minor exception to this plug issue. I'm happy to see you found a cheap and easy fix. I'll have to get on that one, maybe a petcock???...

I was toying around with a 1/8" x 2-1/2" brass nipple and tried threading it (3/8" NC 16) on one end to fit into the drain hole. On the pipe thread end, I was going to use an 1/8" brass coupling with a plug. This way, it would extend down below the frame support like the original. However, the diameter of the 1/8" nipple was too big, so the dye cut all the way through the pipe. Oh well, worth the try.

I forgot to mention about the 3/8" bolt selection. Well, I guess I was excited when the solution became known that I forgot to buy stainless. :bang: Also, I used a 3/8 (16) 3/4 length bolt, however I think 1/2 length would be fine too. There's plenty of room to work with, so if you are in a bind you can use a longer bolt. Just make sure it's not too long.

I checked on my rad. today and found the bung in my radiator to be M10x1.5. I was going to plumb in a petcock but have settled for the cheap fix of an M10 bolt. I wish I had the stock petcock setup but it's long gone. I'm glad I found your thread as I almost forgot to address this issue with the plastic wingnut NOT working properly.

radiator petcock

I am glad you got it fixed.

Not that we use rad petcocks all that often but I like the fact that you can drain it out the hose especially when hot.

Even with the OEM drains you wind up needing tools to open it but
here's and idea if anyone thinks like me -------"lazy"

I suppose a small line hanging down to an oem type would work if you loctited the line in and anti-seized the petcock

Run a hard line or intall a barbed union and hose to a petcock of this type, maybe safety wire the handle or put it inside the eng compartment away from "jokers"

if you go with the bolt you may want to use some thread sealant or teflon tape---I have a feeling that might leak when hot

sure would make draining easy
CT-PET-COCK-RM1_is.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom