rack and pinion stering.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Pros and coins? My friend feels we should put this on my fj 40...please help me!

Rack & Pinion would be an aweful aborition, I would think. Using an orbit valve an hydro would be a lot easier.

rack & pinion does not work well on a live axle rig. go IFS and you may have something.

I looked in to this a while back and it really is a bad idea considering the amount of work to do a rack versus the amount of work for a full gm sag set up from the column to the tie rods. Plus there are even easier ways of getting p/s so

Pros and coins? My friend feels we should put this on my fj 40...please help me!

Why would you want to downgrade to a weaker setup?

How would you install it?

rack & pinion does not work well on a live axle rig. go IFS and you may have something.

This, swap in a Taco frame, then you will also be "upgraded" to IFS? :confused:

BTW, there are plenty of strong Rack and pinion systems.. That is exactly what trophy trucks use. However, expect to be in them about 6K...

I actually saw a Land Cruiser for sale online that had been converted to rack and pinion steering - so it definitely CAN be done. That said, this particular truck was some street only, hotrodded, 40 "show-truck." I agree with what has been said above - the amount of work required, plus the fact that the real world benefits are pretty much non-existent, would point me in another direction. Lots of folks have converted to mini truck, FJ60, or Saginaw steering setups with great success (I run saginaw). I think @DSRTRDR (seeing if this tag thing works) just converted her truck with the box out of an 80-series, but I may be making that up. Fact is, you have options, most of which are better, and cheaper, than Rack and Pinion for a solid axle vehicle.

yup, Tools R Us stuck an 80-box into my 40 :) I still have to get used to it (have only driven the truck twice since)

the 80 box was mounted in the same position a 60 steering box would be mounted

BTW, there are plenty of strong Rack and pinion systems.. That is exactly what trophy trucks use. However, expect to be in them about 6K...

Yep, was thinking of the more common "swap from production" option, sorry, carry on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom