R151F rebuild and upgrades (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm looking at rebuilding the gearbox in my PZJ70. I'm pretty sure it's a R151F (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I'm wondering if there are any upgraded parts that are better than the stock toyota ones that I should install in it.

I've had a look at some marlin crawler parts and short shifter kit but wondering if there are any other things I should do while it's getting rebuilt. Also is there any rebuild kits that are arguably better than other kits?

Also I'm looking at welding or replacing the dual mass flywheel and was wondering what the best solution is for new clutch/fixed flywheel.

I'm in New Zealand if that matters.

There was at least one Oz gearbox rebuilder offering upgraded R150s, can't remember the details but have a google & you should find them.

Be aware that although they are super common in many Toyotas there are a few variations between the R15* boxes & many parts are not interchangable.

Cheers
Clint

Maybe you'd want to go for a slightly higher 5th gear, 0.79 overdrive instead of the factory 0.84. This results in a reduction of about 200rpm at cruising speeds.

There is some good info for slight upgrades, shifter forks and a 5th gear ratio upgrade in this build thread. Guy used his original r151 behind a 1hdft swap.

Probably my favorite build on here.
I also have a friend here in Chch that rebuilt a r151 from a pzj not long ago for someone, had some small problems with parts as I believe some things are different to the hilux boxes.
If you're local at all he would be good to chat too or possibly willing to do the job.

There is some good info for slight upgrades, shifter forks and a 5th gear ratio upgrade in this build thread. Guy used his original r151 behind a 1hdft swap.

Probably my favorite build on here.
I also have a friend here in Chch that rebuilt a r151 from a pzj not long ago for someone, had some small problems with parts as I believe some things are different to the hilux boxes.
If you're local at all he would be good to chat too or possibly willing to do the job.

That sounds bloody good, I'm based in dunners but I'll have a chat to him. Got any contact details you can dm me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom