question on rear step, which one (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pbgbottle

Forum Lifer
Threads
just wonder why there is two different rear steps for the 40 or is one for a 45 or something ?? any info would be appreciated ,
step.jpg
step 1.jpg

Early style, pre 08-72 iirc (lower)

Later style post 09-73 iirc (upper)

:beer:

just wonder why there is two different rear steps for the 40 or is one for a 45 or something ?? any info would be appreciated ,

Where can you buy these steps now? I looked on SOR and CCOT but nobody seems to have them. Also, where best place to buy bumperettes? I only see them in stock at CCOT for about $69/pr.

There is a rig near me that has an integrated rear step with trailer step. I'll try to take a pic. Is that a homemade item?

Ok.. thanks guys.

Where can you buy these steps now? I looked on SOR and CCOT but nobody seems to have them. Also, where best place to buy bumperettes? I only see them in stock at CCOT for about $69/pr.

There is a rig near me that has an integrated rear step with trailer step. I'll try to take a pic. Is that a homemade item?

Ok.. thanks guys.

I've got a step that came off of my '69 40 I'll sell you. I'm in Palm Springs area.

Second on bumperettes. Good condition used in classifieds pretty often too.

fjjonnie, if ARC1 doesn't want your step, I have a '66 that does. I'll send a PM.

Second on bumperettes. Good condition used in classifieds pretty often too.

fjjonnie, if ARC1 doesn't want your step, I have a '66 that does. I'll send a PM.

Take it.. I appreciate the reply.
I realized that I might not need step or bumperettes, because I'm going to go with a swing-out spare tire carrier/bumper.

But thanks.. you guys are awesome! :beer:

Hey Poser, I have a question... I know this is old as dirt but...

Looking at the pics, is it possible to just bend the tabs to the opposite side to make them work on other years?

Or is the width completely different?

Looking at the pics, is it possible to just bend the tabs to the opposite side to make them work on other years?

The bolt holes already line up. The problem with the older steps is that the sides will hit the inside of the bumperettes (since the curved side of the bumperette faces inward) if you tried to use one on a later model truck.

With the 74 model the tail lights got wider causing the bumperettes to move closer together. I filled in the holes on a later one to use on my 68. The flanges at the back line up with holes in the rear crossmember. It's just the that holes are to far apart to match the holes that are in the crossmember. There are four small holes on each side of the pintle holes on the early crossmember. The narrower step (of the two early steps) fit the inside holes and that wide step matches the outside holes. The later step is more universal in tha it can be made to work on all FJ40 pretty easy.:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom