question for the Audiophiles: upgrade and replace the factory stereo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.coopxgear.com
so, I've been using the factory stereo with a plug in fm transmitter/charger for my ipod for years, i think its about time to upgrade the whole system, so new speakers, amp, head unit etc'

I haven't put a car stereo in a car in about 20 years, so whats the quality gear out there?

My main concern is it has a good interface for the ipod, so charging while it plays would be great. Even better if i can control the ipod from the unit.

As for speakers, I know one front door is blown, the other is spotty at best. so I'm thinking to replace the front doors, back doors, and add the woofer to the rear passenger side.

Whats the best speaker for each location? coaxials in front with mids in back, then adding tweeters somewhere? I hear that there is some clearance issues with the front door, is that true?

Edumacate me audiophiles!

I went with a Kenwood head unit. Mainly because it uses Gamin for its NAV system. The iPod interface does everything you posted as criteria. Overall I'm happy. Bluetooth for the phone is also nice. I also run the Sirius and again control though the head unit touch screen.

Speakers are a whole other story. If you want to keep the factory grills your options are very limited. If not then you can do pretty much whatever you want. Searching will yield many threads on speaker installs. Pioneer makes an inexpensive speaker that will clear the OEM grills up front. Kenwood also make a powered sub that can be installed in the OEM rear location without too much drama.

Overall anything you install will be a major improvement over stock.

which kenwood unit did you go with?

any suggestions on speaker locations other than stock? im not worried about changing the grills, my only req for that is the color matches, so spray paint is my friend in this case.

I went with the lowest end NAV unit at the time. DDX512? Don't remember the model number. Any double din unit will fit the location. I installed the cheap Pioneer speakers being the factory grills. I also run a set of MTX truck boxes in the cargo area with an amp.

I just run speakers in the OEM locations but you can go bigger in the rear if you want to just cut the openings larger. Again if you use the search function you can find many threads showing different speaker installs.

I did the pioneer speakers everyone recommended in the speaker thread. They sounded just ok until I installed the jvc 730bt headunit. Now they sound pretty damn good. I did a single din because I don't drive the cruiser all the time and didn't want the stereo to be a reason to smash a window in.

All in I have right around $200 total for ipod control, bluetooth, color matched stereo and 4 speakers. And I gained a pocket in the dash to put my phone in. :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using IH8MUD

Corbet and Vacman speak the truth! :D I have about $200 invested with a single-din Alpine (103BT) with iPod/iPhone and bluetooth; I'm biased to Alpine and their green is pretty close to factory. I run a VHF radio in the lower area of the double-din location. The Mud-recommended Pioneer speakers in the stock locations (Walmart - $60 for all 4) and sounds much better. I run an auxiliary GPS and double-din was not a requirement and like to reduce the snatch-and-grab factor. You can spend more and load a lot of equipment but honestly a new HU and speakers will sound much better than the aging OEM unit with emaciated AMPs.

This is a timely thread! My new 2-DIN stereo arrived today and the harness. What's the secret to getting started on the demo of the factory stereo? Pound? Pry? :hmm:

Belay my last. :whoops:

Found the awesome FAQ.

I'm looking at both the Kenwoods and Alpines now, refresh my memory, will i need pre-amp/amps crossover etc. Where are you guys mounting an amp?

I went with the JVC KW-NT3HDT DVD/Navigation double din. They use Navigon - which doesn't have the most accurate database, but close enough if you know what you're doing. It's lower price, bluetooth audio and detachable face were what attracted me to it. In some ways I prefer it over the factory one in my ISF. The JVC will still let my passenger enter info while moving and it has traffic rerouting options.

I've added Kenwwod coaxials in the front doors and an 8" 250w bazooka tube. Instead of running of the head unit amp, I've used the factory amp connections.

Been very pleased with the set-up.

I've recently added a JVC KW-AVX640 double din DVD to mine, very happy with it so far.
Removable face place, plays DiVX, and lots of options for Iphone connectivity including their navigation app. Sadly I do not own an iPhone, but still it's a nice unit.

ok, ive been doing lots of reading, searching etc. So I am mulling over costs vs options for the head unit. Now onto speakers

while looking at the front door it doesnt look like there's alot of room if i replace the grill, i see that folks are saying there is a depth restriction so spacers are required. I'm looking at these for the front doors,

Rockford Fosgate

will they fit? any thoughts?

as for the rear doors, would making those mids only and mounting a tweeter someplace like say on the B-pillar above the seat belt bracket be a decent place? Something like these maybe?

Rockford Fosgate

I understand there are some speakers in the dash, whats your thoughts on those? I'd like to just use that location for a short-wave radio speaker.

I'm still researching subwoofers, I'd like to keep them in the rear side panels, as i have a drawer system, fridge set up and dont want to lose the space to a box.

yeah, Kenwood discontinued that particular item.

I am not worried about the factory grill, any grill is fine with me, i'm just wondering if they will even fit.

wierdbeard said:
ok, ive been doing lots of reading, searching etc. So I am mulling over costs vs options for the head unit. Now onto speakers

while looking at the front door it doesnt look like there's alot of room if i replace the grill, i see that folks are saying there is a depth restriction so spacers are required. I'm looking at these for the front doors,

Rockford Fosgate

will they fit? any thoughts?

as for the rear doors, would making those mids only and mounting a tweeter someplace like say on the B-pillar above the seat belt bracket be a decent place? Something like these maybe?

Rockford Fosgate

I understand there are some speakers in the dash, whats your thoughts on those? I'd like to just use that location for a short-wave radio speaker.

I'm still researching subwoofers, I'd like to keep them in the rear side panels, as i have a drawer system, fridge set up and dont want to lose the space to a box.

The speakers should fit with no issues if you mount them over the door cards. I doubt they'd fit under them.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using IH8MUD

I used the Kenwood sub prior to upgrading to the Bazooka. Been a big fan of them for many years because of their small footprint and adding enough fill for my taste. Prior to the 80, I installed 2 of them in my 2002 WRX under the front seats. However, when I installed the single unit in the 80, I felt it was too underpowered for the amount of airspace in the rig. Going from 2 just under my ass to one in the far back didn't cut it for me. Also, I wanted something close to the Mark Levinson system in my Lexus.

Not wanting to lose too much space, I went with the powered 8in Bazooka. Which fit perfectly under my Wagon Rack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom