Question about best shock replacement on HZJ78 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As stated, I have a 2003 HZJ78 with tired Dobinsons on a 2" (50mm) lift. I don't know what model or size the Dobinsons are. Looking for some suggestions for replacements options (ideal length, IMS vs remote reservoir, etc.). Maybe new versions of what I have are the best route, if I only knew exactly what I have.

The Troopy is a little top heavy, tippy, so I would like to address this as much of that as I can. I want to find harmony between use for aprox. 50% paved road and 50% gravel backroad (incl. a little bit of steep rubble and lumpy creek crossing).

Your experienced input would be appreciated, be it sticking with the same, but new, Dobinsons or otherwise. Thank you.

P1070956.JPG

Hello,

Simple check: get the shock out. Pull it and then compress it. If the movement does not require much effort and you can hear a squealing noise (which can be faint sometimes) then the shock needs replacement.

IMS is good enough for your intended use.

Stick with Dobinsons. Get a new set of shocks and do not look back.

Take the chance to replace the bushings as well.

Juan

Hello,

Simple check: get the shock out. Pull it and then compress it. If the movement does not require much effort and you can hear a squealing noise (which can be faint sometimes) then the shock needs replacement.

IMS is good enough for your intended use.

Stick with Dobinsons. Get a new set of shocks and do not look back.

Take the chance to replace the bushings as well.

Juan
Thanks JuanJ, bushings are definitely being done at the same time. I have found a couple of bushing pieces under the truck, so clearly they are crumbling.

I'm having a hard time figuring this out for myself as well for my KZJ 78. The dealer hear in Okinawa told me it's got a 2" lift. I wanted to make sure I got the right ones so I emailed Dobinsons and they told me to take measurements at the hub and send them. Once I did they said it's only a 1" lift. I don't know if the dealer included the increase in height from larger tires or what but now I'm kind of at a loss as to what size to order since Dobinsons, as far as I can tell doesn't even make a 1" kit. I'm also curious if ordering their bushing kit would be worth the 700+ dollars or if I should just go OEM

I'm having a hard time figuring this out for myself as well for my KZJ 78. The dealer hear in Okinawa told me it's got a 2" lift. I wanted to make sure I got the right ones so I emailed Dobinsons and they told me to take measurements at the hub and send them. Once I did they said it's only a 1" lift. I don't know if the dealer included the increase in height from larger tires or what but now I'm kind of at a loss as to what size to order since Dobinsons, as far as I can tell doesn't even make a 1" kit. I'm also curious if ordering their bushing kit would be worth the 700+ dollars or if I should just go OEM
Bill, did you ever fugure this out?

After some km AND time all suspension sag. Thats is simply how it works.
but no fear We are al in the same boat .
to address you shock aabsorbers,and the tipping problem, My simple advise world be , take away any extra load from the roof. This will greatly reduce the tipping problem AND help shocks .
I have a similar Car , 2004 year, AND found a local compression AND rebound shocks .
but AND reputable brand will work Justin fine.
many of my friends use Koni raid shocks , sliglty adjustable AND good reliability.

Bill, did you ever fugure this out?
Pretty much. I have a Dobinsons 2.5" kit that I'll be picking up from the post office on Tuesday or Wednesday. I took it to a local shop that sort of specializes in Land Cruisers, at least seven on their small lot when I went by, and they said I'd be fine with the 2.5". They'll also be doing a front end rebuild as well as brake rotors and pads at the same time. Should drive and ride much better. Only question is when they'll be able to fit me in since they are pretty busy. The shop is run by a couple of American expats which really helps since there's no communication barrier. I'm also planning on eventually getting a set of gauges installed so I can keep an eye on heat when I get back to the States. I also currently have a 10 blade fan awaiting installation. I'm pretty excited to get rid of the wallowing boat/tractor feel it has now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom