Suspension Seat replacement, slider rail question and bonus question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to replace the crappy aftermarket driver seat that it came with in my 73. Read through a bunch of threads in seats but the one lingering question I have is about the slider rails. Currently, there is an aftermarket recaro base with welded on rails attached to my suspension base. If I look into aftermarket seats or trying to fit a seat from a Subaru or hilux or something do I need the original seat rails or do I need to save this adapter / take the seat rails out of the donor vehicle. I can probably locate some seat rails but they are pricey and don’t want to go down that path if it’s the wrong way.
IMG_4201.jpeg

You can see here the aftermarket base with the rails welded to it. Not really a huge fan of this compared to the OEM levers but even in Japan those parts are hard to come by.
IMG_4200.jpeg

Here is the side of the rail that is not OEM.

IMG_4217.jpeg

Also, does anyone know how to get ahold of the spring and lock lever for the suspension base? Can’t find part numbers anywhere. The previous owner I think took them off to fit this seat base. Currently working on a lever that may or may not work but the spring is being tricky to figure out. I don’t really want to keep my slip ring with turnbuckle contraption I’m using now forever.

Thanks!

Those spring and lock knobs were removed by previous owner because he was too lazy to get the proper adjusting bar. The original adjusting bar on those bride rails will hit the spring and lock knob.

I have those same bride slider and rails you have but I had to get different adjusting bar to clear the knob.

I see you have the right adjusting bar. You just have to remove it and flip it upside down and reinstall. Once you do that, it will clear the knob.

Like this.

All the way back:

F6D022DB-F72C-4883-9594-77033358D007.jpeg

Forward some:

24CCC7E3-ABB6-4F8B-9C39-BDBE0B4D5FA4.jpeg

Those spring and lock knobs were removed by previous owner because he was too lazy to get the proper adjusting bar. The original adjusting bar on those bride rails will hit the spring and lock knob.

I have those same bride slider and rails you have but I had to get different adjusting bar to clear the knob.
Yeah that was my suspicion. I am in the process of trying to turn an old putty knife into a usable lever. Just need to figure out the spring. Already tried one from a razor scooter and it wasn’t nearly strong enough. Also straightened out a key ring. I think my next step is to try and pull a spring from one of the abandoned cars around base.

What seats do you have on this base? I really want OEM but the only used ones I can find are well worn and if I’m going to drop over a grand for one from Toyota I may as well look aftermarket.

Yeah that was my suspicion. I am in the process of trying to turn an old putty knife into a usable lever. Just need to figure out the spring. Already tried one from a razor scooter and it wasn’t nearly strong enough. Also straightened out a key ring. I think my next step is to try and pull a spring from one of the abandoned cars around base.

What seats do you have on this base? I really want OEM but the only used ones I can find are well worn and if I’m going to drop over a grand for one from Toyota I may as well look aftermarket.

That knob can’t be too hard to duplicate with a brake press or something like that.

The seats are scheel-mann vario f. They are the exact same width as bride seats so they sit right on those rails except you have to modify the front to back holes used to mate the seat base to the slider base.

BEA6D228-B90D-45A3-AE9B-3B3814EDF45F.jpeg

B7469BAD-B1E9-4BB2-8650-A89C301AC7F5.jpeg

That knob can’t be too hard to duplicate with a brake press or something like that.

The seats are scheel-mann vario f. They are the exact same width as bride seats so they sit right on those rails except you have to modify the front to back holes used to mate the seat base to the slider base.

View attachment 3478906

View attachment 3478908
Those look great. Might just need to wait on my search until I get back stateside for those or something similar

I see you have the right adjusting bar. You just have to remove it and flip it upside down and reinstall. Once you do that, it will clear the knob.

Like this.

All the way back:

View attachment 3478876

Forward some:

View attachment 3478882
Just wanted to let you know that trick with the bar worked swimmingly. I would have expected it to be a lot harder to remove. Still working on the bracket to get the cable pull distance right but it bought me an inch and a half to get some hardware in there.

Just wanted to let you know that trick with the bar worked swimmingly. I would have expected it to be a lot harder to remove. Still working on the bracket to get the cable pull distance right but it bought me an inch and a half to get some hardware in there.

I am glad it gained you some space.

Since that bride slider/rail set up is specifically for the suspension 70 series bases, the adjusting bar should have came installed that way. Why it wasn't, I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom